Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scotland nee France

C

Canyon

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Seems our French adventure next week is postponed and whilst I love the idea of heading to Germany/Swiss instead I just can’t bring myself to risk my kids just coz of my itchy feet.
So, we now have 9 days and thinking of

heading full on in to the land of the midges.

We were thinking of doing a loop up West Coast and looping through Cairngorms then down through Deeside (as have friends there)

Any recommendations or mustn’t miss stops? (we have 4 & 7yr old and a dog)

Thanks loads

We had a great time with my two children aged 10 and 8 at Kilchoan, Arnamurchan. Campsite by the beach so lots to keep everyone entertained. Saana bay nearby with the most amazing white sands. We stayed there for 10 days.

As you are allowed to cross France without having to quarantine, as long as you don’t mix with the locals I’d head to Switzerland .

See “private vehicles” on this page:

This seems a perfect use case for a California!

Last edited:
You just need to be aware that there are many more, like yourselves, heading there and I've seen numerous reports of queues around the favourite areas, Scots doing staycation but schools now back there.

I wouldn’t worry so much about Covid, I’d worry more about no travel insurance while passing through France. A car accident ( unlikely I know) but medical fees repatriation could cost many thousands I’d brave the midges

As you are allowed to cross France without having to quarantine, as long as you don’t mix with the locals I’d head to Switzerland .

See “private vehicles” on this page:

This seems a perfect use case for a California!

Yeah it is an option. However, we don’t know if any quarantine rules will come in over next couple weeks and kids due back at school first week Sept, missus is keen that they don’t miss any finger painting lest it impacts their chances of getting in to Oxford .

Also shed loads of rain scheduled for next couple weeks, so driving long distance to enjoy the rain with potential COVID uncertainty makes staying UK a slightlymore Comfortable option (add in insurance impact etc too)

I am however pining to get to Interlaken

Seems our French adventure next week is postponed and whilst I love the idea of heading to Germany/Swiss instead I just can’t bring myself to risk my kids just coz of my itchy feet.
So, we now have 9 days and thinking of

heading full on in to the land of the midges.

We were thinking of doing a loop up West Coast and looping through Cairngorms then down through Deeside (as have friends there)

Any recommendations or mustn’t miss stops? (we have 4 & 7yr old and a dog)

Thanks loads
West coast of Scotland is a firm favourite of ours been hundreds of times but given the numbers currently up you may be better inland? Highly recommend The Rothiemarchus Estate Aviemore and Loch Morlich. Great camping at Morlich but unfortunately closed this year. Lots to do around Dunkeld, Aberfeldy, Pitlochry. Tentsmuir beach/forest is fabulous. You’ll have a great time what ever you decide.

Thanks loads for this. Are the numbers as high now that Scottish schools are back?

What about touring Wales, I heard it's a lot quieter than Scotland and the Lake District. ??

would definitely advise booking ahead your campsites wherever you go.

We couldn't find a suitable site for a stopover between Lake District and Aberdeen this coming weekend so going directly instead.

Yeah it is an option. However, we don’t know if any quarantine rules will come in over next couple weeks and kids due back at school first week Sept, missus is keen that they don’t miss any finger painting lest it impacts their chances of getting in to Oxford .

Also shed loads of rain scheduled for next couple weeks, so driving long distance to enjoy the rain with potential COVID uncertainty makes staying UK a slightlymore Comfortable option (add in insurance impact etc too)

I am however pining to get to Interlaken
We are currently at a campsite just outside Ullapool, been to Harris now slowly making our way down, next Rosemarkie, then Scone and then down back to England. We have been very lucky with the weather, amazing scenery, been up here before but not to Harris. Will be coming back again, so much to see, stunning scenery. Roads not busy, we booked all our campsites just in case and most we have stopped at have had signs saying fully booked. But they don't feel over filled and the roads certainly not busy. We went to Brienz nr.Interlaken last year (had mixed weather), parts of the scenery around where we have been has reminded us of Austria & Switzerland.

missus is keen that they don’t miss any finger painting lest it impacts their chances of getting in to Oxford .

also I would not worry about repatriation cost from France. Car insurance is still valid even though travel insurance isn’t.
Many many years ago I had a car accident in France - no injuries just damage. I came back by train, the car insurer dealt with the car.

also I would not worry about repatriation cost from France. Car insurance is still valid even though travel insurance isn’t.
Many many years ago I had a car accident in France - no injuries just damage. I came back by train, the car insurer dealt with the car.

It's important though to note that repatriation of you (not your car) is likely to be an issue if your insurance refuses to cover you because of the FCO travel advice.

If you have a serious accident or illness while away and wish to be returned to UK for convalescence (say, after treatment on the continent under EHIC cover) then you may need medically-supervised travel arrangements which won;t be cheap - certainly will run into thousands, possibly not tens of thousands unless you also needed ambulance transit back home.

