Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Saving money on travel

John

John

VIP Member
Original post v3rn - Nic & Helena

So what are your tips on making travel cheaper?

Here is a first from us:

We both have Tesco Finance visa cards. We get Tesco points on every purchase we make, not just those in Tesco. Every quarter we get Tesco vouchers back.

Rather than spending the vouchers in store for their face value we convert them to Tesco Deals. For EuroTunnel, P&O, White Ferries and more you get 3x the face value.

This year alone we've had 3 return EuroTunnel crossings, 1 trip to the Isle of White and a trip to Ireland and the total costs to us, £23. Obviously we've traded in vouchers to pay the rest but it was free money (we pay off the cards every month so there is no charge).

If you're not getting paid to use your visa card I suggest you start now. For those of you with kids you can get cheap access to theme parks, cheap meals, EuroDisney...

I don't work for Tesco, I just think getting paid to go on holiday is brilliant.

Original Blakey

ACSI card. This little beauty gets you access to come fantastic campsites all across Europe for £11, £13 or £15 per night, fixed rates - regardless of the cost of camping there usually. You can only use it off season (Sept to June usually) and the book costs about £12 and is valid for a year, but you can make the money back in one night. If you are touring Europe it's a massive cost saver!

Original post Hubert

I second Blakey's comment re the ACSI card.

Essential for anyone travelling to Europe, looks like the rates have increased for 2012 to 12, 14 & 16 euros per night after being the same for the last two years. Still great value considering the standard of some of the sites listed.

Just pre-ordered my 2012 copy, due out December, to ensure I get one.

If anyone interested you can pre-order from Vicarious Books

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/ACSI-UK-CampingCard/

There's also a promo code to get £1 off, total cost including postage will be £13.

Usual comments apply- I have no connection with Vicarious Books

Original post Hubert

Giving the promo code might help

pre-order-acsi

Give it a try !

Original post BerndRos

The one way to really save is to free camp as often as you can, taking into account ALL the costs of travel ( with the exception of the vehicle ) I have worked out that by free camping a fair bit you can half the costs.

Plus factors are that instead of viewing a campsite as you wake up and feeling that maybe you should stay and get your monies worth, by free camping you are seeing the locality your in as it happens....

Example, last night I stayed at Bucharest's only campsite and got charged £17......to get into the city from there would be time consuming, involve public transport, and with the eves getting darker, likely back to camp early.

So a quick look at internet for info, found details of a daytime attended car park at £5 for the day, also asked and ok to sleep the night for free, is right next to Hilton Hotel, Government Buildings, Red Bull Exhibition, ALL with security guards. So have set the Cali up, screens in place, seat swiveled, will stay here 3 nights and explore at leisure, knowing that security is not a problem.

as you share Tesco Finance Visa Cards so i asked a question to some one which was relevant to this.
Question: Why do I have to register my card for MasterCard SecureCode/Verified by Visa?

And he answer this so some one is there who confirm me this is right...
Tesco Credit Cards is concerned about the online security of its customers and as a result wants to ensure we’re doing all we can to offer you as much protection as possible.

In future your debit card issuer may ask you to register the debit card you use to pay your Tesco Credit Card balance with either "MasterCard®SecureCode™" or "Verified by Visa" (depending on card type).

This is a free service that will allow you to set-up a password that will help protect your debit card against unauthorised use through the internet when using it for online purchases with many other retailers or service providers.

Registration will also ensure you can keep using this debit card to make payments to your Tesco Credit Card account. If you’ve not already registered your debit card for one of these services, it’s really easy to sign-up. When making a payment to your Tesco Credit Card account, you’ll be prompted to amend your debit card details. Just update your debit card type and then follow the steps to finish registering your debit card for increased fraud protection.

Back