• Start date
H

Hotel California

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
It's not realy a accesories but would not place it under technical advice ....
The toolbox/jack , that sits under the rear bench in my SE (don't know in beach models) ,
It is a big box with nothing in it ( standard ) lots of foam , i carry a xtra toolbag in the booth .
Anyone ever thought of modifiing the standard box so it can fit more tools?
Or maybe tips of an replacement box that fits...?
Any advice is welcome , how do you guys carry some xtra tools along?

Same as you, in a bag in the boot. Main thing is an extendable wrench for undoing the wheelnuts, the standard one is useless. I've given up carrying loads of tools as things are too complex to mend at the roadside nowadays.

Never thought of taking the box out and putting the tools in a bag, does it give much useful space?

No, I've still left the standard box in place but just carry the extendable wrench and a few other tools in a bag in the boot.

Was thinking to remove all the foam so it leaves a larger box so i can fit some xtra things in it like start cables , screwdrivers , wrench set , ...

I suppose you could use a hot poker to form the shapes for the extra tools; although as Briwy says, they are too complicated to fix these days. Might be better finding a place for a laptop and OBD interface to fix the van if it goes wrong :confused:

I've taken the SE toolbox out of its normal storage place. I have 2 large plastic boxes that just fit under the metal bed board/parcel shelf and slide the SE toolbox into the gap between them with my own toolkit/toolbox. My SE box has all the removable towbar fittings etc and I couldn't be bothered taking everything out of the boot to get the SE kit out to fit the towbar.

Must go and have a recce at this toolbox when it gets light!

Also with the toolbox removed my boxes go about 6 " further in towards the seat so I can keep my electric tyre pump for the van and bicycle tyres easy to hand and plug into the rear 12v socket easily.

So nobody actualy modified that plump plastic case...
Maybe one of my next things to do , gonna give it a good thought.

The extra toolbox space is to accommodate the detachable vw towbar - if you have it

The extra toolbox space is to accommodate the detachable vw towbar - if you have it
Then the toolbox must have a diffrent lay out , in mine you do not can put anything xtra in than the jack , wheelnutloosner , little metal thing to take wheeldops of , not much more doh...