Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof failing after warranty corrosion work

SHedman2401

SHedman2401

Shedman2401
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I had the warranty corrosion work done through The Manchester Van Centre a couple of years ago and it's been a nightmare ever since. They outsourced the work apparently. The roof started to fail within a couple of months so they had it back in and said the repairer had botched the job. They got it working again but now it has totally failed again. The camper has done 37k but is not fit for purpose! The Airbag warning light is on for the third time too. I am seriously doubting the quality of this vehicle. It's ruined several holidays. Just waiting to see what VW's next move is. I hope they get it sorted!

When you say you took it in for warranty work on the roof did they tell you exactly what they did as to the repair? When ours was done they didn’t touch any of the roof mechanism. It was sanded back to bare Aluminium then treated then a new roof seal glued into place.
Is it possible it’s just one of those unfortunate things that have happened to ALL of us that own a VW California and not just the roof but pretty much everything.

When you say you took it in for warranty work on the roof did they tell you exactly what they did as to the repair? When ours was done they didn’t touch any of the roof mechanism. It was sanded back to bare Aluminium then treated then a new roof seal glued into place.
Is it possible it’s just one of those unfortunate things that have happened to ALL of us that own a VW California and not just the roof but pretty much everything.
They apparently replaced the forward roof part and when it went in after the first failure, VW admitted that the contractor had made a mess of the wiring; it is definitely connected with the mess made during the warranty work. VW admitted as much but have failed to fix it a second time. When I spend this much on a vehicle for camping in I expect it to keep working well past 37k!!

I know that VW originally some years ago replaced the front roof panel with a new Aluminium panel at a cost of so I’m told £4000. This was obviously not a repeatable repair at that cost so then the came up with the plastic panel covering the original. But even these have caused many problems with wind noise and water leaks.
I thought VW had stopped doing the full replacement much more than 2 years ago.
I suppose if they have already admitted the sub contractor who they appointed, cocked up then you have got them by the balls. It’s their responsibility and not yours to sort it out for you.Have you taken it to VW CC? I’ve been down the VWCC route and sometimes you feel like you are banging your head against a brick wall.
Don’t give up and good luck.

I know that VW originally some years ago replaced the front roof panel with a new Aluminium panel at a cost of so I’m told £4000. This was obviously not a repeatable repair at that cost so then the came up with the plastic panel covering the original. But even these have caused many problems with wind noise and water leaks.
I suppose if they have already admitted the sub contractor who they appointed, cocked up then you have got them by the balls. It’s their responsibility and not yours to sort it out for you.Have you taken it to VW CC? I’ve been down the VWCC route and sometimes you feel like you are banging your head against a brick wall.
Yes I am in touch with VWCC. It goes in for inspection on 15th September. We'll see how it goes then. Hopefully I'll be able to report some good news after then.

Fingers crossed for VWCC!

Back