Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scotland north coast 500

Many years ago I ran up the Bealach na Ba and it still retains the grandeur albeit normally running with rain. I just hope that it is not ruined but only a few weeks ago we had the misfortune to be visited by a load of Maclaren sports cars idiots who seemed to think the NC500 was their personal race track. Too many think they should do the route in as little time as possible but now the Dingwall traffic cops are aware. Next year may prove interesting

We've been doing some of the NC500 this week. The weather has been biblical but the scenery has been awesome. We are currently sitting by the Moray Firth in the rain under the awning having a gin and tonic. Perfect. The roads have been very quiet and the campsites all have plenty of room. No need to book. We did Bunree., Applecross and Durness. Bunree was fabulous with heated showers etc, Applecross muddy but nice, Durness wild but brilliant location. Wending our way back southwards tomorrow. We haven't seen anyone wild camping or any racing cars. I guess October must be a good time to come.

We've been doing some of the NC500 this week. The weather has been biblical but the scenery has been awesome. We are currently sitting by the Moray Firth in the rain under the awning having a gin and tonic. Perfect. The roads have been very quiet and the campsites all have plenty of room. No need to book. We did Bunree., Applecross and Durness. Bunree was fabulous with heated showers etc, Applecross muddy but nice, Durness wild but brilliant location. Wending our way back southwards tomorrow. We haven't seen anyone wild camping or any racing cars. I guess October must be a good time to come.

If it had not been for family problems then we would probably have bumped into each other.

October is one of my favourite months for travelling, and presumably Belach na Bar was still open. I've never stopped at Bunree but heard some good reports. Once I'm that far north I prefer to wild camp anyway but always need stopovers to get clothes, van and me properly washed :D

1507223704580309845053.jpg
If it had not been for family problems then we would probably have bumped into each other.

October is one of my favourite months for travelling, and presumably Belach na Bar was still open. I've never stopped at Bunree but heard some good reports. Once I'm that far north I prefer to wild camp anyway but always need stopovers to get clothes, van and me properly washed :D
Didn't go to Belach so don't know! Bunree was in such a pretty location. I imagine it gets booked up in the summer but there was plenty of room this week. Heated floor in shower block made me very happy :)

View attachment 26485

Didn't go to Belach so don't know! Bunree was in such a pretty location. I imagine it gets booked up in the summer but there was plenty of room this week. Heated floor in shower block made me very happy :)

Gorgeous, stunning pic verity, I'm green with jealousy:D

View attachment 26485

Totally agree Bunree is excellent and I think the best pitch is by the river.bunree - Copy.jpg

Here are some of the experiences my wife and I had on our trip to Scotland, mainly on the NC500.
From home in Leeds, we travelled to Housesteads Fort near Hexham, a well preserved/restored Roman site on Hadrians Wall. Then on to Britstop 780, The Pheasant Inn at Kielder Water. Just getting there in time to take the last level parking spot. We had a good meal there and then went on to Kielder Observatory to look at the stars (and clouds)! in this designated dark area. A very informative and entertaining late evening. We got back to The Pheasant Inn at 00:30 and fortunately were able to park in the same level spot
Second day and up to Moffat caravan ing and camping site via Hawick, Selkirk, St Marys loch and the Grey Mares Rail Nature Reserve to see the falls there. The CCC site was efficient and ordered with good facilities but a bit sterile for us.
Third day and on to the Red Squirrel camp site at Glencoe via Luss at Loch Lomond (pretty), and Tyndrum. Then through some amazing views to the camp, stopping briefly at the Bridge of Orchy looking at great views and having a bacon buttie (yes, cooking it in the van)! The camp site is really quirky but in a lovely way. The signs are hand painted and humorous and best of all, when we were there, quiet so we could pick a really secluded pitch. No electric at this site but not a problem. A great sunset followed by 3 deer right outside the van at 07:30! Brilliant.

Sorry, but I can't continue for the moment...
Further ramblings to follow.

Last edited:
It is not rubbish. The access to open land legislation for Scotland excludes vehicular traffic.

The fact that loads are parked up purely indicates a permissive condition, not a right protected by law. The point being made by a lot of parties concerned over our freedom to park wherever it is not specifically prohibited is that the permissive condition is being abused. Fairly soon I suspect a lot of the NC500 car parks and lay-bys are going to be plastered with "No overnight parking" signs.

A similar permissive condition existed in my own backyard, a section of the South coast where overnight parking was tolerated. Tolerated until rubbish bins overflowed, or worse were not used, vans congregated together, the road got blocked, the place early on a Sunday morning resembled the day after a boozy rave. Result is now "no parking after 10pm" signs are everywhere. A resource valued by a responsible few has been taken off them by a bunch of irresponsible idiots in Great whites. I am not great white bashing but that was all I saw parked there, mostly because campers could limbo under the height-restricted car park nearby.
Reckon I know where you're talking about!
It won't be long until they put a restriction along the "the gap".

