Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Serbia, Bulgaria, Romania anyone?

NickE

NickE

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I'm planning to pop in on Serbia, Bulgaria and Romania this holiday on the way to Turkey. Anyone visited them in a Cali? Any views, experiences or advice?

things may have changed as its a few years since i passed that way on my mtorbike,
but they are lovely countries and really freindly locals.
one thing though, the pot holes on some roads were big enough to swim in.
have you considered the overnight ferry from ancona to greece?

Hi Nicke, I have travelled around in those three countries, they are really beautiful (especially Romamia). We wanted to get down to the Daube delta in Romaina and had decided to drive through Hungary and then into Transilvania. The problems we had concerned are innsurance; any theft in those countries would not be covered. Perhaps you will need to check yours first? If you decide to drive through Bavaria for the night we could always put you up for a night :)

Adrian

I am currently just outside Dubrovnic on a motorbike trip.

I can thoroughly recommend Slovenia and Croatia which have great roads, friendly and attractive natives and no insurance worries !

Am writing this from Nis is Serbia, having just gone through Croatia, Montenegro, Albania, Greece and Bulgaria.

You need your v5c and an insurance green card for Montenegro and Albania. Bulgaria and Serbia didn't ask. Bulgaria and serbia roads OK. Very friendly and helpful people everywhere. Food in Albania great, but rubbish is dumped everywhere and roads a total disaster.

I got bolt on insurance for Albania and Montenegro through Adrian flux - 45 for 3 weeks. Complete pita to get them to issue a green card - their staff didn't know what it was. Bulgaria, Serbia and Romania were included in the policy.

Halkidiki in Greece lovely for a few days on the beach.

One last thing - free camping is illegal in most of the Balkans.

I dont know what a v5c is!! I do have a green card, in august i will be driving to cornwall and I needed it for that. The german innsurance companies are very restrictive as far as the old east iron curtain countries. I have been there several times and enjoyed the food and people immensly. I guess the innsurance restrictions have evolved due to the high level of theft in these countries. Having said that.. germany is well known for its innsurance policies, seems like every danger is ruled out.

Adrian

Thanks for all the replies, guys and girls! Very useful. And thanks very much for your very kind offer, Alfrla. If you are serious PM me and I might take you up on it!

Great to hear all the positive experiences, that is encouraging. We did Slovenia and Croatia last year (tent) camping: roads, campsites etc no probs at all, similar to rest of Europe.

On the Insurance front. I'm with Comfort: all EU and Serbia fully comp as standard. Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia Herzegovina and Macedonia NOT covered. Green Card (£17.50) for Turkey fully comp. I will change insurance next year if those countries still not covered. (But not, by the sounds of things, to Adrian Flux!)

Got your PM, Alfrla. Did you get mine?

Alfrla said:
NickE said:
Got your PM, Alfrla. Did you get mine?

No i didn´t!

Well, I've sent you another one. Don't rely on the User Control Panel saying: (0 new messages). It said that with me and when I looked in my inbox and there was a new message from you.