Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

RYOBI - Cordless Tools

Calimili

Calimili

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
I'm in the market for an electric screwdriver. As usual I get carried away and while I'm at it I might buy a bigger drill . Every now an then I bump into people who like and own the Ryobi brand. Also in this forum.

I'd like to stick to one brand for several tools as I can then use the same battery+charger for all of them. Using these tools only occasionally, It would be nice to get the battery to work as often as possible, rather than sitting idle, even if under trickle charge for months.
I also appreciate that Ryobi is not at the quality level of Makita, DeWalt etc , but it is also well above the cheap stuff that Lidl offers in their Parkside line of DIY tools.
Like I said I would be using these tools every now and then, not 8 hours a day /5 days a week.
I believe Ryobi is a quality item, in terms of the quality of the job their tools perform, with the limitations of not being marketed at the professional carpenter.

On my wish list would be a simple drill/driver, the EZ Clean pressure washer to wash bikes and the Cali, possibly a tyre inflator. I may add a Circular saw and a jig saw further on.

I'd like to hear from the hobby DYIers Ryobi owners here please, how happy are you with your Ryobi system. What tools do you have and would you buy them again ?

I have replaced all my Ryobi stuff with makita.
I hade the plastic gears strip on 2x SDS drills and the tyre pump. The circular saw fell to bits. The only bits I’ve kept are the tile cutter and some work lights. (edited just to add, Ive still got the hedge cutter & strimmer) . I have also had. : impact driver, grinder, jig saw, sander, right angle drill, plane, sabre saw etc.

Buying carefully on ebay some of the deals on makita make them just as cheap as Ryobi. I am not aware of a pressure washer but the new tyre pump is a lovely item and is far far quicker and quieter than the ryobi equivalent.

Best to buy a drill / driver kit with batteries as a starter and bare tools after that. The cheaper makita tools have traditional motors with brushes & are fine for diy work or occasionally used tools, & still have the decent build quality elsewhere.

Last edited:
Also worth checking Erbauer. Their battery powered garden tools (chainsaw, hedge pole, strimmer etc) are also great and use same batteries as the drill etc.

I'm in the market for an electric screwdriver. As usual I get carried away and while I'm at it I might buy a bigger drill . Every now an then I bump into people who like and own the Ryobi brand. Also in this forum.

I'd like to stick to one brand for several tools as I can then use the same battery+charger for all of them. Using these tools only occasionally, It would be nice to get the battery to work as often as possible, rather than sitting idle, even if under trickle charge for months.
I also appreciate that Ryobi is not at the quality level of Makita, DeWalt etc , but it is also well above the cheap stuff that Lidl offers in their Parkside line of DIY tools.
Like I said I would be using these tools every now and then, not 8 hours a day /5 days a week.
I believe Ryobi is a quality item, in terms of the quality of the job their tools perform, with the limitations of not being marketed at the professional carpenter.

On my wish list would be a simple drill/driver, the EZ Clean pressure washer to wash bikes and the Cali, possibly a tyre inflator. I may add a Circular saw and a jig saw further on.

I'd like to hear from the hobby DYIers Ryobi owners here please, how happy are you with your Ryobi system. What tools do you have and would you buy them again ?
I have the small 33cm lawn mower, a strimmer and hedge clippers that I use at my allotments. Have another strimmer that I use at home. Happy with them all however the switch on the lawnmower failed recently after only two years. Repaired it myself and have a new switch on order.

@Calimili what sort of price difference is there where you are? most of the Makita stuff in the uk is not vastly different in price to Ryobi - may be £10 - £20 difference on the tools & the batteries are about the same.
The only really expensive stuff is the absolute top of the range things that have brushless motors & use two of the 18v batteries to make them 36v tools.

Try Festool, then you never look back :) Ryobi is cheaper stuff like Black and decker and has imho bad quality.
The only cheap brand I sometimes buy is Bosch.

Try Festool, then you never look back :) Ryobi is cheaper stuff like Black and decker and has imho bad quality.
The only cheap brand I sometimes buy is Bosch.
But for the price of buying Festool stuff, you could get a tradesman to come and do the work for you.

Makita 18v every day of the week for a middle range setup. The choice of accessories is huge and the batteries are fantastic. I have everything from DAB radio, drills, drivers etc to vacuum cleaner, hedge trimmer, chainsaw etc. Never had an issue.
Most Ryobi people i know end up with a box full of duff batteries.

@Calimili what sort of price difference is there where you are? most of the Makita stuff in the uk is not vastly different in price to Ryobi - may be £10 - £20 difference on the tools & the batteries are about the same.
The only really expensive stuff is the absolute top of the range things that have brushless motors & use two of the 18v batteries to make them 36v tools.
Brushless motor Drill for Ryobi starts at the 100-120€ range. I can find Makitas non brushless from 80€ upwards. The Drill/driver market is super competitive and if I was looking only at a drill/driver, the Makita would be a no-brainer obvious choice.
But for example they don't do a 18V portable pressure washer. If I want to extend the range of tools then it gets expensive, only drills are cheap from Makita.

Makita - 270 tools with the same battery, even a coffee machine.
I would put Makita at no.3
I would put Ryobi in the recycling bin.

Festool and Mafell are the best imho, but not for the DIY er.

I've got quite a few Ryobi tools gathered over the years. All bought at discount or as new condition.
Duplicated between UK & France in some cases.
For DIY use I've not had a failure as yet.
For big drilling jobs I use mains powered SDS drills rather than battery powered ones.

3 drills (different models), 1 90o drill, 1 hedge trimmer, 1 blower, 1 Impact wrench, 1 sander, 2 torches.

Started using Ryobi about 12 years ago when there weren't many battery tools available.
If starting now would probably go for a more 'rugged' Brand.

Pretty sure that I've come across (Chinese) Cloned versions of Ryobi tools which are poor quality.

For an electric screwdriver or drill/driver I would go for 12vnas 18v is too heavy
I have many Ryobi tools collected over the past 15 years. They won't stand up to pro use, but they are generally good if bought on an offer or discounted