Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rattle and hum(bug)

vananarama

vananarama

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Although owning our Beach since new in 2020, it has all of a sudden developed a rattle. Now it seems secure in terms
of how it’s attached to the van, and it seems to be the leg struts inside the end unit. Someone on here previously posted about a possibly discontinued product to overcome this issue. I would like to hear if anyone has found a DIY solution. My efforts are so far proving unsuccessful. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming you mean the wind out awning - We 'hHad previously used foam around the legs, but this blew away last week and so have ordered these from the shop. Fingers crossed they work, if not will revert to the foam wrapped around the legs when winding in the awning.

Assuming you mean the wind out awning - We 'hHad previously used foam around the legs, but this blew away last week and so have ordered these from the shop. Fingers crossed they work, if not will revert to the foam wrapped around the legs when winding in the awning.

You assume correctly! Thank you so much. The review sounds very positive. I have just done battle with the shop site and ordered a pack. Thanks again. I knew I could count on this forum.

1) Try nipping up the nylock nuts very slightly 2 on each frame arm attaching the main support wind out frame to castings attached to the casing (use makes the nylon bushes loose )

2) the anti rattle things do work.

3) apply some short lengths of high density foam to the Lower casing to further cushion the legs and provide further support to the structure when it’s in its travelling position.
no rattle at all now.

While your at it try fitting some Velcro (the smooth fluffy side) to the tailgate seat storage where the seat arm rests touch the polystyrene &the divider.
Mine were squeaking loudly, attaching Velcro stop it immediately and helps hold the seats more securely In the holder.

Last edited:
You assume correctly! Thank you so much. The review sounds very positive. I have just done battle with the shop site and ordered a pack. Thanks again. I knew I could count on this forum.

We had the same rattle when we had our awning changed, it didn’t happen on the original. I found it was the awning legs that were actually touching the casing Causing it to rattle mainly on bumpy roads. These are quite loose anyway so to stop it I put a few Felt dots in various places on the legs. Result….no more rattles.

Those strange looking parts arrived yesterday from the club shop, and although I can’t really figure out what exactly it is they do, as if by magic, they have done the trick, just as you said they would. On Saturday we leave for an extended road trip up Ireland’s Wild Atlantic Way. It’s just possible that you have saved my sanity, or what is left of it. Thanks again.

We had the same rattle when we had our awning changed, it didn’t happen on the original. I found it was the awning legs that were actually touching the casing Causing it to rattle mainly on bumpy roads. These are quite loose anyway so to stop it I put a few Felt dots in various places on the legs. Result….no more rattles.

Thanks. It didn’t used to happen but now does (same awning, original, that said I did remove it for a few months, but the rattle arrived only recently). Your diagnosis is correct but even though I did try a few pads and even some thin padding strips I couldn’t solve the issue. It is now sorted thanks to the Thule product mentioned in this thread though. Cheers

While your at it try fitting some Velcro (the smooth fluffy side) to the tailgate seat storage where the seat arm rests touch the polystyrene &the divider.
Mine were squeaking loadly, attaching Velcro stop it immediately and helps hold the seats more securely In the holde.

Thanks. I assumed the squeaking was either the panels or the way I’ve badly repacked the jack etc in that rear compartment. I’ll investigate. Much appreciated.

Those strange looking parts arrived yesterday from the club shop, and although I can’t really figure out what exactly it is they do, as if by magic, they have done the trick, just as you said they would. On Saturday we leave for an extended road trip up Ireland’s Wild Atlantic Way. It’s just possible that you have saved my sanity, or what is left of it. Thanks again.

Does anyone know if these will work on a T5.1? I’ve tried to stop a rattle with foam blocks but with no success.

Our windout awning is a Fiamma which rattled. The cause was the legs inside the casing. I cured it by cutting up an old bike inner tube and glueing it to the inside of the casing. . The legs fold up inside the metal casing that forms the outside edge of the awning which was where I glued the inner tube. It was easy to fix and once in place requires no wrapping of the legs etc. We no longer have an annoying rattle

Does anyone know if these will work on a T5.1? I’ve tried to stop a rattle with foam blocks but with no success.
Yes, they work on ALL Thule/Omnistor roll out awnings as fitted from T4 onwards.

Back