Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rust on brand new T6.1 Ocean...

B

bbqshrew

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Evening all,

Not sure if anyone else had had this issue, but the sideboard / runners on my brand new 6.1 Ocean have already rusted. No doubt stones flying up and chipping the paintwork off the runners, but I'm hoping this is covered under warranty.

has anyone had this before? Fitting mudflaps would prevent this, no doubt, but a bit late to realise that..!

Cheers,
Mike

1632244232329.jpeg
1632244262945.jpeg
1632244290527.jpeg

Thats why I went with the stainless steel versions.

How new? because that looks well estabilished. Had something similar on my Defender when it was 6 years old , but more extensive, and swapped them out

We had stainless on van one - 5 years no issues. van two black ones 18 months in peeling paint - I give them a yearly Hammerite paint now. Would never buy black ones again. If going back to VW and wananty approved I would change for stainless ones

What is the purpose of them?

To make it look nice and shiny. Didnt pay the VW price. Mine were a little over £100 and been on now 4yrs. Bit of pain with a lowered van and levelling blocks (no longer fit under)

The genuine VW side bars (even the black painted ones) are made of stainless steel and don’t rust, at least that was the case for VW genuine T5/ T5.1 side bars.

Given that the sidebars in the photo are rusting, I’m sorry to say that don’t think they can be genuine VW and so wouldn’t be covered under VW warranty.

Edit: unless VW have stopped using stainless steel for their sidebars

Last edited:

Body protection warranty​

All current Volkswagen vehicles are fully protected during manufacture against through corrosion for 12 years from the date of first registration.

The only preconditions are:

• The perforation must not have been caused originally by damage, neglect, insufficient care or maintenance or by external corrosion (rusting).

The defect must be reported to a member of the Volkswagen Authorised Repairer network as soon as it is discovered and within the warranty period.

• A member of the Volkswagen Authorised Repairer network must be advised about any rusting as soon as it is found.

• All body repairs will be carried out promptly in accordance with the manufacturer's specification and procedures, using only approved parts and materials, so the original level of anti-corrosion protection is maintained.

Thanks for all your replies! It's an ex-demo vehicle, 70 plate, less than 2k miles. The only modification I was made aware of was that the dealer (SMG Tonbridge) sprayed the bike rack black. I've emailed them tonight to see what they say, but must admit I didn't know they were (or weren't) a standard fit on a Cali Ocean, or something the dealer had opted to include as an extra in their build, but I'd be amazed if they were fitting non-VW parts and selling them on. Not what you expect from a VW 'demo vehicle'.

The dealer has been great to date, so fingers crossed that continues. Will update when I know more. Thank you all once again!

Mudflaps would prevent this, but will cause your wings to rust. That is why you hardly see any on cars these days. Only the 4x4 etc still have them, because the mud won't reach up to your windows then.
Fitting mudflaps would prevent this,!

I have the Black painted stainless version also, but you can add some Clear Helicopter/Bike tape to stop the stone chips.

Evening all,

Not sure if anyone else had had this issue, but the sideboard / runners on my brand new 6.1 Ocean have already rusted. No doubt stones flying up and chipping the paintwork off the runners, but I'm hoping this is covered under warranty.

has anyone had this before? Fitting mudflaps would prevent this, no doubt, but a bit late to realise that..!

Cheers,
Mike

View attachment 84693
View attachment 84694
View attachment 84695
Short of swapping them out, a permanent solution is to sand back past the bubbled/separated paint surface and give two coats of POR15 rust paint, and then topcoat with a good quality acrylic. POR/Paint Over Rust is an incredible coating that links into the rust itself, sealing out moisture and further corrosion. I've used it on frames, control arms - everywhere road debris chips off regular paints. Topcoat with regular paint to prevent UV breakdown.

Evening all,

Cheers,
Mike

View attachment 84693
View attachment 84694
View attachment 84695
Those side bars are notorious for rusting

Hi, after reading your post and seeing the photos I had to give my side bars a good inspection as they have been on my T6 Ocean since I picked it up new in Dec 2019 and we’re fitted by VW Liverpool. After comparing your photos with mine I think that your side bars are in my opinion not genuine and have come off an older vehicle. I have had mud flaps fitted since new also and there is no sign of wear or damage to my side bars. We use our Cali all year and it is not garaged. Hope the dealer fits a replacement pair for you.

750093AE-9832-45CD-9CD7-D4CD1FB60086.jpeg

DD9F887E-31A5-4A76-8C1F-0FAEB2DE4873.jpeg

That’s one of the reasons I bought the stainless steel ones. Even though the black would have looked really nice.

Hi, after reading your post and seeing the photos I had to give my side bars a good inspection as they have been on my T6 Ocean since I picked it up new in Dec 2019 and we’re fitted by VW Liverpool. After comparing your photos with mine I think that your side bars are in my opinion not genuine and have come off an older vehicle. I have had mud flaps fitted since new also and there is no sign of wear or damage to my side bars. We use our Cali all year and it is not garaged. Hope the dealer fits a replacement pair for you.

View attachment 84963

View attachment 84964
Wow, that's looks like a very clean and well looked after Cali, con grats.

I have to say that corrosion looks excessive for the year and only 2k. I had the VW black versions on a new VW T5 conversion which I had for 3 yrs and approx 25k. When I sold it they were hardly touched and I gave them no extra attention apart from occasional jet wash. Good luck with SMG.

Mudflaps would prevent this, but will cause your wings to rust. That is why you hardly see any on cars these days. Only the 4x4 etc still have them, because the mud won't reach up to your windows then.
As the Cali VW mudflaps are fitted some distance from the arches, front & rear, I can't see why they would cause the wings to rust.
The non VW type now available may cause this issue.

Sorry for the delay in posting an update. VW replaced both runners when the van went in for a safety recall, no dramas at all and new ones seem to be holding up fine after c.1000 miles or so. Thanks for all the help, tips and advice!

Sorry for the delay in posting an update. VW replaced both runners when the van went in for a safety recall, no dramas at all and new ones seem to be holding up fine after c.1000 miles or so. Thanks for all the help, tips and advice!
What was the safety recall?

What was the safety recall?
The Bodean cable locking mechanisms on the door - they could apparently freeze and then open if driving in temps lower than 0 degrees celsius. There's a few comments elsewhere on the forum about it, I believe.

Back