Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

San Bernardino or Gotthard?

cleve

cleve

VIP Member
I've read so many threads about which route to take from Switzerland to Italy, can anyone help us decide on our route for the end of July?

We'll be leaving Freiburg in Germany on a Thursday morning and had planned to drive straight to Lake Maggiore. I'm not too keen to take one of the passes as I'm such a nervous passenger and I think we will be glad to just get to our final destination but am deliberating whether we should take the Gotthard tunnel and risk the delays or the longer San Bernardino. Any thoughts on a Thursday at the end of July? We wondered if we just don't make a lunch stop that day and plan to sit and munch our lunch for a couple of hours in the traffic we might be ok. Anyone feel it is worth looking at San Bernardino instead?

We would be returning on a Wednesday in August so hoping we will be ok on our return.

If you have a decent SatNav with Traffic Updates and re-routing then that will take you the quickest way. Never failed me yet. Just set it up properly.
I'll be using this method last Wednesday in July on my way to Florence.:thumb

I read somewhere recently that the border checkpoint was going to be reinstated over st Bernard for security reasons, that could slow things down a bit.

I read somewhere recently that the border checkpoint was going to be reinstated over st Bernard for security reasons, that could slow things down a bit.
More likely to be traffic entering Switzerland rather than leaving.

Hi,
both tunnel are boring! Gotthard it's a 19 km tunnel, San Bernardino i think 6 or 7 ..
If you have time you can drive up the pass! They're great, nice landscade, nice lookout and nice driving!

I have done both, pass and tunnel because I live near them :)

St Bernard is on the border between Italy and Austria, San Bernardino it's in Switzerland ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Loz
take the pass - many amazing lunch spots - tunnels are for losers

take the pass - many amazing lunch spots - tunnels are for losers
Them
Then I guess I'm a loser. Cannot be bothered following someone up the pass who's looking for "the" amazing lunch spot when I have an appointment to keep in the Italian Lakes with a cold Peroni and my son and his soon to be wife. On this occasion I'll follow Sally SatNav.;)

Cheaper via Gottardo tunnel and probably quicker. Motorway vignette 40CHF/35euro includes tunnel. Gr S Bernardino is an extra charge and valleys are not attractive with much industrial scenery.
Good travel.

Cheaper via Gottardo tunnel and probably quicker. Motorway vignette 40CHF/35euro includes tunnel. Gr S Bernardino is an extra charge and valleys are not attractive with much industrial scenery.
Good travel.
Both the Gotthard and the San Bernardino tunnels are free to use. There is no extra charge other than the vignette that you need on all Swiss motorways. I think you are thinking of the Great St. Bernard Tunnel between Valais and Italy. I know, similar names, but in totally different corners of Switzerland!

Back to the OP, Thursday should be OK for traffic on the Gotthard. Possibly a small wait, but not too long. Its motorway all the way to the tunnel entrance and then it reduces to a single lane just for the tunnel. Skip your lunch break and then eat while in the queue or stop at the services that are just after the tunnel on the south side.

San Bernardino is single lane for much of the drive in both the valleys north and south of the tunnel and so it's not only longer, but slower, especially if you get stuck behind a truck. On the other hand, when there is a big queue at the Gotthard, it can be quicker.

Personally I think that the San Bernardino is more beautiful, but when diving you don't really get to enjoy it!