Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Selling like hot cakes

D

Danny Tyler

What do you have to do to buy a used Cali?? When ever I call one up it is either sold or someone else is on their way to view it, I assumed now being the end of the season it would of turned to a buyers market but it is totally the opposite, some sellers seem to be selling close to dealership prices and getting it.

What do you have to do to buy a used Cali?? When ever I call one up it is either sold or someone else is on their way to view it, I assumed now being the end of the season it would of turned to a buyers market but it is totally the opposite, some sellers seem to be selling close to dealership prices and getting it.
Took me ages to sell mine. Everyone else seemed to find it easy. Yellow must repel people!

Took me ages to sell mine. Everyone else seemed to find it easy. Yellow must repel people!

Absolutely agree - same here - we just sold ours but took longer than I thought it would - I'd say it's a buyers market for sure right now.

Last edited:

What sort of Cali are you looking for ?
I know of one that will be for sale shortly.

Same question. I've traded mine in for a new Ocean but if the price is right!!!

I guess people are getting asking price if selling so fast, if I was selling mine it looks like I would get my money back and still done 6k miles this year.

The way the T6 orders are beeing announced just here , think there wil be a lot T5 owners trading in , the 2nd hand Cali's will drop in price soon....

@sidepod , maybe you can up-grade:D

Yours was a nice van, but I felt you went into too much detail on the price / discount. You showed potential buyers that they were only getting a small additional reduction over ordering new and I think that put buyers off. If you'd just stuck your price out there, I think it would have sold faster.
I'm a fuddy duddy but think grape yellow is a fab colour.

Same question. I've traded mine in for a new Ocean but if the price is right!!!

I'd love to see someone have the b*lls to show what a trade-in price actually looks like. I suspect it's a rubbish deal but some folks want the convenience. Until we see a real offer, it will just remain as speculation.

Although it relates to an older T4 Westy, I bought a van on here for £10500. The seller had been offered £8k by VW against a brand new Cali. I sold the van to a dealer for £18k a week later. Until I see the data, I'll continue to believe that anyone who part exes or sells to 'webuyanycar' etc, has got more money than sense.

Yours was a nice van, but I felt you went into too much detail on the price / discount. You showed potential buyers that they were only getting a small additional reduction over ordering new and I think that put buyers off. If you'd just stuck your price out there, I think it would have sold faster.
I'm a fuddy duddy but think grape yellow is a fab colour.
Perhaps you're right. Suppose I've always spoken too much! Just wanted to be clear on what people were getting. Never mind. Sold in the end but not for as much as I wanted. It was, however, definitely worth more than the £33,000 trade-in quote. I thought they'd come in low, but not that low!

Perhaps you're right. Suppose I've always spoken too much! Just wanted to be clear on what people were getting. Never mind. Sold in the end but not for as much as I wanted. It was, however, definitely worth more than the £33,000 trade-in quote. I thought they'd come in low, but not that low!
I share the same problem! I could never be comfortable in a sales role as I believe any statement needs justifying. Glad you got it away. When does the new one arrive?

Also, thanks for sharing your trade in offer. It supports my earlier statement that anyone part exing has more money than sense.

I share the same problem! I could never be comfortable in a sales role as I believe any statement needs justifying. Glad you got it away. When does the new one arrive?

Also, thanks for sharing your trade in offer. It supports my earlier statement that anyone part exing has more money than sense.
No worries re trade-in. I found it strange they didn't offer a bit more. They could have made an easy £2/3000 I reckon.
New one is being built this week apparently. Hopefully arrives by early Nov.
This one is a keeper (well at least the 5 yr warranty anyway!).

What colour do you have now?
It's going to be... YELLOW! Love that colour. It's a totally fun and vibrant colour for a fun and vibrant vehicle. I think most Cali owners have a smile on their face when they drive their vans, I reckon the yellow adds a little bit more smile to the face.

I've been stalking mobile.de and AutoScout24 of late for all things Cali.

Last count, 441 T5 Calis for sale in Germany.
I bet you'd struggle to find 50 for sale on this country. (Doubtless somebody will provide an exact number).

They deffo get better spec over there.
I do like the Generation/Editions with the white interiors.

P.

I could satisfy your curiosity T4WFA and expose my b*lls by showing a trade-in price here but that's my business. Suffice to say I was more than satisfied with the deal otherwise I would not have concluded it.;)

I could satisfy your curiosity T4WFA and expose my b*lls by showing a trade-in price here but that's my business. Suffice to say I was more than satisfied with the deal otherwise I would not have concluded it.;)
Sorry for exposing my b*lls before. Didn't realise quite how rude I was being.
I think usually we're afraid of telling people what we bought or sold something for because there's usually someone somewhere who got a better deal and then that makes us feel foolish or sad etc. I wasn't happy with selling my van for 36500 but I was stuck between not selling it and trading in for 33000. I am not rich enough to have two vans and so I had to lose a little.

And the point of this retort is?

The OP was finding private prices were approaching dealer levels. You chipped in and suggested you'd undo your part ex deal and sell privately if the price was right.

Dave and I shared experiences of real world experiences of private sales vs dealer offers. Exactly the type of info that could have helped you and the OP.

'What do you have to do to buy a used Cali'. Was simply responding to this T4WFA.:(:thumb

Hi Danny , we advertised on the Cali club web site in August a 3 yr old 180 psi DSG in reflex silver, we could have sold it 5 times over, we had people queuing for an opportunity to come look at it , people as far away as Jersey , Devon and London , as it happens a lovely chap from the Northeast made a near asking price offer from the photographs ! I had people waiting for a phone call if it fell through, one customer offered me above the asking price ! the people who missed out told me the same story about just missing out . Ps . Welcome to the Cali club to my new friend from the Northeast , hope you have as much fun in her as we did x

Hi Danny , we advertised on the Cali club web site in August a 3 yr old 180 psi DSG in reflex silver, we could have sold it 5 times over, we had people queuing for an opportunity to come look at it , people as far away as Jersey , Devon and London , as it happens a lovely chap from the Northeast made a near asking price offer from the photographs ! I had people waiting for a phone call if it fell through, one customer offered me above the asking price ! the people who missed out told me the same story about just missing out . Ps . Welcome to the Cali club to my new friend from the Northeast , hope you have as much fun in her as we did x

This is really what makes the (H-U-G-E) list price of Cali's feasible. Ie that the residuals are second only to supercars.

Back