Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof corrosion on early T5 - how worried to be? (Photos)

M

Miles0

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi All,

Been looking for an early ish Cali, having seen a few T4 westfalias and known friends T5s I looked at an early T5 recently.

There was a fair amount of bubbling on the lifting roof itself - photos attached. I wanted to test whether this is a kiss of death or something which can be reasonably dealt with - it will be well beyond warranty.

There were a few other areas of bubbling - around the drivers door handle for example, which surprised me too.

Am keen to make an offer if it's fixable, but want to know what I'm signing up for.

Thanks!

Sam

IMG-20210410-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20210410-WA0003.jpg

There are some unexplained small holes in the rubber in the top photo.
Repairs to the raising part of the roof I believe are easier to execute than to the fixed cowling part.
The corrosion elsewhere is a bit of a worry. My 06 T5 lived all its life in Aberdeen and the body is rust free and roof has only a couple of very tiny blisters.

The roof needs remedial works and a respray, the rubber seal needs replaceming.
obviously this cannot be assessed by a photo properly
imo you would need to spend a sum to correct it
IMO I would estimate £2500 should be a figure as a starting point to get the roof respray and rubber roof seal.
it’s like an old house or an antique, the deeper you go the more it will cost
will it affect the use of the vehicle? Probably not

I would estimate £2500 should be a figure as a starting point to get the roof respray and rubber roof seal.
Blimey, I hadn't done the calcs but that's approx double what I'd estimate (out of the dealer network). Obviously adding more for the non-roof problem areas.

Blimey, I hadn't done the calcs but that's approx double what I'd estimate (out of the dealer network). Obviously adding more for the non-roof problem areas.
Hi 2into1
I think the problem you would have it to find a reputable company to take on the repair in the first place.

anyone who was worth using would want to do a proper job, not just tart it up.

the roof is a large area and not flat, so would require a lot of prep and masking to do it properly.

I would imagine the whole perimeter lip to the roof would require a back to bare metal regime, filler, re prep, high build etc primer etc.
I would assume the paint shop would want the roof Bellows off, mask entire van to prevent overspray, including scissors and roof aperture etc. ( protecting the inside of the van)

Paint and Materials would not be that expensive
rubber seal £ ? Assume £250 ?
application of remedial tape should be included in the remedial works. £? Assume material £50
labour would be the most costly part.

Assuming the parts and paint were IRO £600 , that would leave an reasonable amount for labour, allowing for the business to recover overhead and make a healthy profit (private work, not insurance rates) that doesn’t allow much change from £1900 labour & OHP

finding a reputable company with experience and willing to take it on would be the limiting factor due to the Non standard nature of the work, which would attract a premium!

as a sanity check a reputable company would charge IRO £2 - 2.5k for a bottom half respray which arguably would be an easier job

that was my take on it. I may be wrong, but if I was negotiating the purchase of the van with a view to having the work done that’s the train of thought I would follow.

You may be able to get it done cheaper but it may not be a comprehensive remedial action from an paint shop with the relevant experience for remedial work, it may look like a dogs dinner once done which would be my concern ?

Roof seal is £99.50 from Club shop.

Our T5 is 2008 and nowhere near as bad as that. It looks a bit lacking in love from the previous owner. That would worry me. When you leave a van outside year in year out, things start to grow on it. Once a year I do what I call the toothbrush clean. It take well over an hour with soap, jet wash and yes a toothbrush. Ours looks like new but has some minor bubbling. If someone doesn’t wash it (which with a California I would count as maintenance) it would worry me what else they don’t spend time and money on.

Find a classic car bodyshop, not a mainstream one. I’d actually be more worried by rust elsewhere, there really shouldn’t be any.