Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Retrofit

Bobbybus

Bobbybus

Learning how to be a hedonist...
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hello from Leeds. I have been on the forum for a while but this is my first post. I have not got a Cali yet but have recently taken early retirement so I now have the funds to buy one and the time to enjoy it!
I will not be buying a new one but will probably be buying used from this forum or a main dealer. I have found the info on this forum very helpful but I have a few questions for you that I have not been able to gain full answers from the searches I have done:
1. Can you retrofit a hot water system such as the Webasto theromotop C complete with rear shower head?
2. Can you retrofit heated seating elements?
3. Can you retrofit a roof mounted solar panel to be linked to the leisure battery?
I would be grateful for any advice.
Thanks
RDH1

Hi and welcome ,
You can retrofit almost everyting , if you retrofit a lot you better buy new....

As for 1 : the webasto heats the interieur of the Cali , other pre- heats the coolingsystem of the engine...not the water running from the watertap or in your case the shower
As for 2 : think not , probaly have to swap the seats...
As for 3 : no probs

Feel free to correct me if wrong;)

Last edited:
Thanks all. I cant afford new, hence considering the retrofit option.

Hi rdh1, welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry I can't help regarding your questions - others are far more knowledgeable than me!
You have made me wonder about the heated seats though - have Calis not always come with heated front seats as standard? Or is it a Beach/SE difference? I suspect I am going to learn something new from this too :thumb

Maud

Welcome RDH1, like Maud I thought they all (assuming you are going for UK spec SE) came with heated seats; they (SE) all come (diesel) Eberspacher air heating; all only have cold water. The later SE's appear also to have Webasto coolant heaters that operate below 5C to assist the engine to warm up quickly. I don't think solar panels have ever been an option but there are three batteries on board and we have never needed supplemental charging.

I'm not sure what the Beach version includes but I would guess that if these options are not standard most of them are specced up from new.

Have fun choosing :)

Colin

I have a 08 Cali heated front seats came as standard.

Thank you again. I didn't realise that heated seats have always been available.
Regards the hot water thing; I am wanting to fit running hot water to the sink and add a shower attachment at the rear also with running hot water if possible. (This is for my habitually filthy dog)! I know that this has not been an option but was hoping that somebody had knowledge of a conversion, perhaps in conjunction with the existing air heater or as a replacement. Can anybody recommend somebody in the general Yorkshire area?

Thanks

Thank you again. I didn't realise that heated seats have always been available.
Regards the hot water thing; I am wanting to fit running hot water to the sink and add a shower attachment at the rear also with running hot water if possible. (This is for my habitually filthy dog)! I know that this has not been an option but was hoping that somebody had knowledge of a conversion, perhaps in conjunction with the existing air heater or as a replacement. Can anybody recommend somebody in the general Yorkshire area?

Thanks
Try these guys
http://www.vanwurks.co.uk/vanwurks-12-240v-mini-6-litre-water-heater-with-mixer-valve.html

Where in the Cali this boiler will be installed?
It can be usefull and looks good, but i can only see a small advantage as for heating while driving , if you must plug it in 220v when not driving one can use a waterketle on 220v.
Find it a bit overkill in a Cali , but everyone his does his own thing...;)

As has been said, solar panel pretty easy. Heated seat should be standard and retrofit probably not worth it.

Shower fitting easy to do as has been done in a forum post -presumably the dog doesn't need a hit one.

Hot water bit more of a challenge particularly if you want it at the sink and shower. Would be nice but not a lot of spare space to hide it - Look forward to hearing if anyone has thought seriously about it

Back