Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Purchasing a Cali for the first time

snowquick12

snowquick12

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hello,

We are a couple with two young kids (still in child car seats) and a big dog, I did some research so I think we want the California Ocean but I am not sure regarding the specific.
We will purchase the van (used) in Germany, and I have some requirements that lead me to think I am aiming towards the Ocean, but would love to get your feedback on that please, mainly on what specific years have some specific feautues.

- I need a AWD, I guess this one by itself means I can only go with the California Ocean?
- Budget of up to 70,000 EUR strict
- Apple Carplay, some might make fun out of it but it is very convenient and I would say it's a must for me, what is the earliest year it comes stock? I don't want aftermarket radio head unit for that...
- Adaptive Cruise Control, I have seen there are few sub-options for this feature, any recommendations on that? any specific years or features I really want or I need to steer away from?
- I don't know if it's exist in the Cali but would be nice to have a 360 camera if possible? again - what years or sub-models has it?

Thanks a lot!
Hopefully I will join the Cali family soon :)

Cheers,
- Gavin

To answer some of your questions from the perspective of a Cali Coast owner in Germany, but purchased in the Netherlands

- I need a AWD, I guess this one by itself means I can only go with the California Ocean? Nope EU spec Coasts and Beaches had the option of 4 Motion bit on the 150 and 204PS. Go with the latter IMO
- Budget of up to 70,000 EUR strict Coast is well within you budget. Probably a little older and higher mileage Ocean.
- Apple Carplay, some might make fun out of it but it is very convenient and I would say it's a must for me, what is the earliest year it comes stock? I don't want aftermarket radio head unit for that... Not sure.
- Adaptive Cruise Control, I have seen there are few sub-options for this feature, any recommendations on that? any specific years or features I really want or I need to steer away from? ACC is standardised across the models and years (T6.1). Invaluable option for long haul road trips.
- I don't know if it's exist in the Cali but would be nice to have a 360 camera if possible? again - what years or sub-models has it? Maybe aftermarket, not standard on the Cali, which only has rear mounted and approx 140deg viewing angle.

make sure what ever vehicle you buy has the Certificate of Conformity. That might be required to register the Cali in Hungary. Good luck with your search, and post pics when you get it.

Thank you for your answer! something I forgot to mention and maybe this is why I was steering away from the Beach model is because I want a real full kitchen.

So if I am taking a 4Motion model, I want only two-seater in the back, a full kitchen, and two swivel chairs in the front, the only difference between the Ocean and the Coast would be the electric roof vs the manual roof? am I missing something here?

And I guess I forgot another important feature for us, a heater for the cab, maybe it is called an auxiliary heater? Does this one only exist in the Ocean and Coast but not in the Beach model?

Thanks!

Thank you for your answer! something I forgot to mention and maybe this is why I was steering away from the Beach model is because I want a real full kitchen.

So if I am taking a 4Motion model, I want only two-seater in the back, a full kitchen, and two swivel chairs in the front, the only difference between the Ocean and the Coast would be the electric roof vs the manual roof? am I missing something here?
The Coast was a more stripped back model. It was easy to spec up to the Ocean though, minus the hydraulic roof. I chose the Coast because I wanted a manual roof and the analog dash instrumentation. The Edition option got many of the goodies like LED lighting front and rear, Pure Grey paint, shower, 17" wheels and big front brakes, interior lighting (high priced option) and a few cosmetic details. Parking heater was an option which is essential IMO, especially if it's used in the winter.

The Coast was a more stripped back model. It was easy to spec up to the Ocean though, minus the hydraulic roof. I chose the Coast because I wanted a manual roof and the analog dash instrumentation. The Edition option got many of the goodies like LED lighting front and rear, Pure Grey paint, shower, 17" wheels and big front brakes, interior lighting (high priced option) and a few cosmetic details. Parking heater was an option which is essential IMO, especially if it's used in the winter.

So is it fair to say that if I want all the bells and whistles, it will make my search easier if I just narrow down my search towards Ocean vs looking for a specific Coast that has the list of specific upgrades I am interested in?

So is it fair to say that if I want all the bells and whistles, it will make my search easier if I just narrow down my search towards Ocean vs looking for a specific Coast that has the list of specific upgrades I am interested in?
Correct.

Unless you don't mind buying something with 30k+ kms on the clock then I suspect your buying options for less than 70k€ might be limited.

Do you have a maximum mileage (kilometerage sounds weird) for a used vehicle that you would accept?

Unless you don't mind buying something with 30k+ kms on the clock then I suspect your buying options for less than 70k€ might be limited.

Do you have a maximum mileage (kilometerage sounds weird) for a used vehicle that you would accept?
Great question, I assume the VW transporter is a reliable car as I see old versions of them quite a bit all the time (from every VW California generation (or VW transporter)).

I am not sure how to answer that question that since my other car is an older Toyota Truck with almost half a million KMs with the same engine and transmission, my wife's old car was a Lexus SUV with a lot of KMs as well which is also very reliable.

As for VAG, I had Skoda Fabia and Seat Leon about a decade ago and they both were totally fine, I don't remember any reliability issues...

So I don't know what to expect from a 4motion 2.0BiTDI VW California, what is reasonable? what is too much?

Also, if we are on the topic of engines, why do some 4motion models I see have the 199PS and some have the 204PS?

Thanks!

Also, if we are on the topic of engines, why do some 4motion models I see have the 199PS and some have the 204PS?

Thanks!
A couple of iterations were released during the T6 production run. Due to emissions from what i hear. Unlike earlier 180's the later BiTDI in the T6.1 seems solid. At least I'm not hearing much of any major oil consumption, failing internal components etc. People now have over 100K on them, so that should be enough mileage for things to fail and to see some patterns.

Roadsurfer sell off their vans after a year or so, I think they generally tick every option:

Unless hirers are more careful on the continent than over here, I'd be wary of an ex-hire van. The California is a complex vehicle but many of the complexities are inherently quite fragile and require a delicate touch (which comes with experience). People who hire vans, unless naturally careful, will often misjudge and things get broken/damaged. I'd be looking carefully at every cupboard fastening, the state of the hinge on the leg of the fold out table etc.. to make sure everything looks good. In theory they should be priced cheaper accordingly, but over here at least I'm not sure that's always the case so it might be better trying to find one that was owned privately and lovingly cared for.

Original questions; Ocean is probably what you want if you want all the toys. 360 camera isn't need really - the Cali is a box with a high up driving position, a rear window, rear view camera and sensors on all four sides (front and rear sensors "wrap" slightly around the bumpers). It's as easy to drive as anything can be.

We were very happy with our Coast and the manual roof fine. Would have gone for 4 motion but not available in UK but no problem in Germany.

as it happens, some mad person lost the bearings on the road and landed in our garden on top of the coast and we now have an ocean replacement. Four motion would have been nice but it was just out of our reach

as it happens, some mad person lost the bearings on the road and landed in our garden on top of the coast
Thats one way of getting the roof down I suppose.