Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Reading lights

F

Fourier

VIP Member
Brilliant as our Cali is, one of the the minor niggles for us is the poor light for reading in the lower bed, if you're lying with your head at the tailgate end - the person nearest the wardrobe doesn't really get any benefit from the single light on the right hand side. Anyone fixed this? We are thinking of an LED light tucked in behind the rear ceiling mounted storage unit, prob battery powered - any better ideas? I suggested a Kindle but books are better apparently.

We used 2 similar lights to flex light but short stalks and wired into existing rear light and used led lamps. We now have a reading light each.

John

We find the same problem.... Or I do as Mrs Davidofhook is the one who sleeps under the existing light!
I fitted a cheap LED battery powered light but I would not recommend as it failed on almost all counts. The amount of light was not really good enough, then it came unstuck and fell off and finally when I took it apart to replace the batteries the click action to lock it back together failed!
So john towers solution sounds much better although I am not sure that my skills are up to the electric work involved.
It is one of them few small design failings in the Cali

David

Our solution

P1170763small_zps20c94784.jpg

£4 strip of stick on LEDs from ebay, cut to length and wired into the rear light switch.
Brilliant for finding stuff in the boot as well.

I like the idea of the bendy lights but I presume you have some drilling etc... to do? Don't fancy making new holes in my nearly new Cali! Do the LED lights also require drilling? Technical tips/summary would be appreciated!

Fourier said:
I like the idea of the bendy lights but I presume you have some drilling etc... to do? Don't fancy making new holes in my nearly new Cali! Do the LED lights also require drilling? Technical tips/summary would be appreciated!

Yes i did use a drill but if i sell it i will leave them in. Not much chance of selling it as we both love it, and i have the nice 5 pot audi engine and chain driven so no cam belt change.

John

I had the same problem and bought one of these;

http://tinyurl.com/nuypr8w

Well made, swivels and easy to fit.
Always frustrated me that the light in the luggage area was useless and this can be used to light the whole area when the tailgate is up.

The original manufacturer's details was on the packaging, so might be worth getting into the shop?

Alan

That looks very good too - although €20 for delivery is a bit pricy - again I assume it's a drilling job to wire it in? Where do you pick up the 12V supply from?

The trim above the tailgate is flexible and once you pull off the rubber seal, easy to get behind. The cable can be run along here and tapped into the LED reading light to the right of the roof storage box.

Two self tapping screws (supplied) and a small hole.

[album]1529[/album]

[album]1530[/album]
Alan

Check out eBay for LED strip lights in the Caravan. / Motorhome section. Many types at varying costs.

Back