Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Showing wrong volt in control panel compared to leisure battery

T

Tensorman

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi I own a VW California 2005 174 HP 4motion.
I have a electrical problem with the battery status on the control panel.It shows a votage of around 10-11 volt. but leisure battery is 12.6 volt.
I have made the earth shunt under the fridge and this did not fix the problem.

And the problem is that the fridge is cutting out, I think this is because it seems like low voltage on the battery on the status. but measuring directly on the battery it is 12.6volt.

I then measured the fuses under the passanger seat and the two left upper has 10volt .
But when I pulled out the fuse for the control panel upper right corner. the measurement was 12.6 v in the two fuses.
So what is the issue and how do I fix it?

Any tips can be helpfull.

california.jpg

Hi I own a VW California 2005 174 HP 4motion.
I have a electrical problem with the battery status on the control panel.It shows a votage of around 10-11 volt. but leisure battery is 12.6 volt.
I have made the earth shunt under the fridge and this did not fix the problem.

And the problem is that the fridge is cutting out, I think this is because it seems like low voltage on the battery on the status. but measuring directly on the battery it is 12.6volt.

I then measured the fuses under the passanger seat and the two left upper has 10volt .
But when I pulled out the fuse for the control panel upper right corner. the measurement was 12.6 v in the two fuses.
So what is the issue and how do I fix it?

Any tips can be helpfull.

View attachment 79488
What do those 2 fuses power?
When you measured 10v was that across the fuse or to the chassis?
Have you checked the - tve ground/earth points on the chassis under the seat.?

Also check the cube fuse on the rear battery

What do those 2 fuses power?
When you measured 10v was that across the fuse or to the chassis?
Have you checked the - tve ground/earth points on the chassis under the seat.?
I don`t know what the 2 fuses are for? maybe someone knows.
10v was fuse to chassis, all the other fuses showed 12.6 volt as the battery does.
i did not check the tve ground earth points under the seat. Do you have a photo. ?

Also check the cube fuse on the rear battery
Hi I have checked this and it was ok. I think it has to do with the 3 fuses on top in the picture. And the power cables that goes to this? but if someone knows where these fuses belongs it would help.

I don`t know what the 2 fuses are for? maybe someone knows.
10v was fuse to chassis, all the other fuses showed 12.6 volt as the battery does.
i did not check the tve ground earth points under the seat. Do you have a photo. ?
Fuse positions change from vehicle to vehicle, only VW know why. If you take 1 out, what doesn't work?

Fuse positions change from vehicle to vehicle, only VW know why. If you take 1 out, what doesn't work?
ok I will try to check this later today. its weird it`s not the same on every vehicle.

Check and clean these terminals as each of the red supply cables goes to one block of fuses. Remove polish and then retighten.
IMG_3925.jpegIMG_3923.jpeg

Have you checked the bridge of the fuse (where it connects the 2 legs). If it is burnt but stuck together again, very thinly, it will read a voltage but not the right one.

So after investegating more i think these 3 wire are connected to the one a bit bigger wire that goes to the battery. They go under the seat and continue back in the car under the carpet. Anyone knows where they are connected together?

20210603_193348.jpg

20210603_193338.jpg

So after investegating more i think these 3 wire are connected to the one a bit bigger wire that goes to the battery. They go under the seat and continue back in the car under the carpet. Anyone knows where they are connected together?

View attachment 79512

View attachment 79513
If those 3 go into one like you suggest then you need to carefully cut off the nylon brading to find the join

So I finally found the fault. It was indeed the tree 3 cables from the 3 top fuses that connects to one big red cable that goes to the battery pole. It was bad I will post picture.

Pictures shows the joint connection that is totally corroded away.

20210605_172826.jpg

20210605_172802.jpg

20210605_172648.jpg

Back