Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear view mirror position, can it be changed

Shaun

Shaun

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Seems a strange question I know, but when I'm using the rear view mirror I can mainly see most of the top cupboard and just about a car length behind the van. This makes it totally useless on the motorway.therefore , I have retro fitted a suction type mirror approx 55mm below the factory one and this gives a much better view of the road behind( at least four or five car lengths ).
So , I wondered if it was just a case of pulling off the factory mirror and using a new sticky pad to re stick it lower down the screen?
Or could it be more complicated than that :?

Would probably fail MOT. At least suction mirror is not a permenantly fixture and could be removed for MOT.

WelshGas said:
Would probably fail MOT. At least suction mirror is not a permenantly fixture and could be removed for MOT.
I would be interested to know what the rules relating to rear view mirrors are in relation to MoTs

Just use wing mirrors

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Never use the inside mirror , also my blind in the back door is closed at all time so if i should look in the mirror....grey...
Everything you need to see can perfect be seen in both side mirrors, i drove a truck
( lorrie called in UK?) and also many different working vans witch had no back windows.
You should try and drive with the back blind closed , learn to use the side mirrors.
Inside mirror is for the missus her make-up.... :mrgreen:

Do you fold down the passenger side rear headrest when driving?

Stu said:
I do, in fact I fold down both headrests, unless I have passengers(!).
I too hardly use the inside mirror and use the door mirrors instead.

Stu said:
Had mine transformed to detachebals...had the pins drilled out by my VW dealer .
Don't need to take passengers and the rear headrests are a big- time bother when you take things out of the back from rear seats and when transforming the rear seat to the bed it is also better that the headrests are not on position ( more space below)

But what about the mirrors.... :mrgreen:

Side mirrors are fine but I find that on the motorway they don't provide enough magnification of vehicles approaching fast from behind.
My friend (an mot tester) tells me that the actual location of the rear view mirror does not matter for the MOT as long as it's not obscuring the drivers view .
I would like to lower mine a couple of inches , so back to my original question :lol:
Is it just a case of pulling it off the glass and using a new sticky pad.
Surely they are re fixed when broken screens are replaced ? :headbang

If they are glued try a thin metal wire or a cutter blade to go gently between glas and mirror
And glue it back on , with a double sode tape or maybye a silicone type glue?

Back