Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Secure cash transfers for Cali sale

S

Scoutydog

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I am thinking of selling my lovely Cali via the Club and want to know a secure way to handle the handover/sale process. Also wonder how people handle test drives as I am not keen to let others drive my vehicle.

Any recommendations?

Re' test drives - bought/sold probably fifty odd vehicles and never once been asked/shown/or asked for insurance. It's pretty much one of those things but to be sure you can ask for the buyer to bring an insurance certificate to show cover for other vehicles, bear in mind it will normally be absolute minimum cover ie damage to a third party only *not* your own vehicle.

Some will not want to drive anyway, others may not be interested unless they can drive.

Always set off first, then go to a safe spot, get out with keys if you're concerned and get back in before giving keys back.

Transfers now IME are all done instantly on the phone or for larger amounts you trust each other and make the transfer before collection or you ring bank at collection time in front of seller and ask them to make the transfer, The buyer can then check online banking or ring their bank to confirm receipt. This is as safe as it can be.

I would not get involved with cash or paper payment (banker's drafts, BS cheques etc).

Before doing this and presuming a gap between viewing/agreement to buy and collection then a deposit is transferred and this being received will confirm all details are correct.

Obviously in general check out the buyer during the initial phone call - again IME buying/selling Cali's the serious buyers know what they are buying and will come across as such, use your judgement and expect a couple to turn up excited - if three blokes in a battered old van then be aware!

I sold ours to a lovely couple who just made it so easy.

Both turned up to look and as @Max-Felix described an excited couple, not three blokes in a van. Having agreed the price, arranged for a Monday pm collection, the money transferred over that day by transfer.

I would not hand over the keys without the money being there.

Test drive, yes but I drove.

I am thinking of selling my lovely Cali via the Club and want to know a secure way to handle the handover/sale process. Also wonder how people handle test drives as I am not keen to let others drive my vehicle.

Any recommendations?

I'd say it's common sense, don't let the Cali go until you have payment in full in your bank account, cleared by your bank. If your Cali is on finance, then it's more tricky.

If you don't feel comfortable letting someone test drive then that's your choice, it just may take longer to sell.

If the whole thing makes you uncomfortable then that's what We Buy Any Car and your local dealer are for, however expect many £'s less.

I have just bought a T5 calli and sold 1977 T2 westy in the space of two weeks. I used bank transfers both times and the money shows in minutes in your account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good afternoon,

I never sold a car privately (only trade-ins with a dealer). Even though it is tricky for the seller, I do understand if the new potential owner would like a test drive. Being in the car while somebody else drives is ok, but does not show the full picture.

This is what I would do:
  1. Contact my insurance company to see what is covered
  2. Contact my bank to get their advise
  3. Ask to see the driving license from the person who want to do the test drive
The strange part is (at least for me), that car dealers never asked me for my driving license. When I took our van for a test drive in November they never checked this. I could have no license at all....

Regards,
Eberhard

Thank you all for your advice. Much appreciated.

Back