Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pull out boot shelf (Calicap)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome and hello Rhyd and Izzy,
The seat covers are Inka sourced via the dealer. If you are a Club VIP member the dealer should give you 5% discount on accessories etc. They are essential with kids and dogs (not that we have a dog). We have eight grandchildren instead so protection is essential. Therefore we have the Inka seat covers on all seven seats, waterproof mattress covers on both beds sourced direct from Comfortz (now available via the club shop). The mattress cover for the downstairs bed was custom made though.
We also have Brandrup carpets through out and mats over the top to keep it easy clean. The rest of the van is wipe clean plastics so ideal for sticky kids and babies.

Like you I'm sure, we always have several packs of baby wipes with us. BTW, the seat covers are wipe clean but can be washed on a cool wash to bring them back to as new.

Thanks Borris, that's super helpful!

Good evening.

I found some pictures (I might have even posted them in the past, but I can't remember....):

The boxes are also handy going shopping. It is easy to put everything in get it to the car and from the car into the house. Even if something spills or breaks it stays at least in the box.
I also use a box if I get burgers from a specific American burger chain. Before I had the boxes I just kept the drinks in the cups in the paper holder on the floor, passengers side. Of course it dropped and the van was full of coke. Now everything goes in a box. Again if something spills it stays in there (ok the Big M... can't be eaten anymore if the drink spills, but at least the van is ok).
When we go away in the summer my wife will get 3x boxes, I get 2x boxes and 1x is for shared things.

Regards,
Eberhard

Thanks @Borris for the box sizes and all the other invaluable info. That is what I love about this forum, so much knowledge sloshing around (see what I did there?)

I have just realised though that as we are getting the 2 seat version this set up won't quite work for us (lucky I read the threads about different multiflex board heights :)) I'm going to have to adapt the packing to fit our set up and the fridge will have to go behind the front passenger seat but the principle of the calidrawer and euro boxes combo is a winner...:thumb
Hi, may we ask did you go for the pull out drawer & storage boxes for a 2 seater Beach? We think this is the system we would like to adopt although still waiting on delivery of our vehicle. Any comments, advice on how you've found this system would be appreciated, thanks.

There is two sizes of this pull out drawer, 800mm ans 760mm. Which one should be used with an Ocean?

Hi, may we ask did you go for the pull out drawer & storage boxes for a 2 seater Beach? We think this is the system we would like to adopt although still waiting on delivery of our vehicle. Any comments, advice on how you've found this system would be appreciated, thanks.
Hi @BeagleMum, no we haven't yet. We've only had the van for 3 months so want to use it for a good while first to see if the drawer would be right for us and our needs. I don't think you can buy them at the moment anyway, due to Brexit :rolleyes:

I'm planning on making one. it seems the hinges are about €160, then I am just going to put a simple self of wood (marine ply) on them. (rather than making a complicated metal frame). I will naturally catalog the whole process/disaster on here for your benefit.

There is two sizes of this pull out drawer, 800mm ans 760mm. Which one should be used with an Ocean?
The 760mm fits the standard space behind the bench. The 800mm allows you to use standard 400x600 plastic crates, but you have to move the bench slightly forward. I have (and recommend) the 800mm version.

I'm planning on making one. it seems the hinges are about €160, then I am just going to put a simple self of wood (marine ply) on them. (rather than making a complicated metal frame). I will naturally catalog the whole process/disaster on here for your benefit.

This might help

This might help
Thats an excellent piece of work, well beyond my ability :rolleyes: I'd happily pay someone to make one up though :)

Good evening,

I got the 800mm CaliCap for my Ocean. I thought about the pros and cons to have the bench 1.5 cm more forward (disadvantage) but the size is optimal for euro size boxes (advantage).

I decided to that the advantage to get most out of the space with euro size boxes is greater then "losing" the 1.5 cm in the living area.

I got the drawer in July of this year and love it. I take the boxes out and go shopping, for storage etc. It is expensive but well worth it.

Regards,
Eberhard

I'm wondering, if the 800mm version forces you to place the bench 1.5cm more to the front of the vehicle, is the nech still locked/safe to transport passengers? I believe (I have a t5SE 2011) that the bench 'clicks' in to place when you slide it. Does it still click safely in place when you move it 1.5 cm?

Good evening,

I only know it from T 6.0 and can confirm that the bench will just securely "click" into place.

Regards,
Eberhard

View attachment 39221

This photo shows the space in the rear compartment with the Calicap 700 fitted. The additional two captains swivel seats could be fitted as well if needed. Note: the bench seat could actualy go back a little further still but I still need to make up some form of rubber stop to prevent the plastic on the rear of the bench seat base coming in contact with the tray subframe when the bench is moved backwards on the floor rails. The rubber stop would prevent any damage to the plastic bench seat trim.

hi Boris. What is the seat cover you have? And how do you manage to click in the isofix with the seat covers? Thnx :)

hi Boris. What is the seat cover you have? And how do you manage to click in the isofix with the seat covers? Thnx :)
They are Inka waterproof seat covers. They are a very good fit and I thoroughly recommend them.
The are tailored to fit very well and include provision (holes) for the isofix. So you don't need to worry. Anyone with kids or dogs should have a set fitted. They can be wiped clean with wet wipes and/or hand washed. They come up like new.

