Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Santander ---> Cherbourg via Pyrenees

kp64zl

kp64zl

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Would really appreciate some advice on potential destinations / stopovers for our summer holiday this year (first in van), with our two children aged 8 and 10 - we will mostly stay in holiday rentals (1 Pyrenees-area, 2 Brittany) but have a few nights in van between

The map below is an approximation of the route -- arriving Santander on the ferry mid august and we have two weeks holiday before return to UK from Cherbourg.

1) We think we'd like to spend the first night camping somewhere on the north coast of spain to the west of Santander. Ideally we'd like a quiet, small site -- any recommendations please?

2) Then we thought we would spend about 5 nights in the western spanish pyrenees -- we like hiking in high mountain areas - ideally "away from it all" -- I'm unfamiliar with this part of the pyrenees so any tips would be appreciated. We are planning to stay in a holiday rental, not the van for this bit.

3) Then we thought we'd stay in Southern Brittany -- but would have a couple of nights in the van on the way up -- any recommendations along this west coast please? ideally again somewhere less busy with good nature away from crowds.

thanks ever so much!

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 12.05.44.png

Last edited:
Try to get in Carnac on your way north, think I am in the right place inland from the coast somewhere also Dunes du Pilait, cant recommend any camping spots as have generally done Aires or wild camped. Id have to get my old maps and things out to look up anything else, done a route similar to what your proposing may times and its all gotten a bit of a blur.

Camping Gavin, in Biescas is a reasonable Site in the Pyrenees. Was their last week. lots of walking locations around there. On pilgrims trail (no pilgrims here though). brilliant Facilities.

Camping Gavin, in Biescas is a reasonable Site in the Pyrenees. Was their last week. lots of walking locations around there. On pilgrims trail (no pilgrims here though). brilliant Facilities.
Sounds like the site I should be visiting !

Back