Rules on displaying Licence plate

Moakesy

Moakesy

Moakesy
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
First trip away tomorrow in my new van.

Went to get a licence plate for the tow-bar mounted bike rack, but they said they need the V5, which I don't have yet.

Does anyone know if it would it be legal if I took the plate off the back of the tailgate, mounted it on the bike rack, and travelled around with just that plate showing?

I'm still displaying a valid licence plate, just not on the tailgate.

Yes you only need one visible at the front and rear

Went to get a licence plate for the tow-bar mounted bike rack, but they said they need the V5, which I don't have yet.

Does anyone know if it would it be legal if I took the plate off the back of the tailgate, mounted it on the bike rack, and travelled around with just that plate showing?

You can get them on eBay without V5c.
When you say you don't have your van yet I presume it is at a Garage/Dealership? If so they should be able to provide a licence plate easily.

You can get them on eBay without V5c.
When you say you don't have your van yet I presume it is at a Garage/Dealership? If so they should be able to provide a licence plate easily.

I have the van, but not the V5. The place I got it from is some 2.5hours away, so no wish to go back.

As I go away tomorrow, I can't do the online option.....it has to be local. If I'll be alright by switching the plate over, I'll just do that as a one-off. Hopefully the V5 will arrive within the next few days.....just as long as I'm legal.

Legally you are required to display both front and rear index plates on your vehicle. The plates need to conform to specific requirements such as letter size, font, spacing, reflectivity etc. Having a trailer or bike rack makes no difference - plates must be present. If it were me in your position I would be tempted to get artistic and make up a hand made temporary plate for the bike rack instead.

You do require the V5 when purchasing a new plate while you wait... But as mentioned above, you'll find plenty of suppliers on eBay willing to make you up a plate without one.

Interesting this one - when you hitch a trailer it legally becomes part of the towing vehicle whilst attached and you are covered on this basis on most insurance policies. You then only need a plate at the back of the trailer and not on the back of the van as well. So perfectly acceptable to take plate off van and put on back of trailer as the back of the trailer is now technically the back of the vehicle.

However I don’t know if a bike rack technically in law becomes part of the vehicle in the same way a trailer does?

Will be interested to find out where this stands legally?

I got a plate once for a vehicle I didn’t have the V5 while-you-wait from a local place, but had to sign a disclaimer saying the plate was for “show purposes”. Gets round need for V5

I got a plate without the V5 from Halfords. I had my van from new, but SMG Tonbridge were the registered keeper for the first three months. I had a letter from them with information to this effect which Halfords accepted in lieu of the V5.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

If you’ve got a colour photocopier (or camera and printer) you could scan your existing plate in two halves, stick the two paper halves together and protect it with clear tape and put that on the tail gate while the real plate is displayed on your bike rack. No one would notice that it wasn’t a proper plate unless they looked closely.

If you’ve got a colour photocopier (or camera and printer) you could scan your existing plate in two halves, stick the two paper halves together and protect it with clear tape and put that on the tail gate while the real plate is displayed on your bike rack. No one would notice that it wasn’t a proper plate unless they looked closely.
Mmmm... sounds like you know your stuff. Any chance of a German passport just in case I need it after Brexit? :rolleyes:

Mmmm... sounds like you know your stuff. Any chance of a German passport just in case I need it after Brexit? :rolleyes:
No problem, it’ll cost £100, just scan the cash and email it over! ;)

I got a plate without the V5 from Halfords. I had my van from new, but SMG Tonbridge were the registered keeper for the first three months. I had a letter from them with information to this effect which Halfords accepted in lieu of the V5.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
Hmmm....it was Halfords who said I needed the V5. I might try again this morning, before heading off.

Wouldn't be surprised if asking a different person produces a different result !!

Its law you need a V5 to get a number plate made up for a official supplier like Halfords etc. The only other way is some smaller motor factor will make them up if you say its a show plate only or as above order from Ebay.

Unfortunately for you any plates on Ebay and classed as show plates will not be legal. Legal plates must bear the BSAU stamp. Tecnically you could be prosecuted if you display one without this . A large majority ride round with custom plates with illegal spacing and never get prosecuted. Its a decision only you can make.

I got my trailer plates online. Great company, delivered overnight from Ireland, 24 hour service. Met all statutory standards.

I got my trailer plates online. Great company, delivered overnight from Ireland, 24 hour service. Met all statutory standards.
Can you remember who?

Figure I may as well order online today, giving them the weekend to sort and send it. They'll probably arrive before my V5...

Can you remember who?

Figure I may as well order online today, giving them the weekend to sort and send it. They'll probably arrive before my V5...

To be honest there are loads offering a next working day service but as I remember it was these. I was in a bit of a hurry as I was picking a caravan up and had forgotten the spare number plate until a couple of days before collection:veryfunny

http://www.platesforcars.co.uk/desi...IWuGy6LsnCXdHHooWHFVTvcw_JhOVKLhoC738QAvD_BwE

Unfortunately for you any plates on Ebay and classed as show plates will not be legal. Legal plates must bear the BSAU stamp. Tecnically you could be prosecuted if you display one without this . A large majority ride round with custom plates with illegal spacing and never get prosecuted. Its a decision only you can make.
I got my bike rack plate of eBay - fully legal with correct BSAU stamp. Oddly the stamp was optional when speccing the type of plate

It's probably a remote chance of being stopped for a plate which is not to current requirements / font etc; but if the worst were to happen and the legal investigations reveal a plate not to current and required standards then the problems starts - just my view

Saw one of those TV Police programmes once where the Traffic Cop issued a ticket for not having a number plate on the trailer. Police response to Drivers excuses as to not having one was that "you could have taken the one of the vehicle and fitted that"

All about NPR cameras being able to read them.

Back