Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof bar placement

J

JGov

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
I’m trying to figure out what is the ‘best’ placement for these VW Roof Bars in our T6.1 Coast. The manual only specifies minimum 300mm from both ends and maximum 760mm apart, which leaves a big space to choose from. But from an aerodynamic and noise point of view: anybody have a clue what a good setup is for carrying 2 surfboards next to each other?

I was thinking 400mm from the front end, but I have no clue what I’m doing here.

BD7A12B3-A4F5-4C0B-BF8D-DFB8406A006F.jpeg

E80CBE12-115D-4F57-AC29-5865F8D35103.jpeg

I’m trying to figure out what is the ‘best’ placement for these VW Roof Bars in our T6.1 Coast. The manual only specifies minimum 300mm from both ends and maximum 760mm apart, which leaves a big space to choose from. But from an aerodynamic and noise point of view: anybody have a clue what a good setup is for carrying 2 surfboards next to each other?

I was thinking 400mm from the front end, but I have no clue what I’m doing here.

View attachment 80649

View attachment 80650
Mine are set as below and carry surfboards, SUP & kayakranging 10’ to 5’ in length. Strangely my MPG / tank range goes up with a full roof load!

Would ideally have the rear one set back further, but then it’s too far for the fitting my roof box.

You shouldn’t notice any additional noise as the Cali already has the aerodynamics of a brick! If your straps make a humming noise just put a twist in them to break the airflow up and the noise will stop.

If you have custom boards, it’s better to put them in a Boardbag to avoid damage when tightening the roof rack straps.

9EEC2EDD-9FDB-4B90-855F-9F19C2EBB348.jpegC6D909E4-FB49-4668-A8B7-5EAC327FFFBE.jpeg16ABBF9D-DCA0-48E4-BF67-19DD604277E1.jpeg

Alright, it seems your even closer to the front and you leave more space between the bars. From your post I can assume you travelled many miles and never had any big mishaps? I found one manufacturer who stated ‘always attach surfboards also to the front and the back of YOUR CAR, because these things can generate enormous amounts of lift’. I’ve got to admit that I’ve never seen anyone do that, I don’t even see how that’s possible without drilling holes through the nose and tail of my beloved fish.

Alright, it seems your even closer to the front and you leave more space between the bars. From your post I can assume you travelled many miles and never had any big mishaps? I found one manufacturer who stated ‘always attach surfboards also to the front and the back of YOUR CAR, because these things can generate enormous amounts of lift’. I’ve got to admit that I’ve never seen anyone do that, I don’t even see how that’s possible without drilling holes through the nose and tail of my beloved fish.
Yep, been putting boards on roofs for 30+ years!..Securing front and back is more relevant to a car with a shorter roof for say a 10ft plus board or kayak. Cali roof is nice and long so not really required.

And would there be any difference in stacking boards or putting them next to each other? Stacking means less tie down hassle (1 pair of straps instead of 2) but more drag I presume?

Back