Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pyrenees

B

Bearwood

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
I have just returned from a 10 day trip with my daughters (8yrs & 13yrs) to SW France in our T6 Ocean. It was our first long stretch living in the Cali and and the experience exceeded all our expectations. I had booked into campsites beforehand due to the high season and I wanted to be close to the beach - 4 nights at Parc de la Cote Sauvage, La Palmyre and 4 nights at Camping Club Marina - Landes, Mimizan; taking the Portsmouth - Caen ferry.

I am now researching my next trip in October. I am thinking of taking the D918 / D618 across the Pyrenees (French side) to Collioure and then head back home through France via Limoges. Has anyone done this route across the Pyrenees and how long would it take if you were driving approximately 2 hours per day. Has anyone got experience of what weather I would expect in this area at this time of year.

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Welcome on your first post , i never been to the pyrenees in my Cali but think maybe @briwy can give some tips on travelling in the Pyrenees.

I have just returned from a 10 day trip with my daughters (8yrs & 13yrs) to SW France in our T6 Ocean. It was our first long stretch living in the Cali and and the experience exceeded all our expectations. I had booked into campsites beforehand due to the high season and I wanted to be close to the beach - 4 nights at Parc de la Cote Sauvage, La Palmyre and 4 nights at Camping Club Marina - Landes, Mimizan; taking the Portsmouth - Caen ferry.

I am now researching my next trip in October. I am thinking of taking the D918 / D618 across the Pyrenees (French side) to Collioure and then head back home through France via Limoges. Has anyone done this route across the Pyrenees and how long would it take if you were driving approximately 2 hours per day. Has anyone got experience of what weather I would expect in this area at this time of year.

Haven't done that route, but here is an idea of the local weather at that time of year.
IMG_0388.jpg

Pre-cali we had a mobile home near Lourdes - very warm, 30+ on some days. Lovely area (though not keen on Lourdes itself) and had a wonderful time enjoying the scenery.

I have done this, you will be fine at that time of the year. Be prepared for oh so cool eves....

Yes no problems doing that. Take the small roads through the mountains rather than main roads and you will see some stunning scenery. Take your time and enjoy it.
Foix is worth a visit and Villefranche de Confluent is a charming medieval walled village.

I did a fair bit of that this summer. It was amazing, the best trip I have done so far.
The road is slow....take your time....on 1 July I had snow...IMG_2018.JPGThen two days later 37 degrees. That is mountain weather for youIMG_1732.JPG
I mostly parked up at the top of mountain passes, nobody seemed to mind, and there were other motorhomes on some. ( no overnight motorhomes sign on te top of col de Aspin though.
Nice municipal site in Arrhes, dead cheap, and lovely and clean, with a swimming pool.
Driving back through limogé, you pass some beautiful country, but it is a long long way if you are in chilled mode and not using autoroutes.
I prefer to pass just west of Clermont Ferrand, as I love the cantal, and the area around Puy Mary.
Lucky you, enjoy.

The Breche de Roland. Did you get up to the top. Been up a few times but never made it to the gap due to weather. Holed up in the refuge for an afternoon once high on hot chocolate waiting for a blizzard to stop in June.

The Breche de Roland. Did you get up to the top. Been up a few times but never made it to the gap due to weather. Holed up in the refuge for an afternoon once high on hot chocolate waiting for a blizzard to stop in June.
It is, well spotted.
First time up I stopped at the refuge due to snow and poor visibility ...1/7/17
I went up the next day, and got beyond the brèche on the way to the pic du gallon, but couldn't find the route
Luckily the alpine club of Bordeaux came byand I asked if I could tag along..they had ice axes crampons etc ....I was in my summer boots
We made the topIMG_1987.JPGIMG_2003.JPG the next day it was really sunny, and I went alone back up to the top....heavenly

It is, well spotted.
First time up I stopped at the refuge due to snow and poor visibility ...1/7/17
I went up the next day, and got beyond the brèche on the way to the pic du gallon, but couldn't find the route
Luckily the alpine club of Bordeaux came byand I asked if I could tag along..they had ice axes crampons etc ....I was in my summer boots
We made the topView attachment 24322View attachment 24323 the next day it was really sunny, and I went alone back up to the top....heavenly
Pic du tallon

Brilliant. Jealous
I'm down there again next month so might have another go.
Last time we were there three years ago. This is early June, not a time to go walking as the avalanche risk is very high.

The road up to the car park at the top, cousin wouldn't belive me how much snow there was so took him up to see it. Had to park about a mile down the road and walk up to the car park.
0T7A7399small.jpg

Looking towards the Breche, brave souls been skiing down
0T7A7418small.jpg
Turned round to see this, absolutely amazing.
0T7A7446small.jpg
As you say the weather changes rapidly, this was about 2pm, hour later it was snowing again. Quite often it will get a bit grotty late afternoon then clear up for beautiful evenings.
My avatar is outside our house in Cauterets. Snowed in for a couple of days.:)

Brings back great memories. Was there in early September 5 years ago and went on to Monte Perdido. Memories of a fast descent on the scree and a great weeks walking. Guy I was with had been there in that region earlier the previous year in the summer and spent the night trapped half way up a nearby climb in a snow hole for the night with his two daughters. September is a great time to go.

Not sure my knees are up for it now but still great memories

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brilliant. Jealous
Last time we were there three years ago. This is early June, not a time to go walking as the avalanche risk is very high.

The road up to the car park at the top, cousin wouldn't belive me how much snow there was so took him up to see it. Had to park about a mile down the road and walk up to the car park.
View attachment 24324

View attachment 24325
View attachment 24326
As you say the weather changes rapidly, this was about 2pm, hour later it was snowing again. Quite often it will get a bit grotty late afternoon then clear up for beautiful evenings.
I recognise the climb up the river...I wish I had taken crampons, and an ice axe

IMG_1743.JPG

Another great hike....if you are at the car park at the top of the col du tormalet, go back to the top, and head on a track north . It goes to the top of the pic du midi du bigore....easy walking, and even if you go only half way, pretty stunning....wild alpacas roaming,,,,harmlessly
And a donkey IMG_1819.JPG
Brilliant. Jealous

View attachment 24324

View attachment 24325
View attachment 24326
You have a house in cauterets...that is really lucky. I would love to spend some time down there and watch the seasons change

Yes very fortunate, fabulous place.
Those alpaca have a suicide wish, Col du Tourmalet one night about half eleven on my way back from Spain.

P1030666small.jpg

I guess the tarmac holds the heat but it's surprising they don't get hit.

Thanks so much for the replies and stunning photos. October can't come soon enough!!