Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof leak that’s not the drains

micheh20

micheh20

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
I have a leak one side in my SE 2008. The four roof drains are clear, all seals are cleaned but every time it rains a small section of the fabric and roof lining is wet which is the top of the roof section not the base??

any suggestions as I have done the drains??

TIA

I have a leak one side in my SE 2008. The four roof drains are clear, all seals are cleaned but every time it rains a small section of the fabric and roof lining is wet which is the top of the roof section not the base??

any suggestions as I have done the drains??

TIA
When the roof is lowered the bellows folds inwards so not impossible for some of the upper canvas to fold over the lower canvas seal and protrude into the gutter around the roof.
Having said that there shouldn’t be much, if any water, in the gutter when the roof is down.
Check the elevating roof seal for damage, check that it lies snug against the roof when closed, all away around.
Also check that the canvas is folding inwards properly when the roof is lowered, especially where the wet patch is.

When the roof is lowered the bellows folds inwards so not impossible for some of the upper canvas to fold over the lower canvas seal and protrude into the gutter around the roof.
Having said that there shouldn’t be much, if any water, in the gutter when the roof is down.
Check the elevating roof seal for damage, check that it lies snug against the roof when closed, all away around.
Also check that the canvas is folding inwards properly when the roof is lowered, especially where the wet patch is.
We have a bellows bungee so everything pulled in tight away from the edge, the seal look s flat with no sign or damage….?.

No dampness on the roof lining?

Yes we have one spot of roof lining that damp right in the top corner..almos likes it’s coming from the top dripping in from the top
It’s not anywhere near the recessed roof rails? i Recall someone having problems with a roof leaking around one of the rivets that secure the rail.

It’s not anywhere near the recessed roof rails? i Recall someone having problems with a roof leaking around one of the rivets that secure the rail.
It’s at the very front just into the corner

Hello, I’m having exactly the same issue, it’s been going on for a while now. The roof lining damps at the front right corner. With the roof open I tried pouring water into the gutters and it seems like water drains quickly in the same way on both front corners but the right corner gets wet every time it rains. I also sealed the rivets that secures the rail!

Hello, I’m having exactly the same issue, it’s been going on for a while now. The roof lining damps at the front right corner. With the roof open I tried pouring water into the gutters and it seems like water drains quickly in the same way on both front corners but the right corner gets wet every time it rains. I also sealed the rivets that secures the rail!
Have you checked that the large grommet seal is ok…..
see post #8

2 things I would do .
Is the wet roof lining in one corner?
And would you say it's the lowest part of the roof relative to where you are usually parked (large spirit level) if it is move the van so that another corner is the lowest point .Wait a week preferably with good old wet British weather.
The only possible area that I can see for water to enter is via the roof rails so try to narrow it down to one side.The roof lining is glued on so impossible to remove without making a mess and the blind rivets are put in by the mother of all machines at the factory I've seen the video.
When you have narrowed it down to one side use some clear sealant on the rivets(or anything anyone else can sugget) and then the outer rim of the aluminium roof rail ,looks like a possible water entry point.
No2 the rear black plastic trim at the end of the rails has an oblong removable cap,prise up and underneath on mine is a hole that has sealant in ,looks like it was part of the roof rivet drilling process.
Dig the sealant out.
On inspection it was obvious it was an entry point as you could see staining on the underneath of the roof lining.
Clean out and reseal.
You can take the whole black trim off for better access it is secured only by sealant.
Just be careful there are 2 inserts extended into the aluminium roof rail so prise up from the end furthest away from the roof rail first.

Thanks Soppelsea, great suggestions. I have sealed the roof rail rivets but not the outer rim, I’m gonna try that. I hadn’t pay attention to the black plastic trim at the end of the rail, I’ll try to clean out and reseal that. I’ll let you know if that works out and share some pics. Thanks!

Hi I still have a problem with water leak front passenger side above sliding door plastic meets roof tissue...I've cleaned the drain holes a few times and now have put silicon round the rubber joints ...frustrating...I'll check to see if canvas folds ok...I have a elastic round and that helps...any other suggestions?...

2 things I would do .
Is the wet roof lining in one corner?
And would you say it's the lowest part of the roof relative to where you are usually parked (large spirit level) if it is move the van so that another corner is the lowest point .Wait a week preferably with good old wet British weather.
The only possible area that I can see for water to enter is via the roof rails so try to narrow it down to one side.The roof lining is glued on so impossible to remove without making a mess and the blind rivets are put in by the mother of all machines at the factory I've seen the video.
When you have narrowed it down to one side use some clear sealant on the rivets(or anything anyone else can sugget) and then the outer rim of the aluminium roof rail ,looks like a possible water entry point.
No2 the rear black plastic trim at the end of the rails has an oblong removable cap,prise up and underneath on mine is a hole that has sealant in ,looks like it was part of the roof rivet drilling process.
Dig the sealant out.
On inspection it was obvious it was an entry point as you could see staining on the underneath of the roof lining.
Clean out and reseal.
You can take the whole black trim off for better access it is secured only by sealant.
Just be careful there are 2 inserts extended into the aluminium roof rail so prise up from the end furthest away from the roof rail first.
Hi, do you have any supporting pics by any chance? Thanks

Back