Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Removing camping chair unit to repair a bump

Tracey Johns

Tracey Johns

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi all

Someone has put a dent in the tailgate of my baby.

My question is, if we remove the camping chair unit from the back, which I believe isn’t easy, can anyone tell me if that will give access to the outer skin to be able to push the dent out from the inside?

Thank you

My only experience is that my dealer had several attempts to sort out the boot for card which kept popping off at the join between the upper and lower section. They commented what a nightmare it was, with multiple fixing points, different fittings, including address and captive nuts...

BE CAREFUL of that oemepc link posted by @WelshGas as the site unfortunately has a well reported virus - thankfully my PC detects it and blocks the site:

Info on how to remove the chair panel here:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/tailgate-trim-removal-to-fit-rear-camera.5345/#post-46282
If you have an iPad or iPhone or even an iMac/Apple Laptop it is of no consequence. If you have upto date virus software then it will do no harm either. It only affects the Microsoft Operating System that does not have a functioning Virus Scanner that is kept updated.

Hi all

Someone has put a dent in the tailgate of my baby.

My question is, if we remove the camping chair unit from the back, which I believe isn’t easy, can anyone tell me if that will give access to the outer skin to be able to push the dent out from the inside?

Thank you
If you are intending to do this job yourself then there may be no need to remove anything. Depending on the nature and size of the dent you could try an auto dent puller glue kit. Just go on Ebay and you can get a kit for as little as £15. The adverts often include an instruction video. If not try on YouTube.
If you do try this method take it gently however since the alternative is a body shop you have very little to lose.

Have you tried Dentmaster?. They were excellent when repairing a shopping trolley dent we got in Inverness although we had to travel a fair distance to their man.

Removing the inside of a cali tailgate is the worst thing I ever did. There are a lot of inaccessible plastic clips involved. I did not document it but if there is any way to prevent disassembling: go for it.

I dismantled my 2015 tailgate trim to install a reversing camera. To be honest it isn’t that bad if you have good hand skills and patience. The nightmare to behold is the silver hardboard inner trim that is fitted into the metal. You will see this with the chairs removed. This is held in with ‘riv-nuts’ and most of mine detached when removing so had to be drilled out and new ones fitted. Apart from that it was fine.

Don’t touch the dent yourself: there is a risk that you’ll stretch the whole panel. Find a reputable paintless dent removal (PDR) firm and they should be able to do it for less than £300. Don’t use a national franchised firm or some bloke that will do it on your drive. You could ask your local VW who they use. Then look at the before and after photos on their website: for instance Dent-Tox in Swansea are amazing

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp2tQnFlsZA/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=19b42i1yg7ror

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqVpUk8FwCO/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=aw9muvmicu5v

Back