Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roadtrip to Tuscany in July - Looking for recommendations for stopovers

R

richpainter

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi All,
looking for advice. We're going for a week in Italy at the end of July. The week is in a villa so no need for camping but rather than fly out we thought we would take the new van and have a road trip there and back. We have 2 kids who will be 1 & 4 so looking for ideas and places to stay, we want to make the van trip enjoyable rather than boot it there and back.
Looking for recommendations from people that have done this sort of thing before, it will be our first trip outside of UK I think so need a few pointers on what is reasonable for amount of days to get down there and what would be the highlights of the trip.
Any ideas welcome, were starting to look at the viamichelin website but recommendations are much better that a road map!

Hi All,
looking for advice. We're going for a week in Italy at the end of July. The week is in a villa so no need for camping but rather than fly out we thought we would take the new van and have a road trip there and back. We have 2 kids who will be 1 & 4 so looking for ideas and places to stay, we want to make the van trip enjoyable rather than boot it there and back.
Looking for recommendations from people that have done this sort of thing before, it will be our first trip outside of UK I think so need a few pointers on what is reasonable for amount of days to get down there and what would be the highlights of the trip.
Any ideas welcome, were starting to look at the viamichelin website but recommendations are much better that a road map!
How long do you actually have? Barcelona to Calais is two days for us...looks like you have a three day trip each way, without stopping much along the way.

Italy in July...I know I have fully adopted the local culture in Barcelona, where Catalans flee to the mountains in summer and leave the beaches (lower case b!) to the Germans and the Brits, but...have you considered just stopping in Lauterbrunnen?

Last edited:
Nice to hear you guys all like Switzerland
We sure got some nice places here beside Lauterbrunnen.
Check out Vitznau:

Camping Vitznau
Altdorfstrasse 34, 6354 Vitznau
041 397 12 80

I can recommend Kirchzarten next to Freiburg im Breisgau:

We visited Volterra and here you could stay (no bathrooms): Parcheggio "Docciola"
Piazzale di Docciola, 56048 Volterra PI, Italien

Happy planning!

Hello Rich,
We did this a couple of years ago. You might find this helpful.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back