Separate Charges for Electric Hookup

• Thread starter Eddie&Angie Southport
  • Start date
Eddie&Angie Southport

Eddie&Angie Southport

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi just wondered what experience people have had being charged separately for electricity at sites on top of the pitch price.

In theory I don't have an issue if the price is right. We have just stayed two nights at Bridge House Marina in Garstang, the fridge was on the whole time as we didn't move (but fairly cool weather so didn't have to work too hard) and we used the heater and charged various devices including a laptop for about 3 hours each evening. They use a card system that you add money in advance and they refund any not used and bizarrely we only used 62 pence for the 2 nights which doesn't feel right but not complaining . We have booked another site with friends for Easter and that site charges a £10 a night for electric. Just wondered in reality what is the general use with heater, fridge etc as both charges seem at the extreme ends.

Hi just wondered what experience people have had being charged separately for electricity at sites on top of the pitch price.

In theory I don't have an issue if the price is right. We have just stayed two nights at Bridge House Marina in Garstang, the fridge was on the whole time as we didn't move (but fairly cool weather so didn't have to work too hard) and we used the heater and charged various devices including a laptop for about 3 hours each evening. They use a card system that you add money in advance and they refund any not used and bizarrely we only used 62 pence for the 2 nights which doesn't feel right but not complaining . We have booked another site with friends for Easter and that site charges a £10 a night for electric. Just wondered in reality what is the general use with heater, fridge etc as both charges seem at the extreme ends.
Your PAYG charge seems about right for your usage.
The other site, at £10/ night is making an average charge across all pitches. You'll be paying for the large caravan/motorhome next door running a fridge, 40" TV, and electric fan heaters in the unit and awning 24/7 . If they were on PAYG then they would have been paying £20/night. You win some you lose some I'm afraid.

Thanks, good to know about the PAYG charge. We are not using hookup at Easter but friends of ours are who in tents but with tiny usage for coolbox and charging phones. Caravanners and motorhomers must use loads with full ovens, fridge freezers etc. We have also travelled with tent and EV so would be happy with a switch to PAYG so we trickle charge the car overnight and not feel we are taking the mickey or being overcharged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very happy with PAYG. I wish more sites had it. I'm out all day, even in January and February. At night I use electric for a few LED lights , Fridge and portable induction hot plate, that's about it. Heating is diesel.

I think more sites will be adopting PAYG for hook ups. Burnham Deepdale are installing this now, and as explained, you pay for the electricity at the same tariff the site buys its energy, which seems fair. Something to watch out for is sites that have had an all inclusive overnight rate, then charging for electricity on top.

Excellent site local to me, hope you enjoyed it.

Absolutely brilliant and best shower block ever, the first I’ve been to in the UK to rival and even beat Dutch ones. Nice to see quite a few campervans there and not just big whites. Excellent for walking along the canal to a few pubs. Will definitely stay again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a Beach owner I rarely need EHU so particularly try to avoid sites where it’s bundled in. On the few occasions I do pay I use little in comparison to the great whites so PAYG the best option for me. Paying my own energy bills is enough without funding others

Thanks for the heads up, we’ll be making sure when booking sites that the electric hook up rates are prominently displayed. The decent sites will hopefully go with PAYG but I guess it will cost to install. Let’s hope it’s not just another means of extracting cash !

Back