Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rain Water under drivers door to sill causing vacuum seal when opening T6.1

Campervanpup21

Campervanpup21

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Just noticed a problem and can’t see a relevant thread. Any recommendations received gratefully!
On opening the drivers door after rain, it feels a bit like opening a vacuum seal and there is water that drops from under the drivers door and also sitting on the lower of the door sill that has the black scratch preventer strip on. Photos attached. Any ideas please? Thanks
IMG_3391.jpegIMG_3392.jpeg

Looks like the drain holes are doing what they should, but there should not be that much water. Have you jet washed the window tops? Is the window very slightly open? Are the door seals ok? Are the window seals ok, especially at the bottom of the window?

Have a look at post5…….

and

Looks like the drain holes are doing what they should, but there should not be that much water. Have you jet washed the window tops? Is the window very slightly open? Are the door seals ok? Are the window seals ok, especially at the bottom of the window?
Thanks for the reply. No jet wash, windows closed & door seals seam ok. I will check window seals.

I have had this problem all be it on an older T5.1. In short the door design expects water to pass through window seals and into the door. The door has an internal partition ( metal or plastic depending on age model) that divides the door into a dry inner side and wet outer side, the drain holes at the bottom allow the water to escape from the wet side of the door. To get water where your seeing it is caused when this internal partition fails in one or more places e.g. sealing around door speaker, dislodged rubber grommets for wiring looms to locks etc. or the partitioning plate seal fails. The water then exits the dry side at the bottom of the door card which is inside the door seal.

To diagnose the exact problem requires the internal door card to be removed then put a hose on the window to spot the leak point. I was lucky mine was leaking from the bottom of the partition plate which I was able to loosen and apply a silicone mastic before re tightening. Problem solved no more rain ingress.
Follow the links that @ArunAlec posted for detailed instructions.

I have had this problem all be it on an older T5.1. In short the door design expects water to pass through window seals and into the door. The door has an internal partition ( metal or plastic depending on age model) that divides the door into a dry inner side and wet outer side, the drain holes at the bottom allow the water to escape from the wet side of the door. To get water where your seeing it is caused when this internal partition fails in one or more places e.g. sealing around door speaker, dislodged rubber grommets for wiring looms to locks etc. or the partitioning plate seal fails. The water then exits the dry side at the bottom of the door card which is inside the door seal.

To diagnose the exact problem requires the internal door card to be removed then put a hose on the window to spot the leak point. I was lucky mine was leaking from the bottom of the partition plate which I was able to loosen and apply a silicone mastic before re tightening. Problem solved no more rain ingress.
Follow the links that @ArunAlec posted for detailed instructions.
Thank you very much for this detailed reply. I will look into it!

Back