Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rain noise!

R

RubyCoast2021

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Had our first sleep in the van with heavy rain and surprised how noisy it was. More like a metallic pinging sound than the more desirable drumming, kept me awake all night! The sound seemed to be emanating from the rear. I’ve got a Thule rack on the tailgate and kind of hoping it was this rather than the van itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had our first sleep in the van with heavy rain and surprised how noisy it was. More like a metallic pinging sound than the more desirable drumming, kept me awake all night! The sound seemed to be emanating from the rear. I’ve got a Thule rack on the tailgate and kind of hoping it was this rather than the van itself.

Don't park under trees as they will continue to drip after it rains. We towed our caravan into a nice looking pitch till I walked to the loo and spotted we were under a tree. It dripped all night. Caravan roof also noisy in rain.

Did you have the roof up? If so rain coming off the roof may be hitting your bike rack.

We have a top floor apartment that has a flat roof above. We defiantly know when it is raining. If it is heavy the rain runs down the drains which pass though the building and it gurgles.

Yes the roof was up so maybe channelling more water onto the back/rack.

Dunno, but I love sleeping in the van when it rains.. :)
Likewise. I love it.
I think there’s something in the genes. There’s a storm but I’m warm and dry. I’m sure it’s what a caveman felt when he found a great cave!?

Edit: although my feelings may change if I fail to stop my van leaking.

Last edited:
I think the bike rack makes a difference when sleeping downstairs in the rain. Of course it's hard to know as the last thing you are inclined to do is to go out and investigate. But I certainly agree that there is a harsher more metallic pinging noise to be heard.

The van is metal so anything hitting it will make a noise. Cali has no insulation between between its inner / outer shell so you will hear everything. Bit like putting your ear against a empty coke / beer can.

That said, I have never had any issues sleeping. Beer, wine & gin helps!

with the risk of becoming unpopular..... It is called "camping" !
One sleeps almost in the elements, and there are noises associated with it. They are not noises, but nature sounds and usually campers like them.
This is one example of why there will be many camper vehicles on sale in a couple of years.
:Iamsorry

One sleeps almost in the elements, and there are noises associated with it. They are not noises, but nature sounds and usually campers like them.
Well it isn't really camping is it? It's sleeping in a metal box in a field. Camping properly involves a tent, or just a bivvy bag under a hedge.

Mind you, in the Cali with the roof down does reduce the bloody owl racket.

Dons flak jacket.
:upsidedown

This is one example of why there will be many camper vehicles on sale in a couple of years.
:Iamsorry

I have camped all my life in all weathers. The question was just about the bike rack really, I should have made it clearer.

I have camped all my life in all weathers. The question was just about the bike rack really, I should have made it clearer.

Sorry, certainly didn't mean to have a go at you, I also did a lot of tent caping before the Cali. The Cali is super luxurious in comparison. I do also have a bike rack, usually folded open as i use it as a wash line to dry towels. Not sure if it makes more noises in rain closed or opened, should try. But you mentioned it kept you awake all night, hence made me thinking you were not used sleeping with the inevitable noises (sounds?) that one experience camping. Apologies.

Going back to the bike rack....yes I suspect that is resonating. I had a similar issue on my old self-build Land Rover Defender 110 camper. Almost no sound insulation on that but the noise was fine until I mounted a bar rack...in strong rain it pinged continuously; in heavy winds there was a noticeable thrumming. I never found a solution, just lived with it.

How about chucking a couple of bungee straps around the rack? That might damp out any resonance.

Back