They are Inka waterproof seat covers. They are a very good fit and I thoroughly recommend them.
The are tailored to fit very well and include provision (holes) for the isofix. So you don't need to worry. Anyone with kids or dogs should have a set fitted. They can be wiped clean with wet wipes and/or hand washed. They come up like new.
Thnx, is it this model?

Thnx, is it this model?
Yes.

Part 2. My tray storage for everyday use and camping:

View attachment 39208

Kitchen Box

View attachment 39209

We have found that items tend to drift back into the house or don't get put back into the various boxes after being washed up. So to prevent this, I being rather OCD, compiled a check list of standard essential kit for each box. It sounds a bit anoracky and it is but it's now a simple matter to check if everything is present and correct. The lists which can be easily updated on the computer have been encapsulated and placed in each box.

View attachment 39210

These two boxes are for Electrical equipment (EHU cable etc) and Washing up Equipment respectively.

View attachment 39212

These two boxes at the rear are for veg, groceries and other food stuffs. They only get used when we go away otherwise they remain empty apart from two empty large click top boxes for flours etc. The top box is shallow to take tins etc whilst the bottom box is useful for bulky goods. The water box contains 2 x 5 litres of fresh water. The Fridge/Freezer is a Waeco Dometic CFX 35. The spare 240v and Continental two pin electrical leads are stored in the small gap behind the fridge (front end of the vehicle) in the pull out tray along with a 19mm socket and breaker bar for wheel changing.

View attachment 39213

The Comforts Cali topper stores nicely in the space on top of the Euro boxes. The Comfortz awning room is stowed on top of the VW Comfort mattress on top of the Multiflex. I store a silicon rubber collapsible washing bowl and bucket along with a tray in the gaps between the Multiflex legs and the vehicle side trims

View attachment 39221

This photo shows the space in the rear compartment with the Calicap 700 fitted. The additional two captains swivel seats could be fitted as well if needed. Note: the bench seat could actualy go back a little further still but I still need to make up some form of rubber stop to prevent the plastic on the rear of the bench seat base coming in contact with the tray subframe when the bench is moved backwards on the floor rails. The rubber stop would prevent any damage to the plastic bench seat trim.
I recognise this is an old post, but I just want to say thanks for sharing; we've had our Beach for 3 years now - never quite got packing right and looking to spend the isolation savings on something that will make the whole experience more enjoyable when we can get back out there. Just one question if I may - on the Calicap website the size seems to be 740mm - I assume therefore that 700mm is the internal dimensions and that the 740mm version would be identical to yours and what's shown here?

Hello Rick,
I recognise this is an old post, but I just want to say thanks for sharing; we've had our Beach for 3 years now - never quite got packing right and looking to spend the isolation savings on something that will make the whole experience more enjoyable when we can get back out there. Just one question if I may - on the Calicap website the size seems to be 740mm - I assume therefore that 700mm is the internal dimensions and that the 740mm version would be identical to yours and what's shown here?
The actual tray length of my set up is 740mm, as you have stated, although I am pretty sure that at time of writing they described it on their website as "the 700". I seem to remember they then advertised the 600, 700, 800 and 1000 trays. The fine print may have detailed the exact dimensions. Sorry, I can't remember.

With a 400 and 300mm Eurobox taking up most of the length the remaining 40mm provides space for a breaker bar for wheel changing and a canvas wind shelter for our gas stove.

I am sure you will find the pull out tray and Euroboxes a real game changer. No more pulling everything out whilst tunneling to the back of the boot to find something in the dark. Just pull the tray out and select what you need. The trays are expensive but are exceptionally well made and easy to fit. IMO worth every euro. You can even cook on it under the shelter of the tailgate with the boxes still in situe.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Caleicap drawer is the best investment we made for our Beach

Great post. Are there any major differences to the club shop drawer? Does the club shop drawer optimise space in the same way?

After pondering for a long time I finally ordered the 740mm calicap as they had a discount at the moment. About £500 delivered to the UK - it has already been dispatched

After pondering for a long time I finally ordered the 740mm calicap as they had a discount at the moment. About £500 delivered to the UK - it has already been dispatched
That’s a great discount we bought ours a year ago for well over £700, it’s a great investment

Ordered Friday, arrived today!

Ordered Friday, arrived today!
Please let us know how you get on with fitting and what your stowage plan is. It's always interesting to see different solutions. :thumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back