Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roofbox & rack

C

Canyon

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi All,

We are on the hunt for a roofbox for our cali, as kids, dog and sports equipment uses up an awful lot of space (no the dog isnt going in the roofbox)

Having trawled the forums, I thought I had found the ideal solution, which I thought looked v nice on someone elses Cali:

- Wingbar 969
- Thule Dynamic 800

However, it seems that the Thule Dynamic roofbox is discontinued. As such Im really keen to know what other peoples thoughts are on current Thule roofbox/rack offers. Im specifically keen on a lower profile setup and it seems like whatever I enter in to the search I get the option of either Motion XT or Force XT unless I want to spend crazy money

Any assistance/experience much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Canyon

Hi All,

We are on the hunt for a roofbox for our cali, as kids, dog and sports equipment uses up an awful lot of space (no the dog isnt going in the roofbox)

Having trawled the forums, I thought I had found the ideal solution, which I thought looked v nice on someone elses Cali:

- Wingbar 969
- Thule Dynamic 800

However, it seems that the Thule Dynamic roofbox is discontinued. As such Im really keen to know what other peoples thoughts are on current Thule roofbox/rack offers. Im specifically keen on a lower profile setup and it seems like whatever I enter in to the search I get the option of either Motion XT or Force XT unless I want to spend crazy money

Any assistance/experience much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Canyon
I have the 800 with Wingbars. Shame it’s discontinued as it’s pretty low profile but then again it is a little compromised on internal space. Great for skis and squashy items though and it opens from both sides which is handy.

I have the 800 with Wingbars. Shame it’s discontinued as it’s pretty low profile but then again it is a little compromised on internal space. Great for skis and squashy items though and it opens from both sides which is handy.

Thanks for feedback. When you say compromised on internal space, I was wondering about this and have the dilemma of Weight limit vs capacity vs low profile. I know the dynamic is available from resellersso just trying to figure out if I should still go down that route or go for newer options.
We haven’t finalised what will go in the box as yet, just space fillers. Potentially a drive away awning if we go down that route or other stuff we may or may not use on a daily basis but we need to come with. In hindsight would you now opt for a larger roofbox?
Re the wing bars, did you just get standard wing bars

Whispbars + Kamei Husky roofbox.

Above allows for roofbox one side & paddleboard / surfboard stack on the other.

Photo from our old van, Bottom SUP is about 34” wide, so plenty of space.

62A35245-3132-42E3-8242-3C33C6EEB1AA.jpeg

Last edited:
This is a Thule Motion XT Alpine on Thule wing bars and a Thule bike rack. I like the simplicity of securing everything with only one key. It does not leave room for boards beside it like @Ch1pbutty ’s though. It is possible to fit more in it than the recommended roof weight limit so I can see no need to go any bigger.

6D826410-A102-42B2-A804-0D745C1DF9DF.jpeg58EAF134-CD62-4D74-95A1-B177B2CCDE6D.jpeg

This is a Thule Motion XT Alpine on Thule wing bars and a Thule bike rack. I like the simplicity of securing everything with only one key. It does not leave room for boards beside it like @Ch1pbutty ’s though. It is possible to fit more in it than the recommended roof weight limit so I can see no need to go any bigger.

View attachment 62841View attachment 62842

Oooooh that’s pretty!

our Cali is also black, we do have a genuine t5 bike rack so I guess there would be a concern of needing to put roof box further forward. I like that very much though.... in fact now have very very itchy feet lol

I think a drive away awning would be too heavy for a roof box. It’s best for bulky but light items. The weight limit is said to be 50kg (and that includes bars and box). I use mine for additional camping chairs, wetsuits and other such water sports gear that gets wet/sandy and so I don’t want in van.

Oooooh that’s pretty!

our Cali is also black, we do have a genuine t5 bike rack so I guess there would be a concern of needing to put roof box further forward. I like that very much though.... in fact now have very very itchy feet lol
Sorry.... it might be one of the more expensive ones. They do look the part on a black camper. Do you have a solar panel?