If you had recovered sufficiently on discharge from hospital to just travel home in your Cali with your spouse driving you, that wouldn't of course be a problem.

Most people would want to know they had travel insurance to cover these and other incidental expenses, although you could take the risk if you feel you could self-cover the worst-case costs.

Of course car insurance is still valid, it’s travel insurance we are talking about
Car accident in France, no problem for the car that’s insured, your not!
So scenario, you have an accident no where near you car, you dive into the pool thinking the shallow end is the deep end ( it happens) , you break your neck, long treatment in France , private ambulance to the airport, medical flight home, private ambulance home, E111 may pay for some of this, but not all, your left with a bill for tens of thousands. why do you think every year you see a benefit night somewhere for some idiot that thinks they don’t need travel insurance then has an accident

Of course car insurance is still valid, it’s travel insurance we are talking about
Car accident in France, no problem for the car that’s insured, your not!
So scenario, you have an accident no where near you car, you dive into the pool thinking the shallow end is the deep end ( it happens) , you break your neck, long treatment in France , private ambulance to the airport, medical flight home, private ambulance home, E111 may pay for some of this, but not all, your left with a bill for tens of thousands. why do you think every year you see a benefit night somewhere for some idiot that thinks they don’t need travel insurance then has an accident

Your scenario is not a drive-though-France till you get to a quarantine-exempt country (Switzerland/Germany...). I purchase travel insurance every time I travel to non-eu countries. I have been driving through eu countries for 30 years and EHIC+car insurance suit me and most of the people I know but of course YMMV and you’re welcome to insure against what YOU think are scenarios you may be at risk for.

French medical system pretty good. I'd be confident that I'd get treated as well as in the UK. That's the risk you take if you don't have repatriation insurance. There are many worse places in the world that you could get stuck. E111 /EHIC covers medical expenses. i.e. you don't need to be repatriated immediately. Whether you accept that risk or not is up to you. I would take that risk on a 12hr drive across France etc.

French medical system pretty good. I'd be confident that I'd get treated as well as in the UK. That's the risk you take if you don't have repatriation insurance. There are many worse places in the world that you could get stuck. E111 /EHIC covers medical expenses. i.e. you don't need to be repatriated immediately. Whether you accept that risk or not is up to you. I would take that risk on a 12hr drive across France etc.
EHIC basic is just that it does not cover room etc which can be €1000 or more per night. Dangerous assumption that you are fully covered, just very basic cover.

Seems only Eurotunnel can be used to avoid quarantine with non stop transit through France. All Ferries require quarantine after use.

Your scenario is not a drive-though-France till you get to a quarantine-exempt country (Switzerland/Germany...). I purchase travel insurance every time I travel to non-eu countries. I have been driving through eu countries for 30 years and EHIC+car insurance suit me and most of the people I know but of course YMMV and you’re welcome to insure against what YOU think are scenarios you may be at risk for.

I have also been driving through EU countries for 30 odd years and have taken out travel insurance every time I travel and virtually every sane person I know does the same,luckily I’ve never needed it, so financially your ahead.
I will carry on taking out travel insurance for the scenarios I hope will never happen
insnt that what insurance is there for

I have also been driving through EU countries for 30 odd years and have taken out travel insurance every time I travel and virtually every sane person I know does the same,luckily I’ve never needed it, so financially your ahead.
I will carry on taking out travel insurance for the scenarios I hope will never happen
insnt that what insurance is there for
We have always taken high level insurance cover, thankfully never needed to claim. Yes it’s generally an extortionate price, but the possibility of being involved in a major rta or becoming seriously ill and needing intensive medical care is always there. The it ‘won’t happen to me’ attitude is not one we subscribe to as it could happen to us. As with everything in life it’s about individual choice, our choice is to pay up and travel with peace of mind.

Someone I worked with thought he didn't need insurance for a weekend skiing in the Alps as he already had comprehensive international private health cover & the flights were just cheapo easyJet ones.

When he ended up in hospital he was fine all the costs were covered but once discharged it cost him just over £45k for a private flight home as none of the airlines would take him. It was an insignificant sum to him but would have been a problem to most.

Two quite different questions being debated here:

1. Would you opt not to have travel insurance generally (well at about £100 a year for global annual cover for both of us, that's a no-brainer for me - maybe not for some).

2. Whether, knowing your travel cover will not be valid due to adverse FCO advice, you would still travel without it to a continental country (well I would, in full knowledge of the possible even if unlikely maximum hit, but I fully understand why many people wouldn't want to).

FWIW I did once spend several days in Chambery hospital after a skiing accident and it was a pretty big insurance bill and would have been much bigger still if the airline hadn't then agreed to take me home on a scheduled flight.

Just make your decisions in full knowledge of the worst-case scenarios.