Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pyrénées road trip planning

iamchucky

iamchucky

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We are starting to plan a two week road trip through the Pyrénées with the kids (9 & 12) but would appreciate any advice on best time to go please? We have two windows open to us; either the first two weeks in April, or the first two weeks in August? Easter is probably our preferred time but concerned about the weather and how cold it might be. We are not skiers but love walking and the adventure activities, climbing, kayaking, cycling etc.
Would appreciate any suggestions please

My guess is that the first 2 weeks in April will mean all the passes and high level roads will be snow bound. We did Romania in early May this year and several roads were still shut.

Our only experience of the Pyrenees was in early autumn and it was spectacular.

So I'd say August but then you run the risk of not being able to get onto a campsite, so you'll need to plan more and maybe have a fixed itinerary which for us isn't the way to enjoy the van - it's always best out of season when you can rock up and not worry about finding a pitch.

having said that there's loads of little places away from the beaten track where you should be able to find somewhere.

If you enjoy climbing, kayaking and cycling have you thought of the Soca valley in Slovenia? Might even be closer than the Pyrenees and you can go through the Dolomites....

It's hard to tell these days because the climate in the Pyrenees is changing, less snow, but in general early April is still ski season. Easter vacation is very popular for skiers, so don't think it's off season. If you like to hike, maybe summer is better, unless you do snow shoes, which can be a lot of fun. All roads around ski areas will be plowed and open unless it's the middle of a snowstorm, but don't count on smaller tracks being open.

I’ve had three walking holidays in the Pyrenees, once as a teenager with my parents and brothers and twice as an adult with friends.

I don’t think you need to book campsites.

Generally the French Pyrenees are significantly wetter than the Spanish side. Restaurants the French side stop taking orders at 8pm, Spanish ones won’t start taking orders until after 9pm.

The main hiking centre in the French Pyrenees is Luchon, in Spain it is Benasque. The Ordessa Canyon is stunning.

I’ve had three walking holidays in the Pyrenees, once as a teenager with my parents and brothers and twice as an adult with friends.

I don’t think you need to book campsites.

Generally the French Pyrenees are significantly wetter than the Spanish side. Restaurants the French side stop taking orders at 8pm, Spanish ones won’t start taking orders until after 9pm.

The main hiking centre in the French Pyrenees is Luchon, in Spain it is Benasque. The Ordessa Canyon is stunning.
What time of year did you go on your walking trips?

What time of year did you go on your walking trips?
All three in peak summer season. No advance campsite booking for the last two visits, and no pre-booking by dad in 1980.

I also cycled from Hendaye to Cerbere, camping most nights, during the peak summer season. No problem with campsites, but no French campsite, even if full, will turn away backpackers or cycle tourists with small tents.

We spent a two nights in Saldes 5/6 and 6/7 November 2017. It was bloody cold with light snow flurries, and Pyrenean Vultures circling overhead. I wouldn't visit the Pyrenees for hiking in April.

This is 1200 metres in early November (Saldes).

IMG_0427.JPG

And this is 2400 metres the next day (Andorra).

IMG_0432.JPG

Ordesa July or August 2005

Pyrenees 054.jpg

Last edited:
All three in peak summer season. No advance campsite booking for the last two visits, and no pre-booking by dad in 1980.

I also cycled from Hendaye to Cerbere, camping most nights, during the peak summer season. No problem with campsites, but no French campsite, even if full, will turn away backpackers or cycle tourists with small tents.

We spent a two nights in Saldes 5/6 and 6/7 November 2017. It was bloody cold with light snow flurries, and Pyrenean Vultures circling overhead. I wouldn't visit the Pyrenees for hiking in April.

This is 1200 metres in early November (Saldes).

View attachment 52678

And this is 2400 metres (Andorra).

View attachment 52679

Ordesa July or August 2005

View attachment 52680
Saldes, Pedraforca! I climbed the north face years ago, rapelled down the face you can see in the photo. Magic place. Central Pyrenees with the valleys of Ordesa, Añiscola, Pineta on the Spanish side and Cirque de Gavernie on the French side is one of the most beautiful places I have ever hiked.

Photos taken 9th march this year roads open and fairly empty, enjoy your trip !!
IMG_0801.jpegIMG_0802.jpegP1110409.jpegIMG_0814.jpegIMG_0785.jpegIMG_0805.jpeg

Thanks for all the comments above, very useful.

August could be extremely hot, we stayed in a casita and started walking before 8am so we could stay out of the midday sun which was scorching. The Ordesa gorge is unbelievable, really awesome. June is the best time to go!

We have been there years ago and always liked the relative quiet, compared to the Alps. We travelled the Spanish side again this year (2019), end of August, early September (see our thread for details). Now the 'usual hotspots' were far too busy to our liking, even at this relative end of season. We quickly fled them.

We have had a place in rhe mountains for about 15 years and can confirm the weather can be all over rhe place. Currently a lot of snow so the skiing is opening early and will probably close week after Easter. You need to very careful walking in the mountains until sometimes June as rhere is a significant avalanche risk. It varies year to year but Cauterets is an excellent walking area with day walks up to refuges if you fancy it. Plenty of campsites and wild camping spots on both sides of the borders but the National Parks can be stroopy about wild camping but usually the ski car parks in summer are fine. Apart from holiday periods I doubt you would need to book sites if you prefer not to.
Hope you enjoy it.