Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacement of sliding door lower roller - part no. / catalogue?

mji450

mji450

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
On my 2008 California, the nylon wheel on the lower roller mechanism has sheared off presumably after many years of hard work visiting the beach and cleaning/lubrication neglect. My local VW Van Centre has quoted the replacement part at c£145 and probably £80 diagnostic labour charge (which hopefully would include the install of replacement part after 2 mins of diagnosis to see the roller needs replacement). I'm tempted by DIY fix if only I could identify the correct part number from the plethora of ebay/amazon ads for 'official VW' parts at <£20. Previous threads on this topic dont list the part numbers and I cant see working link to parts catalogue/drawings - can anyone help identify resources to locate correct part number? Thank you

Ask your VW parts dept. To provide you with the correct part number and a supply only price of the part ( they will if you request it email an exploded parts diagram).

search the forum for threads and “how to” examples

The supply only price is the c£145 hence my motivation to see if independent seller part can be located for c£20 and fit myself. Most of the on-line model selectors come up with Transporter, Multivan or Caravelle and with different door configurations (including LHS, RHS etc), hard to know that part number is correct for California...

The supply only price is the c£145 hence my motivation to see if independent seller part can be located for c£20 and fit myself. Most of the on-line model selectors come up with Transporter, Multivan or Caravelle and with different door configurations (including LHS, RHS etc), hard to know that part number is correct for California...
Request the part number from the VW Dealer parts department (presumably they have provided the quote)

I would imagine the Cali part number is the same for the Caravelle Right hand slider (off side) as the door, body shell etc is identical on that side.

failing that one of the major VW parts retailers (trade type) or a company such as Just Kampers, Heritage part centre etc

I fitted this one when mine exploded in 2019:

Seems to have done the job, although I don't think the quality is probably as good as the genuine part. Having said that, the VW one obviously wasn't that great either! Took about an hour to fit, if I remember rightly. You just need some blocks with padding on top to rest the door on when you take the old roller off.

I followed markh advice and have bought the replacement part from Ebay but haven't had chance to fit yet, hoping to have some time in coming days to try.

A friend has had to replace the lower sliding door roller assembly and purchased from an aftermarket source. He fitted it without any problem but did slip up on one item. The release cable failed to slide the outer of the Bowden cable fully into the casting. This resulted in being unable to open the door due to the complete door release mechanism being prevented from full movement!!!
The only answer to that is to remove the inner panel from the door from inside and releasing the mechanism manually, which whilst not impossible this is a very difficult job.
Moral of story, make sure that the cable outer is correctly seated in the lower runner assembly when you reassemble the parts.

Also be aware that THE DOOR IS VERY HEAVY and must be supported safely whilst the bottom roller assembly is removed!

Thanks for these additional tips, very helpful and will re-read before starting the job.

Thanks for these additional tips, very helpful and will re-read before starting the job.
Transporter manuals are here if you need them https://cardiagn.com/ . Type it in DON'T use the link. It's bit of a fiddle to navigate to what you need but they are genuine dealer manuals and everything is there somewhere.

Is there a requirement to routinely lubricate the sliding door mechanism? If so, any advice on what to use and how/where to apply?

Finally got round to fitting the replacement part, it was relatively straight forward and made easier with second pair of eyes/hands from fellow campervan owning friend. Everything works but just not running with OEM precision - not sure if this is small variation in aftermarket part or overall wear and tear in the whole door system...I don't think I can get it running better, need to decide if I ask dealer to investigate when it goes in for imminent service...

For info, in case of future searches. Worth noting that the 2016 model has the little hook to attached to clip the door open. it's released via a cable attached to the door handle. I had the same experience. bought the £15 one from eBay. fitting was simple enough but it couldn't manage the weight and the hook wouldn't engage so that the door was clipped open. Bought and fitted the whole VW kit (£160) and worked perfectly.

Back