Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Restonica Valley, Corsica

wyn

wyn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We will shortly be visiting Corsica and one destination we have in mind to visit is the Restonica Valley near Corte
Several guide books refer to restrictions on motorhomes and caravans using the D623 into the valley but I have not been able to find out online whether this restriction would extend to the California/T5
Has anyone here driven to the head of the valley in a California or a T5 if so do you have any advice regarding times/days to avoid etc

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hi Wyn,

We drove to the end of the Restonica valley with the Cali in 2011, with no problems. However, halfway the single track is a raising bar, where you have to buy a parking ticket. The Grotella parking at the very end of the valley is very crowded in summer, so we had to turn back to a lower parking, about a mile down north.

After a very pleasant climbing walk to the two lakes, we found ourselves between hundreds of walkers resting at the beautiful rocky shores. Best to go there early in the day to avoid the crowd.

Oh, and wild camping is forbidden in the valley. We camped in Corte on the simple but nice campsite U Sognu, at the beginning of the Restonica valley.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully the traffic and the number of walkers will be less in May!

Wyn

Ooh, I am sceming Corsica for October.
ANY advice much appreciated.

I'll get my map out to look for this valley.

If you Google Restonica Valley and choose images I m sure you ll agree it s a must see.
We will be leaving for Corsica on the 29th of April and returning on the 15th of May
Since we are travelling from South Wales we will be using Brittany Ferries Portsmouth Caen ferry then Corsica ferries from Toulon to Ajaccio outward Ajaccio to Nice inbound We have allowed a day and a half to cross France with overnight stops at Bourges on the way out and Lyon on the return
We will have a full fortnight in Corsica and the plan is to turn left on leaving the ferry and to travel clockwise around the coast with detours inland to Corte and the Col de Bavella

We are heading to Corsica in September.... Any tips and recommendations appreciated... planning stuff at the moment...

> the plan is to turn left on leaving the ferry
> and to travel clockwise around the coast

We did the same: clockwise, to save the impressive West coast of Corsica for the last part of the journey. In fact, we skipped part of the touristic beachy East coast and headed for the mountains of Corte right away, then south-east again to Bonifacio.

Found a nice campsite called Rosmarinu, along the D268. Not cheap, but a fine place to swim in the river. No shop, no electricity at those days (2011)

More remote campsites in Evisa (Acciola), Porto (Les Oliviers), Vallica. In Bonifacio there's only cp Araguina, cramped, but at walking distance of the castle.

Waiting for the ferry back, we avoided the harbour parking, and had a relaxing day and night at cp Les Sables Rouges, 2 miles south of Bastia.

It's tempting to post tons of pictures, but that will spoil your expectations... Ok, a few.

Have a nice trip,

Marc.

Corsica_Map_Clockwise.jpeg

SAM_0699_cp_Rosmarinu.jpeg

SAM_0718cp_Araguina.jpeg

SAM_0914_cp_Acciola.jpeg

SAM_0968_Calanques.jpeg

SAM_0650_Corte.jpeg

Made it !! One of the high points of our trip - literally and in terms of the scenery.

27b03bab16f858cdf6af73803d64e13f.jpg
c009a1f70861d33d2a392b66f99dc6bb.jpg

Made it !! One of the high points of our trip - literally and in terms of the scenery

Hi wyn,

Great pictures, stunning landscape. Where's the Cali? ;-) Did it make it on the single track?

Hope you enjoy some sun too.

Marc.

Made it !! One of the high points of our trip - literally and in terms of the scenery.

27b03bab16f858cdf6af73803d64e13f.jpg
c009a1f70861d33d2a392b66f99dc6bb.jpg

Oh, I'm so jealous...

Here s one with the Cali We drove as far as the Bergeries de Grotelle at the head of the valley
My wife was driving at the time and the view from the front passenger seat in a RHD van was quite scary at times especially in the middle section of the gorge! Well worth it but I would probably take the shuttle bus in summer

7c8d6a7adac730e631435c49a25ba487.jpg

Back