Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Reliability

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We are looking seriously at getting a California to replace our Bongo but I'm a bit concerned after reading on the forums here about early failures of EGR valves, various sensors etc and the horrendous costs involved in replacing them. Just how much of a problem is this?
We are now on our fourth diesel Skoda, Fabia VRs, two Octavia Estates and now a Yeti and haven't had any problems over 100k+ mileages on some of them so have we just been lucky or are Calis for some reason more prone to these failures? Is it down to possibly irregular use or generally lower speeds in a camper?
Which engine exactly is in the Cali, is it the PD or common rail?
Any other problems, DSG, dual mass flywheels, particulate filters etc. I'm not about to fork a large amount to replace the Bongo if we are in for big bills within a few thousand miles or after a relatively short time period.
Incidentally on the Bongo a lot simply disconnect the EGR without any problems, is this possibly on a Cali.

briwy said:
We are looking seriously at getting a California to replace our Bongo but I'm a bit concerned after reading on the forums here about early failures of EGR valves, various sensors etc and the horrendous costs involved in replacing them. Just how much of a problem is this?
We are now on our fourth diesel Skoda, Fabia VRs, two Octavia Estates and now a Yeti and haven't had any problems over 100k+ mileages on some of them so have we just been lucky or are Calis for some reason more prone to these failures? Is it down to possibly irregular use or generally lower speeds in a camper?
Which engine exactly is in the Cali, is it the PD or common rail?
Any other problems, DSG, dual mass flywheels, particulate filters etc. I'm not about to fork a large amount to replace the Bongo if we are in for big bills within a few thousand miles or after a relatively short time period.
Incidentally on the Bongo a lot simply disconnect the EGR without any problems, is this possibly on a Cali.

People only write about things that go wrong - it's disproportionate.

i think people sometimes just like to have a good moan. Sure things go wrong but I don't think the Cali can be labelled an unreliable vehicle. I guess you could argue that it can be complicated and fragile but that is probably inevitable considering the complexity of it.

Forums are always the place where people moan. You get more posts about EGR - plus lots of opinion which is often just that, opinion.

I've had no problems with mine and I am a clumsy oaf at the best of times.

James

Our 180 DSG is two and a half years old. 13k miles (high days and holidays only) we've slept in it, we think, a little under 200 times. Touch wood, it has been pretty much faultless. You do have to be a little careful putting the roof up and down etc but I think that is true of any and all campers (and most other stuff in life!)

Thanks for the info guys.
I know forums are where problems get highlighted but it does surprise me that such relatively simple things as EGR and sensors fail so early on.
As I said, none of our Skodas with VW group parts have had problems so I guess it's pretty rare for failures.
Hopefully we'll get a another good 'un.

briwy said:
Thanks for the info guys.
I know forums are where problems get highlighted but it does surprise me that such relatively simple things as EGR and sensors fail so early on.
As I said, none of our Skodas with VW group parts have had problems so I guess it's pretty rare for failures.
Hopefully we'll get a another good 'un.

this is the way I see it - in the 1970's and up until that point, cars were by and large rubbish, they broke down or didn't start but everything (what there was) inside worked.

then the world moved on and they discovered how to make cars start, not catch fire and breakdown, sadly because the world had changed, cars were now packed with gizmos which the public themselves had demanded.

So cars now start and go from a to b for a considerable number of miles, however the toys they are packed with and the technology that lives under the bonnet goes wrong.

The promised land is when the two are combined :)

James

If you're worried about the EGR I believe it's a quick job to replace the EGR on the 140hp engine but a full day job on the 180hp due to the location and how much stuff has to come off to get to it.

Exactly James, I believe the average vehicle now has more computing power than the Appollo moon shots.
I'm all for the KISS principle, keep it simple stupid, but for mainly environmental reasons vehicles are now fitted with EGRs, DPFs etc and the other gizmos that as you say people didn't know they wanted. I have been told by a couple of people in the trade that the average design life of a vehicle is seven years, after that expect electrical problems. I tend to undo as many connections as I can get at periodically and give them a dose of WD40 or similar. Seems to have worked so far.

briwy said:
Exactly James, I believe the average vehicle now has more computing power than the Appollo moon shots.
I'm all for the KISS principle, keep it simple stupid, but for mainly environmental reasons vehicles are now fitted with EGRs, DPFs etc and the other gizmos that as you say people didn't know they wanted. I have been told by a couple of people in the trade that the average design life of a vehicle is seven years, after that expect electrical problems. I tend to undo as many connections as I can get at periodically and give them a dose of WD40 or similar. Seems to have worked so far.

KISS principles deliver 70 bhp with 2.4 L diesel plus more smoke than the red arrows could dream of

Agreed the electrickry is a concern for long term reliability. Vehicles no longer seem to rust away, just get written off because of high repair bills

VW electrics are their biggest problem in recent years but reliability generally has gone downhill from it's peak in the 90s, even as repair costs have gone up. Too many gadgets. My 2007 has been sorted now after getting all the bugs out under warranty but it worries with things like an electric roof. My old 2001 T4 Cali's spring loaded roof always worked and the car still ran like new after 260,000kms.

Manual roof would be good option.

Perhaps worth noting VW do make a T5 that is suitable for camping and has a manual roof :)

James

Back