Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Retrofitting options

Hi,

narrowed my search down to a 180dsg cali and there are a few about but all tend to have completely different specs.

interested for any of the experts on here to let me know if the following are retrofitable (is that even a word?)

- Multi function steering wheel
- xenon lights
- cruise/ auto dimming mirrors and rain sensor stuff

Cheers
M

Hi M

These are all do-able at a price. Its very expensive to do the xenons, approx. £2-3k I believe. Custard on here has fitted them to his Cali Beach. MFSW and cruise aren't so bad - the steering wheel (approx £3-500) needs fitting and coding, and the cruise is approx. £300 to fit.

HTH :thumb

What is your ideal specification ?

On a full Cali going down the retrofit route is not one you have to think about. UK Cali's don't actually have that much variation in equipment and getting one with fair amount of kit is fairly straight forward.

If you are retrofitting sat nav that can make sense and if you are retrofitting to create something individual or personal then there is an argument to do it.

I'd just wait for the right spec to come along. UK Cali's have a slightly odd equipment set up although I think that's been made simpler for this years vehicles.

Retrofitting is an expensive way to get the vehicle you want.

Your list of retrofit items can be done but not cheaply. UK Cali's don't come with auto lights (I believe) but if you retro fit them it can be done. To give you a fair idea on the cost of your list you'd be looking at around 5k (thereabouts) to fit those items if none of them are on the Cali.

James

ouch. thats more than i was hoping.

i will probably have to be flexible to but my ideal spec is probably:

180 dsg
driving pack (mfsw / parking sensors and rain sensors)
climate control
awning
tower
then maybe the kenwood sat nav if it isnt standard

either xenons or grey alcantara would be nice but not essential and the towbar i could get aftermarket i guess.

looks like i am going to have to just ring round dealers but this takes patience. i tried this morning and had a couple of salesman trying to pass std cali spec off as options which was confusing but i suppose their bread and butter sales are commercial vans so cant be too harsh!

Whats the tower?

mooro said:
ouch. thats more than i was hoping.

i will probably have to be flexible to but my ideal spec is probably:

180 dsg
driving pack (mfsw / parking sensors and rain sensors)
climate control
awning
tower
then maybe the kenwood sat nav if it isnt standard

either xenons or grey alcantara would be nice but not essential and the towbar i could get aftermarket i guess.

looks like i am going to have to just ring round dealers but this takes patience. i tried this morning and had a couple of salesman trying to pass std cali spec off as options which was confusing but i suppose their bread and butter sales are commercial vans so cant be too harsh!

The Xenons will be the hardest to find. The best bet would to order from factory, if you're searching for a used Cali then the Xenons may command more money and if like me you retrofit them that also costs.

You could collect the parts needed for Xenons and save money that way. That would probably involve ordering from Germany.

The spec you've listed is quite common. Speak to SMG see what they say :)

James

I think you'll really struggle to find something with Xenon's fitted so you'll likely be staring in a factory order in the face.

MFSW should be no problem and there are some on eBay for around £160 ish.

CC Install kit is <£100 but you've got to find someone to fit it or of course fit it yourself.

I did my own Tow Bar and have posted some info here.

Once you've done that then you need to match or 'code' it to the vehicle which is a simple job provided you have the right gear - There are a few of us with the correct tool to do it, mainly all located south of London.

Side step the Kenwood and get yourself an RNS510.

There are some options which don't make sense to retrofit if you can avoid it -

Privacy Glass (Can be substituted with tints).
Parking Sensors - Can be done but requires lots of work.
Xenon Lights - V Expensive.
Vis Pack

Stu said:
Cruise at a fitted price -

here

Thats not for the GP model. Its a bit more involved on the GP, than adding a stalk and coding it.

Stu said:
Try something like -

This

this

or this

Hi Stu, can I ask whether you have or someone on here has actually done this, (retrofit MFSW).
It's something that didn't come on our Cali but definitely something I miss, mainly for the radio volume, (such a huge effort reaching for that volume knob!). Trawling the net it doesn't seem quite as simple as replacing the steering wheel as suggested above and coding via VCDS. I'll be happy if it is but looks like a bit of additional wiring is involved, see here....

"All thats needed to fit MFSW to a 5.1 and make it work.
Change steering wheel to MFSW or change the two panels with the buttons if you already have a 3 spoke leather wheel from VW.
Replace small wiring loom behind the airbag, 3C8 971 584F
Fit 2 wires to the rear of the clockspring /stalks wiring, (vw wiring repair wires 000 979 135E)
One goes to ignition live and the other pin 10 on clock spring to pin 17 of the white 73pin plug on the body control module, (already has a wire in that position as its the Lin bus,solder onto this wire).
Code the body control module with vcds to say you have a mfsw "

Would appreciate your thoughts... I'm keen to give this a go but I don't want to over complicate things if it's unnecessary. (I do have factory cruise as I believe that's relevant).

Thanks, Will

WillSS said:
Stu said:
Try something like -

This

this

or this

Hi Stu, can I ask whether you have or someone on here has actually done this, (retrofit MFSW).
It's something that didn't come on our Cali but definitely something I miss, mainly for the radio volume, (such a huge effort reaching for that volume knob!). Trawling the net it doesn't seem quite as simpleton as replacing the steering wheel as suggested above and coding via VCDS. I'll be happy if it is but looks like a bit of additional wiring is involved, see here....

Change steering wheel to MFSW or change the two panels with the buttons if you already have a 3 spoke leather wheel from VW.
Fit 2 wires to the rear of the clockspring /stalks wiring, (vw wiring repair wires 000 979 135E)
One goes to ignition live and the other pin 10 on clock spring to pin 17 of the white 73pin plug on the body control module, (already has a wire in that position as its the Lin bus,solder onto this wire).

Would appreciate your thoughts... I'm keen to give this a go but I don't want to over complicate things if it's unnecessary. (I do have factory cruise as I believe that's relevant).

Thanks, Will

Talk to Hazzy Days. They can do all of this at a price of course.

Now that would be far too easy. DIY all the way!

Retrofitting cruise control on a GP is not that difficult. New stalk, some new wiring and connecting it up then programming. You have to have the correct on-board power control unit otherwise it will not code and you will need to replace it with the correct one.

cheers

WillSS said:
Stu said:
Try something like -

This

this

or this

It's something that didn't come on our Cali but definitely something I miss, mainly for the radio volume, (such a huge effort reaching for that volume knob!). Trawling the net it doesn't seem quite as simple as replacing the steering wheel as suggested above and coding via VCDS. I'll be happy if it is but looks like a bit of additional wiring is involved, see here....

Thanks, Will

I replied to your PM Will