Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

RNS 510 Sat Nav map & firmware updates

A

AndyFromTheBrac

Guest User
Spurred on by a recent post, I was wondering whether the procedure to flash the firmware is always required in order to simply update the maps, or if I can find out somewhere.

I've SW-version 3970 & maps 7690 (Navteq) see pic

e7ydu7ag.jpg

Is anyone aware of this kind of info reliably available anywhere?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Recommend the VWnavi forum for RNS info. 3970 is reasonably up to date firmware, no real issues from my experience. I believe there is newer, but with little benefit in terms of features (radio text maybe?)

Map updates can be done independently, I recommend only flashing firmware if you have issues, it's quite a scary experience :)

Re: RNS 510 Sat Nav map & firmware updates

Andy, did you need to use VAGCom to enable the hidden setup menu that displays the version information? Been trying to discover the version of mine - to no avail...

Thanks Maq I've seen some horror stories which worried me a bit (& I work in IT infrastructure)

Danny, it's quite straightforward. Just keep holding down the setup button. Keep it pressed when the normal setup screen appears & also when radio service mode appears & you then get the testmode menu. Choose version info at the top :)

Here's a tube of you to illustrate...

http://youtu.be/5ZMqOUSFRoE

I updated the firmware and maps on the 510 unit in my old Skoda Octavia without any problems.
It does take a while to do but worked OK each time.
I believe the latest firmware, (not sure of the version no) allows you put custom POIs (speedcams ect) on by using the SD card. I didn't get round to doing this as it was a company car and went back to the leasing company.

Thanks for the info Andy, unfortunately mine won't go into the test mode menu, I think I'll have to get a main dealer to enable it via VAGCom....bit of a pain but still cheaper than getting the main dealer to update the software.

briwy said:
I updated the firmware and maps on the 510 unit in my old Skoda Octavia without any problems.
It does take a while to do but worked OK each time.
I believe the latest firmware, (not sure of the version no) allows you put custom POIs (speedcams ect) on by using the SD card. I didn't get round to doing this as it was a company car and went back to the leasing company.

Latest firmware only adds 'radio text' & some bug fixes. Adding personal poi has been availible for a while, not sure what f/w added it though.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

I found Satnav Systems in Surbiton who offer a Firmware and Software update service.
I got the latest firmware + V9 (2013) maps for Europe + full 7 digit postcode + Speed Camera display for £90 all in (they even gave me a nice cup of coffee and Wifi while they did it).
Needless to say I'm as happy as Larry :D

Rexx88 said:
I found Satnav Systems in Surbiton who offer a Firmware and Software update service.
I got the latest firmware + V9 (2013) maps for Europe + full 7 digit postcode + Speed Camera display for £90 all in (they even gave me a nice cup of coffee and Wifi while they did it).
Needless to say I'm as happy as Larry :D

So you likely paid £90 for something that, if you're going to go the counterfeit route, you could have downloaded yourself.

Looking for some advice here.
I have downloaded the latest map updates from the Navteq site (actually free) and am now wondering how to get it onto the RNS unit.
Previously when I have updated the maps on the Skoda it has been by using a DVD but the Navteq site says to extract to an SD card and put in ONE of the card slots. My unit only has one slot so can anyone tell me if this will work.
Alternatively I can extract it to a DVD and try that but I'm a bit wary of messing it all up.
Thanks for any help
Brian

briwy said:
Looking for some advice here.
I have downloaded the latest map updates from the Navteq site (actually free) and am now wondering how to get it onto the RNS unit.
Previously when I have updated the maps on the Skoda it has been by using a DVD but the Navteq site says to extract to an SD card and put in ONE of the card slots. My unit only has one slot so can anyone tell me if this will work.
Alternatively I can extract it to a DVD and try that but I'm a bit wary of messing it all up.
Thanks for any help
Brian

Looked on Navteq site a few days ago. They do not list RNS510 under VW so did not bother. Don't want to risk bricking my RNS.

Which file did you download ?

If you burn it to a DVD, doesn't the RNS automatically use that first, over the version on HDD? The one I bought (at a discount rate, ahem!) operated that way. Once happy with it (after a few trials), I uploaded & overwrote the HDD version.

Andy

AndyFromTheBrac said:
If you burn it to a DVD, doesn't the RNS automatically use that first, over the version on HDD? The one I bought (at a discount rate, ahem!) operated that way. Once happy with it (after a few trials), I uploaded & overwrote the HDD version.

Andy

Possibly, but map data needs to be correct one for RNS, the navteq site does not list RNS that I can see.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies.
The update I have downloaded is for a Discover Pro unit which looks identical to the RNS510 apart from having two SD slots. Incidentally it took a day to download just over 15GB, either very busy or rubbish servers.
However, as mentioned I'm wary of using it in case it fouls up the unit.
I have emailed Navteq with details of the RNS unit so hopefully they will be able to supply some answers. If it's good news I'll post the details.

I have downloaded both.

The RNS 510 and Discover pro have different files. I would be very surprised if it works.

Regarding a previous post and a £90 update of maps and firmware. There is no difference between downloading both from counterfeit peer to peer or using that firm. The firm is illegally updating the rns510.

Not taking a moral stance here as the maps purchased from VW are extortionate :)

The discover pro that comes with the MK7 golf comes with two years of free updates. Not sure how that is going to be enforced

Navteq have responded that they do not issue updates for the RNS510 and say to refer to VW. :sad
At least they reply quickly.

Update mine via a burnt DVD no probs, needed to be dual layer Verbatim DVDR though. Now have full postcodes and speedcams. I used "VW RNS510 Western Europe V.9 (7920) with SpeedCams" worked a treat :thumb

danny13 said:
Update mine via a burnt DVD no probs, needed to be dual layer Verbatim DVDR though. Now have full postcodes and speedcams. I used "VW RNS510 Western Europe V.9 (7920) with SpeedCams" worked a treat :thumb

Just done ours, can't say I notice much difference as yet in the map (7918 to 7920) and there are very few speed cameras on. I'll have to get them loaded up separately. Must remember to turn them of when in France.

Back