RNS 315 Upgrade

Ajspicer

Ajspicer

VIP Member
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi,

I understand the Rns 315 is not a factory option for the California but know it's a plug and play easy upgrade.

We currently have a dab 310 but would like to read some feedback regarding the Rns 315 if anyone has one fitted. Is the navigation reliable and does the bluetooth work with an iPhone 4?

Any info would be much appreciate before we pick one up off ebay.

Many thanks,

Andrew.

Depending on your Dashboard. If you have a Cali Comfortlone the RCD310dab has the angular Version. The RNS315 is only available with the "Round" Frontplate, so it won't fit.

I am sure it works well and pairs with an iPhone, but to be sure take a look at some of the golf forums.

The main down side is the map updates. For the 315 you have to buy an sd card from vw. The sd card becomes linked to the stereo so can't be lent to a friend or resold.

With the 510 you update via dvd which is copyable and shareable!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I have the 315, and it came with my van new but it didn't have bluetooth by default, you need the extra kit as far as I am aware.

Just had a look at VDCS may be cheaper to install the kit ;) are there any other benefits to using it? can it effect warranty?

It is handy for all vw diy tinkering. There are loads of people on the forum with a copy if you need one off jobs doing. Normal currency is one beer per change :)

Where are you based?

This forum is so useful!

Sounds good, if anyone with VCDS Midlands way fancies a few beers on me, I'd be interested if this can be enabled. ;)

I am in Kettering and often Hinckley if that is Midlands enough :).

Although currently in Italy so might be a while!!!!

Maybe heading up to Tamworth this w/e, I have the proper VCSD lead if needed.

With reference to the original thread, can't you upgrade to the RNS 510? Sounds like a lot of hassle for a small upgrade.

If you need a hand and are not in a rush then let me know I will be in Hinckley sometime w/c 17th Aug

If you need a hand and are not in a rush then let me know I will be in Hinckley sometime w/c 17th Aug

Sounds good, I am in no rush so whenever is convenient :)

p.s. sorry for hijacking thread.

Last edited:
With reference to the original thread, can't you upgrade to the RNS 510? Sounds like a lot of hassle for a small upgrade.

Whilst the 510 is affordable without DAB, second hand units with DAB are expensive, furthermore, the 510 requires a separate bluetooth module pushing the price up even more. We are happy with our ipad for films etc on long drives for the little one so we do not require the DVD playback facility.

Back