Back again...and a 'thanks'...for what I have said or for stopping?!
Anyway, here we go.
After seeing the deer on the morning of day 4, we were in a good mood for the onward drive to The Isle of Skye and the Kinloch camp site at Dunvegan. We went around Loch Leven and stopped by the loch to marvel at the mirrored mountains in the flat water and soaked in the calm and tranquility. Beautiful. Off to Fort William for fuel then using the A82/87 to Eilean Donan castle. A wonderful little castle and the second most photographed in Scotland. A cracking place. Great views on the way to the camp site; we were the last to arrive about 18:30. Our pitch for the next 3 days was right next to the sea, about 3 yards away at high tide. We could see right down the loch with the village to our right. Fantastic. We pitched on the 1st night in calm weather but that changed over night in to strong winds and heavy rain. It was a rocky night but thrilling none the less.
The first full day on Skye we went to Neist Point, the most esterly point on the Island. Well worth the visit even though it was still windy. Splendid views of the coast line. I was sure there was a light house but could not see it... until we had walked right around the point; it was hiding behind a great lump of cliff rock. If you are going to the point, I would recommend a visit to Cafe Lephin. Next up was Dunvegan Castle which was ok but just a little disappointing for us. On to Portree to restock on fresh food and a pre wedding anniversary meal out. On the way back to the camp we were overtaken by Police on blues. We soon realised why. A car had hit the side of a prison wagon. The car was missing the offside and the wagon was on the opposite armco with the front right missing! We stopped to see if we could help out. I'm a retired cop and me and wifey have had over 20 years of 1st aid experience through St. John Ambulance. Fortunately, only a minor injury to one person. We were thanked for stopping but our services were not required. Another rough weather night followed and unfortunately when lowering the roof in the morning, I managed to trap some material in the right hinge. Bugger. A 1" tear resulted. We thought we were being so careful too.
Our second full day on Skye and off to the most northerly spot on the island, North Duntulm and then Kilt Rock Waterfall. Great scenery all the way around the top. Kilt Rock was extremely busy with few places to park. I ended up with my nearside in 2" of mud and water. 4wd came in useful. Brilliant views of flat sea and waterfall in the flat autumn sun. We then went passed the Old Man of Storr looking majestic in the sun. We didn't fancy the walk up to see him up close. Back to the camp site via Portree again and a lovely 27th wedding anniversary meal in the Old School restaurant at Dunvegan.

Part 3 to follow tomorrow . Time to take the dog out.

Reckon I know where you're talking about!
It won't be long until they put a restriction along the "the gap".

The restriction is there now.

All those windsurfers, who for so long had it to themselves, are now looking elsewhere just for a few selfish B*****ds.

I run along that stretch, in the road, and it was where I got knocked by a great white, pulling into the centre of the road to go passed a line of great whites, had great whites coming the other day, didn't see the woman in fluorescent "See me" running gear.

He drove on and the police later charged him with "leaving the scene...".... his defence, seriously, was he was totally absorbed about hitting the great white coming towards him he lost sight of the pedestrian / runner in the road.

As the judge said, banning him for a few years and suspending the prison sentence .... "people on foot came before people in motorhomes, and this particular person on foot could not have illuminated her presence any clearer".....

Here are some of the experiences my wife and I had on our trip to Scotland, mainly on the NC500.
From home in Leeds, we travelled to Housesteads Fort near Hexham, a well preserved/restored Roman site on Hadrians Wall. Then on to Britstop 780, The Pheasant Inn at Kielder Water. Just getting there in time to take the last level parking spot. We had a good meal there and then went on to Kielder Observatory to look at the stars (and clouds)! in this designated dark area. A very informative and entertaining late evening. We got back to The Pheasant Inn at 00:30 and fortunately were able to park in the same level spot
Second day and up to Moffat caravan ing and camping site via Hawick, Selkirk, St Marys loch and the Grey Mares Rail Nature Reserve to see the falls there. The CCC site was efficient and ordered with good facilities but a bit sterile for us.
Third day and on to the Red Squirrel camp site at Glencoe via Luss at Loch Lomond (pretty), and Tyndrum. Then through some amazing views to the camp, stopping briefly at the Bridge of Orchy looking at great views and having a bacon buttie (yes, cooking it in the van)! The camp site is really quirky but in a lovely way. The signs are hand painted and humorous and best of all, when we were there, quiet so we could pick a really secluded pitch. No electric at this site but not a problem. A great sunset followed by 3 deer right outside the van at 07:30! Brilliant.

Sorry, but I can't continue for the moment...
Further ramblings to follow.

If you like curries I can highly recommend the Indian in Moffat very close to the site and does fab takeaways.

It means a second look, absolutely no harm in that!:)

This is one of my "must do" trips when I have my Cali - I intended to do it next year anyway with car and tent but feel it will be a bit more special now.
Going to take time, research into what there is to see and do in each 50 mile chunk and then see and do it !
Playing golf at the Most Northerly course in the UK will be in there somewhere but some great pointers from all the posters here.
I've done the spectacular drive to Applecross before so may miss that out to gain time elsewhere
Lots to look forward to !

This is one of my "must do" trips when I have my Cali - I intended to do it next year anyway with car and tent but feel it will be a bit more special now.
Going to take time, research into what there is to see and do in each 50 mile chunk and then see and do it !
Playing golf at the Most Northerly course in the UK will be in there somewhere but some great pointers from all the posters here.
I've done the spectacular drive to Applecross before so may miss that out to gain time elsewhere
Lots to look forward to !

An excellent trip, if you are going to miss out Bealach na ba then may I suggest doing that part of the NC500 when the police make sure you do? Torridon to Loch Carron in winter with bits of snowfall all around is wonderful. When the Cali comes into it's own, surefooted, small, nimble, warm and snug. Simply wonderful. Also a good time to do the Drumbeg peninsular, no midges and even less big whites.