Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

West coast of France recommendations please

Hi Alibee, can I ask your experience of Camping de la Lande please? Trying to plan a west coast trip for summer this year. Cheers

Hi KT,

We stayed for c.10 days at Camping de la Lande, in pitch X08 right the very end. Thoughts as follows;
  • Gavres is a lovely, sleepy town, with a few reasonably-priced places to dine, a weekly market, a good / friendly supermarket. We felt very welcome there, and the kids (8/11) were safe riding/walking around unsupervised.
  • It is very isolated from Lorient, despite the boat-bus network. This is good & bad in equal measure. Great for peace and quiet, but difficult if you need to 'pop into town'!
  • Port Louis is very pleasant and has has notably more shops, restaurants, etc. Only 2 mins boat journey away.
  • The campsite felt very spacious, with various well-segregated areas, but the facilities were obviously at the municipal end of the market.
  • There is a pedestrian path around the end of the peninsula, and walkers can look straight into your pitch if you're in any of the X0 pitches. Didn't bother us massively but I can see others may get irked.
  • X08 was very sheltered, and had some useful trees to the west of it for hanging washing lines, etc, but it is set lower than the others, so you need to stand to see the sea view
  • X05 is possibly the best bet for sea views, but is very exposed / close to the loos
  • X01 may be the best compromise
  • There are lots of interesting german fortifications around Gavres, and many little beaches (as well as the huge long beach back to the mainland).
  • We played a lot of petanque (the site has two pitches, one soft, one hard)! My eldest & I even entered a local competition, and didn't come last, which will remain with me forever.
Overall, would be very happy to stay there again for a few days, but would probably centre ourselves closer to Carnac in the future as we spent a lot of time there sailing (better rentals).

Anything in particular you wanted to know?

sO-yvgwBHO28Gr34343Ep-m_iHT4CT-PukX611mjYlQjg41gwhb0rfKhtBvrEt7tQmvMDXhT0zns2VK6nSuoOxHdgrDFRkHu0NE9j3PMIPi1eZtVgQGxWfPyQ7WWesXGAnoq09X3BlXQA_x49fD-Z4_cnFHwppiRaHzeLiA3crvyWdy4u1JgiZ8pdPzUatUUGltKxj_BRj7WEyWw4aEuXHGIS7jYLOwo_Si0QuD8dkRgWzePdwNcRop0amMO3me97GGVaTQ7wwQLtpe0JsZ4y0l88Fk-_8W8hPb1dbBtal4iL0hHhJN5A6k0xw16KlaE8slZbwdlxB2u-afSw96eMV_7wHzNKtNvGrvmhbJe3-ftkYe4lLdVVdRLUf0gJqaT4syh1hgYxA1QeXdbKGso2gDEm3kSI5Dd59C58_xNCYjyQxgf5BT-pjW7V3Bc4OK3Qj3BVabx6pCIvvLXLDJu5MIGXJbff4UBW_1jzl_s7s-JKOblPEJ5sJXdEftBKO4h1ZUMXu-yB2IHzhqQbOISGtGbCh2nHhhLdU34vSwCoqz0o7S5IVn4Sdh0YEli1B6qKGjnrEhc2Y8JmaqGrD3jb62WmD4u5NxirakvfFj7Cy8m8ovH2-Mp8zrVjrCW7pdjabmXF9raxkPT9n5mZEFNf1yo=w2536-h1307-no

Last edited:
Thanks
Hi KT,

We stayed for c.10 days at Camping de la Lande, in pitch X08 right the very end. Thoughts as follows;
  • Gavres is a lovely, sleepy town, with a few reasonably-priced places to dine, a weekly market, a good / friendly supermarket. We felt very welcome there, and the kids (8/11) were safe riding/walking around unsupervised.
  • It is very isolated from Lorient, despite the boat-bus network. This is good & bad in equal measure. Great for peace and quiet, but difficult if you need to 'pop into town'!
  • Port Louis is very pleasant and has has notably more shops, restaurants, etc. Only 2 mins boat journey away.
  • The campsite felt very spacious, with various well-segregated areas, but the facilities were obviously at the municipal end of the market.
  • There is a pedestrian path around the end of the peninsula, and walkers can look straight into your pitch if you're in any of the X0 pitches. Didn't bother us massively but I can see others may get irked.
  • X08 was very sheltered, and had some useful trees to the west of it for hanging washing lines, etc, but it is set lower than the others, so you need to stand to see the sea view
  • X05 is possibly the best bet for sea views, but is very exposed / close to the loos
  • X01 may be the best compromise
  • There are lots of interesting german fortifications around Gavres, and many little beaches (as well as the huge long beach back to the mainland).
  • We played a lot of petanque (the site has two pitches, one soft, one hard)! My eldest & I even entered a local competition, and didn't come last, which will remain with me forever.
Overall, would be very happy to stay there again for a few days, but would probably centre ourselves closer to Carnac in the future as we spent a lot of time there sailing (better rentals).

Anything in particular you wanted to know?

sO-yvgwBHO28Gr34343Ep-m_iHT4CT-PukX611mjYlQjg41gwhb0rfKhtBvrEt7tQmvMDXhT0zns2VK6nSuoOxHdgrDFRkHu0NE9j3PMIPi1eZtVgQGxWfPyQ7WWesXGAnoq09X3BlXQA_x49fD-Z4_cnFHwppiRaHzeLiA3crvyWdy4u1JgiZ8pdPzUatUUGltKxj_BRj7WEyWw4aEuXHGIS7jYLOwo_Si0QuD8dkRgWzePdwNcRop0amMO3me97GGVaTQ7wwQLtpe0JsZ4y0l88Fk-_8W8hPb1dbBtal4iL0hHhJN5A6k0xw16KlaE8slZbwdlxB2u-afSw96eMV_7wHzNKtNvGrvmhbJe3-ftkYe4lLdVVdRLUf0gJqaT4syh1hgYxA1QeXdbKGso2gDEm3kSI5Dd59C58_xNCYjyQxgf5BT-pjW7V3Bc4OK3Qj3BVabx6pCIvvLXLDJu5MIGXJbff4UBW_1jzl_s7s-JKOblPEJ5sJXdEftBKO4h1ZUMXu-yB2IHzhqQbOISGtGbCh2nHhhLdU34vSwCoqz0o7S5IVn4Sdh0YEli1B6qKGjnrEhc2Y8JmaqGrD3jb62WmD4u5NxirakvfFj7Cy8m8ovH2-Mp8zrVjrCW7pdjabmXF9raxkPT9n5mZEFNf1yo=w2536-h1307-no
Thanks Alibee - that’s brilliant and appreciate the detail. It was just just a general enquiry to make sure it wasn’t a shocker but it sounds like it would suit us well (family of four looking for somewhere relatively quiet with beach and cycling etc.). Am keen to show the children the Carnac stones as they like historical stuff. Thanks!

We are sailing to roscoff, and want to wander down the west coast of France. I know middle France, and the mountains well, but not the west coast.
We are both around 60,and enjoy cycling and hiking and swimming, French food and hospitality, the architecture and the people. I have France Passion, and Park4night for stopovers.
We were going to start heading to Pont Aven, gulf of Morbihan and île de rey. But after that....any suggestions.....we will end up in the Pyrenees, then sail back from Bilbao a month later.
56870 Au Rythme des marées,, oysterfarm on France Passion is a good place to stay and eat seafood.
Max