Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sales of VW California increased by 621% compared to same time last year

The trouble is that we will /should be out of lockdown by the time the vans ordered in Jan 2021 are actually delivered. Be interesting to see what happens to the 2nd hand market after summer 2022 if any new Owners decide to offload their vans.

Interesting but not a huge surprise. Nobody was buying anything in Q1 2020. What would be more interesting is to compare the % of VWFS agreements settled within 30 days of inception. This would weed out the cash buyers using VWFS for freebies when they have good quarterly program offers.

I wonder how many of these will end up in the classifieds come the autumn time?

I wonder how many of these will end up in the classifieds come the autumn time?
Personally @blondebier I don’t reckon there will be a big ‘sell off’. I think the Covid effect will endure for a good few years. I’ve heard several people suggest that they’re in no hurry to jump on an aircraft any time soon. Lots of people have ‘reconnected’ with nature during the pandemic and embraced walking and the great outdoors. Loads to explore in the UK and once EU travel restrictions are eased the world is their lobster :)

Lots of newbies who have never camped, but think dropping £65k on a Campervan will somehow make the camping dream come true.

Once they’ve experienced a wet soggy field, shared showers at a busy campsite and another night doing the Campervan shuffle with two kids and a puppy. The van will be on its way to a new home...
The market will be saturated come February.

BigSouls got his eyes on a cheap, barely used 4motion in Indium Grey or Onyx White :Grin

Lots of newbies who have never camped, but think dropping £65k on a Campervan will somehow make the camping dream come true.

Once they’ve experienced a wet soggy field, shared showers at a busy campsite and another night doing the Campervan shuffle with two kids and a puppy. The van will be on its way to a new home...
The market will be saturated come February.

BigSouls got his eyes on a cheap, barely used 4motion in Indium Grey or Onyx White :Grin
I think so too. It’s going to be a bit of shock for some of them when they realise it’s not like a hotel room.

What would be more interesting is to compare the % of VWFS agreements settled within 30 days of inception. This would weed out the cash buyers using VWFS for freebies when they have good quarterly program offers.
This is what I did but I suspect many have gone the PCP route dazzelled but the dealers promiss of wonderful residuals which may not be there is 3 years time. The California may have out performed their expected balloon payments during these exceptional times but they don't often get their predicted values far wrong.
Its a bubble, watch it pop!

I think so too. It’s going to be a bit of shock for some of them when they realise it’s not like a hotel room.
Possibly, but I think most of those looking for a mobile hotel room would have bought a great white or a caravan rather than a California. Cheaper, more spacious and equipped with more creature comforts.

Possibly, but I think most of those looking for a mobile hotel room would have bought a great white or a caravan rather than a California. Cheaper, more spacious and equipped with more creature comforts.
I think it takes people about three attempts before they find the right van for them. It’s hard to know what you want until you have tried one and found out it’s not for you.
I used to have a big Hymer Starline, which was luxurious but horrendous to take or park anywhere. Only experience teaches you what it’s really like.

Its a bubble, watch it pop!
One thing is for certain, those residuals won't hold up with that much supply.

In the past the California was a pretty rare vehicle to come by on the used market. All pretty much made to order, so demand kept prices firm.

If there are now hundreds of additional units being brought in to circulation that'll soon filter through, buyers will have options to choose from and prices will return to sensible levels.

3 year old vans selling for more than new? It was good while it lasted, but I think that ship had sailed.

Not aware of the factory capacity having increased, wait times are always fairly long (my 2016 order took 6mths + to arrive); actually the opposite given spares shortages. Maybe a different use of finance due to low interest rates, incentives etc., but there hasn’t been a 6 fold increase in supply. So same number of Cali’s on the road (or available for sale) just the order books full for longer. I have no doubt the inflated prices will come back down to more sensible levels, and there may be a short period of over adjustment if a glut hits the nearly new market, but normal supply/demand levels will re-establish soon enough.

Back