Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replace battery with one of leasure battery?

bmassaer

bmassaer

Vehicle
Please Select
Hi,

The battery of our T5 California (2007) had come to an end.

Since our leasure batteries are both normal (not deep-cycled); would it be okay to replace just one of them with a deep-cycled battery and use the normal one for the car? Or is it important to have the two leasure batteries identical?

Thank you,

Bart

Why not replace all three with new/correct type , or am I missing something?

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Hi,

The battery of our T5 California (2007) had come to an end.

Since our leasure batteries are both normal (not deep-cycled); would it be okay to replace just one of them with a deep-cycled battery and use the normal one for the car? Or is it important to have the two leasure batteries identical?

Thank you,

Bart
The two leisure batteries need to be the same, I would replace both & use one of the replaced ones as the engine battery.

The two leasure batteries, unfortunately, are brand new... So I guess In will replace both!

Thank you,

Bart

If you've already got them you might as well use them, replace them when they don't perform as required.

Your performance requirements are known only to you, if you wild camp without hookup for weeks time in winter your requirements would be totally different to someone who only ever camps on hookup in the summer.

We used an old starter battery from a mini to run the leisure circuit in our big white motorhome for a 3 week tour of france, worked fine as we were on hookup most nights.

The important thing to check is whether there is a need to vent the battery.

It will depend on the condition of the other battery really. Ideally you want them both charged up to full individually before installing in the van.

If the voltages aren't the same then the new one will lose charge into the bad one, reducing your capacity and life of the batteries. This is why its recommended to change both.

I'll keep that advice in mind! Thanks!

Back