Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rain running between van and awning rail - any solutions?

• Thread starter Carryon Cali Camping
  • Start date
Carryon Cali Camping

Carryon Cali Camping

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Does anybody have a solution for this? I was thinking if foam pipe insulation could be wedged between the awning rail and van to act like a gutter? that way if it’s raining I can still have the awning wound out to enable cooking etc under cover without rain dripping in to the van entrance. Anybody tried this or other solutions?

There should be a rubber seal fitted between the wind out awning and the van ?

Have a look at this thread it shows the seal

Club shop sells spares

Have a look at this thread it shows the seal

Club shop sells spares

Is there something similar for the GC?

Does the awning have a rebate in the rear to allow a rubber seal to be fitted - see photo .
there are various seal profiles available

edit the last photo are a self adhesive strip if there is no channel in the rear of the cassette. I hope that give you a steer in the right direction

F6E9F124-8F1D-471A-971A-0A48A9E2487F.jpeg

F2A09ED9-0F8C-4DC6-B458-F9A47261C45B.jpeg

A106EC7E-6363-40A1-9FC6-427C3E970E4A.jpeg

Last edited:
Does the awning have a rebate in the rear to allow a rubber seal to be fitted - see photo .
there are various seal profiles available

edit the last photo are a self adhesive strip if there is no channel in the rear of the cassette. I hope that give you a steer in the right direction

View attachment 109940

View attachment 109941

View attachment 109942
Thanks for the info. I collect the GC up at the weekend and I’ll take a look. I assumed it did not have anything, but could be wrong.

Last edited:
I tried the Thule 3m sealing strip for the awing on my GC600 and it didn’t fit. It leaves a gap at the ends due to the roof curvature and I wasn’t confident of it staying on when the wind when driving gets under it if I cut it short. It didn't feel very secure.

IMG_1016.jpeg

IMG_1011.jpeg

IMG_1014.jpeg

That’s what I was fearing! Thanks for sharing. Was that the 8cm strip (they do 5 or 8cm)
The wider seal fits fine. As said, at each end it no longer touches the van. I cut mine back in a curve until it made contact to stop
It flapping around. Works well, keeps the drips out and it’s secure. Had my van just over a year and fitted it in the first few weeks. It hasn’t moved.

That’s what I was fearing! Thanks for sharing. Was that the 8cm strip (they do 5 or 8cm)
They do 5cm, 6.5cm and 8cm and I believe it was the 8cm I tried.

In any event I wasn’t confident it would stay in place if I cut it down even if there was no gap.

I’d be interested if anyone has found a better solution.

I’ve fitted the 8 and it works just fine. As @GordonH mentions the ends can be trimmed to help but it does work well.
Do you buy it by the metre or does it already come in a long length? Thanks

Hi All - thanks for the advice above! I have just fitted the sealing rubber to the awning and just wanted to check with those more knowledgeable than me, if this looks ok? Seems quite secure where it has been threaded in, but wanted to check if the end touching the roof needs to be stuck down with anything or is it just left like this. Does it now flap around when driving etc?
IMG_2141.jpegIMG_2143.jpeg

Hi All - thanks for the advice above! I have just fitted the sealing rubber to the awning and just wanted to check with those more knowledgeable than me, if this looks ok? Seems quite secure where it has been threaded in, but wanted to check if the end touching the roof needs to be stuck down with anything or is it just left like this. Does it now flap around when driving etc?
View attachment 110401View attachment 110402
Looks fine. You could trim the ends in at an angle if you like, not a big issue though. Depends if there is a gap between the seal and the roof at either end of the awning.
No need for any further sticking down.

Looks fine. You could trim the ends in at an angle if you like, not a big issue though. Depends if there is a gap between the seal and the roof at either end of the awning.
No need for any further sticking down.
Thanks, yes I have trimmed them in a curve at each end, just cannot see on the photo. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Back