Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear light in cargo bay near battery not working

Holly Bus

Holly Bus

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
To all Cali detectives. I think I may have blown the fuse for the light that comes on when you open the cargo door. Any idea which fuse it is and where it lives?

It's on a timer so check it after cycling the ignition and then opening the tailgate. It shares the same fuse as the reading lights. SC5 so unlikely you have blown the fuse unless all the reading lights(by rearview mirror) are not working

edit: shares with rear reading lights on a caravell and these are not fitted to the cali as the cali rear lights are on the camper electrics. See reply further down.

Last edited:
If you haven’t owned from new it’s worth checking that the bulb is fitted. Some of us have removed them as a safeguard to prevent battery drain.

The bulb works. I took out and tested it today. It should come.on when you open the tailgate. I think I did something when inwas trying to hook up connectors for the solar panel and in crawling around shorted something and the light went out... reading lights all good up front so I guess that rules out the fuse. In which case I'm stumped! Thanks for your thoughts.

It could be a problem with the tailgate switch, the door switch makes an earth connection to bring on the lamp so check for a live feed on the red/black wire.

@Holly Bus, Had another look at the circuit diagrams and there are some differences in the wiring between transporter models, so check the fuse SC19. If I get 5 minutes later, I'll go and check mine. (edit) Confirmed, SC19 is the fuse you want.

Fuse-Card.png

Last edited:
Loz you are too kind. I shall have a look. are those fuses under the passenger chair or housed elsewhere?

Anyone know what one and where, its the ‘non cali’ light on the RH side by the leisure battery hatch.
Thanks

Ok have found blown fuse and replace thanks to your photo, seems the rim led on kitchen is on same fuse. Cargo light works correctly now but kitchen light will not nowswitch off, it did befor any ideas.