Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear aircon panel upside down in new 6.1 Ocean

nickb77

nickb77

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Picked up my new ocean last week and just noticed that the rear aircon control panel is upside down. Before I contact the dealer can someone confirm this isn’t “correct” for some bonkers reason I’m missing?

btw - the PDI report I requested from the dealer shows the items for checking aircon operation and all swiches/controls ticked as 'OK'

888affd8d4e82f393f22e1931f93af94.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Picked up my new ocean last week and just noticed that the rear aircon control panel is upside down. Before I contact the dealer can someone confirm this isn’t “correct” for some bonkers reason I’m missing?

If you're not in Australia, then that is definitely not correct.

I guess the dealer is the safest option ... or if you are the handy kinds - a plastic trim tool and YouTube should help.

Interesting either way ... :thumb

No, this is clearly wrong. Shoddy quality control!

I think you already know the answer. This is mine, 3 week old van, protective film still in place. Someone’s had a really bad day at the office.

E65AE0B2-AF90-4D51-BC82-3B88232CB9CF.jpeg

Classic!
I would have thought the moulding and location tabs would be such that this couldn’t occur. When fixed make sure its not been forced into place and damaged any of the fixings.

Classic!
I would have thought the moulding and location tabs would be such that this couldn’t occur. When fixed make sure its not been forced into place and damaged any of the fixings.
Yes, I would have thought the fitting would have been designed in such a way as to make it only fit the right way up.

Wow! I wonder how many checks the Cali goes through before reaching the customer, and they have missed that.

Easily done. When I was an apprentice I fitted the horizontal stabilisers on a helicopter (small wings on the tail cone) upside down on the wrong sides. They even had a red light for port and green for starboard. It was discovered before it was released though fortunately.

Easily done. When I was an apprentice I fitted the horizontal stabilisers on a helicopter (small wings on the tail cone) upside down on the wrong sides. They even had a red light for port and green for starboard. It was discovered before it was released though fortunately.
Just lucky VW don’t build helicopters

Looks like the outer, grey, panel is in need of refit/rotating.
I wouldn't touch it - Dealer job.

This really is quite incredible. Normal manufacturing processes and parts design should be of a standard where this is IMPOSSIBLE to happen.

For anyone who hasn't looked at Munro Live on YouTube, Sandy Munro is great to watch and listen to about all things automotive production. They've just finished a teardown on a new Ford Mach-e.

Yes, I would have thought the fitting would have been designed in such a way as to make it only fit the right way up.
Unless you use a mallet (there’s a video doing the rounds of the Trabant factory “adjustment“ techniques).

1626710665978.png

btw - the PDI report I requested from the dealer shows the items for checking aircon operation and all swiches/controls ticked as 'OK'

OMG the more I read about issues people are having with 6.1s the more I think I wouldn’t go near a brand new one with a barge pole :oops: When you consider the cost of these vehicles it’s truly shocking, to be fair it’s unacceptable at any price point but wow, this just takes the biscuit.

OMG the more I read about issues people are having with 6.1s the more I think I wouldn’t go near a brand new one with a barge pole :oops: When you consider the cost of these vehicles it’s truly shocking, to be fair it’s unacceptable at any price point but wow, this just takes the biscuit.

That’s not the only build/quality issue I’ve found (so far)

- steering wheel off-centre
- 12v socket on top of dash not fitted. I just have a blanking plug in a hole.
- first time I tried to use the 3 pin inverter socket the whole thing disappeared inside the cavity as it hadn’t been clipped in properly. I managed to get my hand inside and fix it myself
- trim panel on the passenger side b pillar not clipped on properly

Not a happy bunny considering what it cost.

Bought a BMW 3 series 6 years ago which has been absolutely faultless.

Used to be a running joke about ‘Friday afternoon’ cars. Wonder if we now have Covid cars - corners cut to get them out of the factory.

The sad thing is you then have to deal with the people at the VW commercial vehicle centres who 99% of the time deal with van drivers who don’t give a monkeys about a bit of loose trim and they don’t seem to comprehend a California is not a van it’s a £70K prestige vehicle and in my experience you get the same service, just not good enough. Fortunately we now use a really good local garage so don’t have to deal with them anymore…..
I wish you luck getting all your issues sorted and hope it doesn’t take the shine off the California experience, it’s a great thing to own :thumb

I've removed this panel on T6 to install wiring. Simply rotates around wiring loom.

But as others have said, get it back to dealer at a convenient time.

You are all knowing is British peoples say Germans having no sense of humour....

German peoples in Vw factory show you something here

Back