Recommendations for West of France pls

Lambeth Cali

Lambeth Cali

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi
We are sailing to Santander and then after a couple of nights in San Sebastián, we have 7 nights to get to Ile de Ré.
Anybody have any favourite sites around this coast?
8B565EFC-87F6-4B33-8C11-58156E3936EA.jpeg
We would ideally stop at 2 places, working our way up. We aren’t surfers, our two kids love a pool or nice beach. My wife literally cries if we go to a Yelloh! Too loud. We like natural sites and don’t use EHU. Perhaps a bit inland might be better for quiet eco sites?

This place looks great but doesn’t do reservations. May try it though.
Camping Municipal du Cap de l'Homy
+33 5 58 42 83 47

All help much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hope you get some good replies as we are considering trip to France.

We went here for half term a couple of weeks ago, because it had good water slides, good cycling, and was in the middle of a forest.

Camping is among the trees. There is hookup (part of the ACSI booking), but we didn't use it.

Kids (9 and 7) spent most of the afternoons in the pool and on the water slides. We also took bikes, but you can also hire them on site and spent most mornings cycling through the forest in the shade.

There's a reasonable shop on site for the morning croissants and baguettes, and it is a nice 5 mile round trip cycle to the nearest Carrefour supermarket, mostly in the shade. There's also a treetop adventure there open at weekends, which we didn't get around to but looked good.

We didn't even make it to the beach, but it is there.

There's another campsite in La Palmyre, but that looked as though it will be busier.

Hi
We are sailing to Santander and then after a couple of nights in San Sebastián, we have 7 nights to get to Ile de Ré.
Anybody have any favourite sites around this coast?
View attachment 109755
We would ideally stop at 2 places, working our way up. We aren’t surfers, our two kids love a pool or nice beach. My wife literally cries if we go to a Yelloh! Too loud. We like natural sites and don’t use EHU. Perhaps a bit inland might be better for quiet eco sites?

This place looks great but doesn’t do reservations. May try it though.
Camping Municipal du Cap de l'Homy
+33 5 58 42 83 47

All help much appreciated.
Camping Le Cadoret, Fouras.has a pool , about 15-20 minute walk into town ,ideal for trips to Fort Bouyard (Crystal Maze fame on tv),sea food oysters etc.Used by the french has onsite shop and restaurant in high season.

Camping Le Cadoret, Fouras.has a pool , about 15-20 minute walk into town ,ideal for trips to Fort Bouyard (Crystal Maze fame on tv),sea food oysters etc.Used by the french has onsite shop and restaurant in high season.
Yes that’s one I like. Doesn’t seem to take reservations for vans though. Might try it

Yes that’s one I like. Doesn’t seem to take reservations for vans though. Might try it
Look for Municipal sites. Often attached to Leisure centres in villages/ small towns. Often very central normally good but basic facilities. Some have ehu, and often first come basis but rarely anywhere close to full.

What date are you going? The Grand Depart of Le Tour is around Bilbao - Bayonne from 1st July for 3 days.

This one is right on the Beach, walking distance to town; Busy market every day with oysters etc:

This one is also good, Website makes it look commercial, but its actually very chilled out and staff are very friendly. short walk to town & beach.

Avoid Lacanau, its carnage in the summer!

Currently pitched up in Quiberon. Very nice. More giant gambas and crab than you can shake a baguette at. :cool:

Currently pitched up in Quiberon. Very nice. More giant gambas and crab than you can shake a baguette at. :cool:

This time next week i should be the other side of the entrance to Golfe du Morbihan from you. Looking forward to Moules frites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think we might go here for a few nights
Nature, toilet seats, toilet paper, a donkey and some chickens seems to be the checklist.

Avoiding anything Yelloh. Always hate anywhere without toilet paper. I suppose that makes us not proper French campers even after 14 years.