Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof mechanism automatically kicking in

K

KBR

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi All,

I've had a very odd thing happen that I didn't think should be possible which has freaked me out a little. It happens when we have the roof raised on our T5.1 Cali, and all of a sudden, the roof mechanism starts whirring as if it's going up or down. This has happened on a number of occasions, a couple of times when the kids are asleep in the roof and I've nearly soiled myself that they are going to get crushed by the roof! It happened in daylight one time and I didn't notice the roof actually move, but the mechanism definitely kicked in, albeit only for about 5 seconds each time.

When this happens, there are no keys in the ignition.

Is this some sort of normal process that the roof does for some reason? Has anyone else ever experienced this? Maybe it's normal?

The more it happens without me knowing why, the more nervous I am about the kids sleeping up there.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Hi All,

I've had a very odd thing happen that I didn't think should be possible which has freaked me out a little. It happens when we have the roof raised on our T5.1 Cali, and all of a sudden, the roof mechanism starts whirring as if it's going up or down. This has happened on a number of occasions, a couple of times when the kids are asleep in the roof and I've nearly soiled myself that they are going to get crushed by the roof! It happened in daylight one time and I didn't notice the roof actually move, but the mechanism definitely kicked in, albeit only for about 5 seconds each time.

When this happens, there are no keys in the ignition.

Is this some sort of normal process that the roof does for some reason? Has anyone else ever experienced this? Maybe it's normal?

The more it happens without me knowing why, the more nervous I am about the kids sleeping up there.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Normal.
Happens 10hrs or so after last Ignition Off and thereafter at periodic intervals if Hydraulic pressure drops.
Roof Will Not Close, pump just runs to re-pressurise system to correct pressure.
If you want to stop it whilst sleeping turn Ignition On/Off last thing at night.

Thanks Welsh gas, didnt know this, agree with KBR, it is very shocking at 3 iin the morning whilst asleep.

If you want to stop it whilst sleeping turn Ignition On/Off last thing at night.
Yet your roof MAY have sagged a little. Better therefore to not just turn ignition on/off before going to sleep, but to lower the roof 2 cm, and then raise it again and let the pump run until it stops by itself. Then the roof is raised fully and the pressure is maximised. Do this every other night or so, especially when there is a big difference between day and night temperatures or when your roof is in the hot sun during the day.
Makes only sense though if you stay in one place with the roof up for a longer period of time. We have never had it happen when we stay 1, max 2 nights.

Yet your roof MAY have sagged a little. Better therefore to not just turn ignition on/off before going to sleep, but to lower the roof 2 cm, and then raise it again and let the pump run until it stops by itself. Then the roof is raised fully and the pressure is maximised. Do this every other night or so, especially when there is a big difference between day and night temperatures or when your roof is in the hot sun during the day.
Makes only sense though if you stay in one place with the roof up for a longer period of time. We have never had it happen when we stay 1, max 2 nights.
If you are staying on site for a number of days , Switching Ignition On/Off at bedtime just means it will check pressure 10hrs later, at 8 or 9am, instead off in the middle of the night.

Many thanks for the replies. I'll stop panicking at 3am now!