Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear seat stops - increasing living or load space

Marc Oldman

Marc Oldman

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Just removed the stops in the rear seat tracks to increase the length of travel of the rear seats. Makes a huge difference to living or storage space, depending on which you’re looking for. I can’t believe I didn’t do this sooner!

2ABD1D97-809B-4784-B155-0C95AD31D1CA.jpeg

E8637B0B-F036-41AD-B5D9-3F1C25B9A576.jpeg

What about if you are travelling and need to sleep downstairs?
We leave the metal shelf and downstairs mattress in permanently.
Removing them only when needing to transport large items.

Interesting. I removed the front and rear but then put the rears back in. Off course being careful not to overtighten or cross thread the insert (add a disclaimer here). I thought the headrests clashed with the overhead storage unit. I could be wrong and I didn't think to lower mine either so they could be set high.

the rear headrests do go under the storage locker, but you then cant open it.

In that position it looks like some conversions I've seen!

If i was Warwick Davies that would be ace, not having to use
the rear shelf for the bed.
Ive done it in non camping seasons and the wardrobe slider
gets pushed off from its rails by people who don't know how fragile
a Cali is.

I’ve found the extra space very useful esp. In ‘day van ’ mode.
Leave the wire mesh and bedding at home, seat as far back as you like, gives the 5th seat some more space when moving around doing fish and chip trips to the seaside with mugs of tea ....... oh bugger, not likely for a while but I think having the option to move the bench around a bit more just adds versatility.

Last edited:
Removing the front stops is a no brainer. Makes your Cali the part time van it promised to be, no downsides -
though I am well aware of the safety arguments that have been put forward. Can't see those stops having a material effect in a heavy accident however.

The 5th seat supplied with my van came with no stop on either of its tracks. It would be impossible to remove if there was a stop. It stands to reason therefore that the stop has no safety function.

Back