Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Swapping RCD310 to RNS 315 Satnav/head unit?

Morganic

Morganic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
My neighbour had a 14 plate VW Sharan. He has up graded his satnav/head RNS315 unit to the Kenwood unit. He prefers the Kenwood system
He has offered me the 315 unit. My current unit is a RCD 310 with Bluetooth and DAB as does the 315. Both are 2014 vehicles.

Is there any difficulty swapping the 310 for the 315? He has the code and my local VW van centre will fit it for me at a reasonable price and will set it up for me

The 315 unit is a facory fit option for my van.

Is this viable or is there something I should be asking.

This is an easy swap that will take no more than 30 minutes. You will need a separate GPS aerial, which is easily obtainable off eBay, and will need to be mounted under the dashboard somewhere. A worthwhile upgrade as well :thumb

Easy swap this as stated above, I wouldn't bother paying a garage for the install :)

Many thanks. I think I will give it a go and fit it myself.

Morganic said:
Many thanks. I think I will give it a go and fit it myself.

It really is that easy, give a call if you want me to talk you through it :thumb

Hi Oli
Many thanks. Will give it a go and if I get stuck I'll call you
Regards
Morgan

Hi
Not sure which GPS aerial I need? Can you point me in right direction please?
Regards

Thanks. Do I need any Canbus coding or is it "Plug and Play "?

It will work fine plug and play, but for full integration with the little screen near the speed/rev counter you will need some coding.

You could get VW to do it for you, or leave it until you cross paths with someone with VCDS - there is normally someone with the cable at meetings or living near by.

The physical swap really is trivial.

T

Anyone any idea where best place to mount GPS aerial ?
I have ordered one as suggested above from ebay.

To remove the stereo - you have to remove the black tray on the dashboard - it just pulls off - when you remove it you will see the top of the stereo mounted in a plastic cage - the is plenty of room to mount the GPS aerial on top of the stereo mounting cage.

The aerial can "see through" the black tray and through the windscreen to the sky and gets a good signal. Just be careful when fitting the stereo back - the first time I did it I crimped the GPS wire, it still worked but gave variable results - replacing the GPS aerial fixed it and it can see loads of satellites.

T

teeboy said:
To remove the stereo - you have to remove the black tray on the dashboard - it just pulls off - when you remove it you will see the top of the stereo mounted in a plastic cage - the is plenty of room to mount the GPS aerial on top of the stereo mounting cage.

The aerial can "see through" the black tray and through the windscreen to the sky and gets a good signal. Just be careful when fitting the stereo back - the first time I did it I crimped the GPS wire, it still worked but gave variable results - replacing the GPS aerial fixed it and it can see loads of satellites.

T

Many thanks. Just need a warm day to give it a go.

Hi
Gave it a go. Managed to get unit changed over and then went to my friendly non franchise VW service guy who coded it for me. Works well. Thanks to everyone for contributions.

Back