Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rust Protection: Drilling plan for treating internal areas doors etc

Olly

Olly

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi, we are looking to rust treat our T5 ourselves. Have access to a hoist and all spray equipment. To access internal areas such as door cavaties etc I know that the professionals drill access holes, spray and then plug with a rubber grommet. Does anyone know if a plan exists showing where best to drill etc? Best regards Shaun

Hi, we are looking to rust treat our T5 ourselves. Have access to a hoist and all spray equipment. To access internal areas such as door cavaties etc I know that the professionals drill access holes, spray and then plug with a rubber grommet. Does anyone know if a plan exists showing where best to drill etc? Best regards Shaun
Interesting, drilling holes in a galvanised body that would compromise the zinc layer at every new hole.

There should be no need to drill anywhere, you will find access to almost all hollow sections via existing plastic plugs. Doors and side panels can be accessed by some dismantling. I would suggest that you have a look beneath the plastic covers under the chassis to see what I mean. Notice that the sills are double sections with access between if look carefully.
I've found my way around these whilst running cables etc. in my self-builds.
There is already a reasonable amount of wax already under there.

Rod

There should be no need to drill anywhere, you will find access to almost all hollow sections via existing plastic plugs. Doors and side panels can be accessed by some dismantling. I would suggest that you have a look beneath the plastic covers under the chassis to see what I mean. Notice that the sills are double sections with access between if look carefully.
I've found my way around these whilst running cables etc. in my self-builds.
There is already a reasonable amount of wax already under there.

Rod
I will get camper up on a hoist and look - I would rather not drill so glad to hear there are many access points. Cheers

Back