Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Removing camping chair storage unit

O

Onespeed11

Hi I want to fit a rear reversing camera to my Cali.
Anyone removed the camping chair holder etc?
Or better still have a diagram/exploded view.
I've removed all the obvious plastic press fit fasteners, pull down handle etc.
Feels like there is more to come off and don't want to just pull hard and break stuff...

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon,

Yes I removed the chair holder and tailgate door panel last year, even put some post on the old Facebook Forum but I believe that the FB Forum has now been lost.

I had a real problem removing the Philips screws as they are screwed into Rivnuts in the tailgate that became loose when the screws were turned. The Rivnuts were too small for the hole they were riveted into and this combined with the lock tight on their threads meant that there were 4 screws I could not remove. :headwall

In the end I did manage to remove the screws by getting some plumbers grips onto the hidden side of the Rivnuts but it was not easy and took a lot of time. I also ended up drilling out the bad Rivnuts and fitted a larger size in a slightly larger hole. So be careful when removing these screws.

John

took my one out this year .its a pig to get out as above says .my problem was i pushed the rear tail light bulb in to much when i fitted L.E.D. bulbs :headwall have fun

Thanks -figured it out in the end. Absolutely awful job.
Still hopefully worth it!

Trying to do this job, also to fit a reversing camera, luckily all the rivnuts have unscrewed fine but how do the plastic studs come out? Any help welcomed,

hi, removing the plastic studs is a pain. If they don't unscrew with an Allen key then use a self tapping screw to turn them. I also found putting the chair bit back together was a challenge. Routing the cable was relatively easy. Take the small internal lights out and you can push a rod through from the rear wardrope to the passanger side. In the front passenger side, remove the grab handle then remove the trim and you will be all the way to the head unit. The trim needs a solid pull to come out. My Cali is blue. I have a spare handle with a built in camera suitable for an aftermarket camera, which I keep meaning to put on ebay or/and here. VW head units are RGB. (5 wire),didn't know this, hence spare! If its a VW headunit then there a couple of sites with the coding requirements.

Removed mine 2 times.
First time to install .... a reversing camera...
The second time, to get rid of a rattle after removing the first time :eek: .
Might have a go for the 3rd time, if I replace the camera I have now (numberplate chinese camera) for a stand alone camera that I can point in the right direction.
Now I can't see my rear bumper or towbar, so it is a good help but not ideal for now.

Back