Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

San Sebastián and Picos de Europa

J

Josie

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi everyone. We are planning to visit San Sebastan and Picos de Europa in northern Spain this summer. I have done a bit of research on places to see etc but any first hand recommendations of campsites and places to visit would be grately appreciated - including things to keep a 16 year old boy and 12 year old girl entertained!

Hi everyone. We are planning to visit San Sebastan and Picos de Europa in northern Spain this summer. I have done a bit of research on places to see etc but any first hand recommendations of campsites and places to visit would be grately appreciated - including things to keep a 16 year old boy and 12 year old girl entertained!

IMG_2313.jpg
IMG_2317.jpg
IMG_2292.jpg Right at the foot of the Picos: Val de San Vicente, limit between Asturias and Cantabria. Blue Lagoon experience.:embarrased

Last edited:
I went to the Picos de Europa in 2018, it is very picturesque, the roads can be narrow and twisty in the mountains but the views are stunning, loads of scenery, loads of views, fairly cheap to eat out.

FYI, to keep the kids entertained I noticed that there is an outdoor adventure centre at Arriondas for river rafting / Kayaking / go ape type stuff.

A few places that I thought were special (see pictures)
1. North Coast, View point, 2 miles east of Llanes (Drone shot)
2. Scenery around Riano (we watched the Spanish cycle Vuelta 2018 there)
3. Walking part of the the Cares Gorge from Cain (Walking north, good gravel path carved out of the rock but some big drops after the first mile or so) The Drive to Cain is entertaining!
4. The Fuente de Cantabria Cable Car, west of Potes.

Hope this helps.:thumb

DJI_0071.jpeg DJI_0077.jpeg DSCN4555.jpeg DSCN4536.jpeg DSCN4337.jpeg DSCN4342.jpeg DSCN4362.jpeg DSCN4407.jpg DSCN4300.jpg DSCN4288.jpg

Agree with above. The cable car takes you up to some stunning scenery. There is a nice campsite at Fuentes De about 10mins walk from the cable car, camping El Redondo.
Watch out for wild goats in the Cares Gorge. One charged me and bruised my shoulder when I refused to give it a Mars Bar.
No wild camping, the police patrol and will move you on. San Sebastian is a beautiful city. Can't help with sites though as we stay there with friends.

Thanks everyone for the great info. It does look beautiful there!

Regarding the 'entertaining' drive to Cain - is it advisable? I really want to walk from that end of the gorge but my map does describe the road as 'bad'. Am I going to be too traumatised by the drive to enjoy the walk?!

We started at the other end so don't know about the road but there were ordinary vehicles there so it can't be that bad.
Just found some pictures.
Fuente de campsite and in the mountains from the cable car.
P1170417.JPG

P1170420.JPG
P1170460.JPG
If you plan walking in the mountaisn make suer you have the right gear. This was end of May and the path up to the top refuge where we wanted to go was still blocked with deep snow.

Cain and the gorge
P1170714.JPG
P1170643.JPG

Last edited:
We went about 20 years ago, in the summer..it rained almost continuously,every single day...it's the west coast of Europe!

Been there in the spring (quiet) and in the summer (busy) and I must say the spring visit was much easier to find campsites and was not as hectic as the summer. The north is picturesque and a different animal to the south and the people were lovely and welcoming. I totally agree with all the above but you will need to book campsites.
Great place though. But it was just me and Mrs Aztec no children to worry about

We went about 20 years ago, in the summer..it rained almost continuously,every single day...it's the west coast of Europe!
Two autumn nights in near continuous drizzle was sufficient for us in the Picos.

Clearly a stunning area, much unspoiled, but you may need to be flexible with your plans as the weather can be miserable.

IMG_0085.JPG

We started at the other end so don't know about the road but there were ordinary vehicles there so it can't be that bad.
Just found some pictures.
Fuente de campsite and in the mountains from the cable car.
View attachment 41759

View attachment 41760
View attachment 41761
If you plan walking in the mountaisn make suer you have the right gear. This was end of May and the path up to the top refuge where we wanted to go was still blocked with deep snow.

Cain and the gorge
View attachment 41763
View attachment 41762
I love Fuente de, I wish we had stayed their longer. It my favourite ever site.

Thanks everyone for the great info. It does look beautiful there!

Regarding the 'entertaining' drive to Cain - is it advisable? I really want to walk from that end of the gorge but my map does describe the road as 'bad'. Am I going to be too traumatised by the drive to enjoy the walk?!

The road for the last few miles is narrow, twisting and steep in a couple of places but exceptionally pretty as it enters the Gorge., clinging to the cliffs. The road surface is good tarmac so you shouldn't have any problems in a Cali just allow plenty of time because your average speed will be low. See the Dash Cam shot:

Screenshot 2019-02-27 at 10.30.49.png

I went to the Picos de Europa in 2018, it is very picturesque, the roads can be narrow and twisty in the mountains but the views are stunning, loads of scenery, loads of views, fairly cheap to eat out.

FYI, to keep the kids entertained I noticed that there is an outdoor adventure centre at Arriondas for river rafting / Kayaking / go ape type stuff.

A few places that I thought were special (see pictures)
1. North Coast, View point, 2 miles east of Llanes (Drone shot)
2. Scenery around Riano (we watched the Spanish cycle Vuelta 2018 there)
3. Walking part of the the Cares Gorge from Cain (Walking north, good gravel path carved out of the rock but some big drops after the first mile or so) The Drive to Cain is entertaining!
4. The Fuente de Cantabria Cable Car, west of Potes.

Hope this helps.:thumb

View attachment 41728 View attachment 41729 View attachment 41730 View attachment 41738 View attachment 41739 View attachment 41740 View attachment 41741 View attachment 41742 View attachment 41743 View attachment 41744
If you get the Fuente De cable car to the top, theirs a fabulous walk down again, takes around six hours to complete, you go from freezing temperatures at the top to +30 at the bottom. It’s pretty deserted country, not too many people do this walk, but obviously it’s all down hill!
Also if you want to avoid the Picos crowds, have a look at the Somiedo region, a little known tourist destination, but very beautiful - this is Spanish brown bear county, should keep the children entertained!!
Incidentally when you’re walking in the Picos don’t be tempted to approach those dogs guarding sheep, they’re not fluffy and friendly they’re trained to attack predators!!

There are some wild camping spots on park4night. This is the 4th one in a row as we head along the north coast. This is in the Picos last night, small road up from Ceneya.

20190302_095203.jpg

If you want to spend some time in San Sebastian itself Camping Bungalows Igueldo San Sebastián is a good site. Bus stops outside every half hour or so, takes you to the beach, city etc. Saves taking the van and parking it. Has a small pool, but perfectly adequate for cooling off. Most pitches fairly flat. Clean. An easy base for a city break.

Back